The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #1
Ol' Drippy

Windshield Install

I recently bought a 72 Suburban project and one thing it didn't come with is a windshield. I am having a hell of a time finding anyone to install it in the Washington D.C. area. The first guy came out said "I'll be done in 45 minutes", then spent over 2 hours fiddling around until he gave up and left. He did not come back. The second guy I explained in detail to the phone dispatcher the vehicle and she said sure I have the perfect guy for the job, he showed up and said "I can't do this, it is a 2 man job". Well why didn't you bring someone else! He did not come back. The third place wanted me to bring the truck to them (it doesn't run). Does anyone know someone who can help me in the DMV area? Should I try and install it myself?

Last edited by Ol' Drippy; 09-09-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Ol' Drippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Windshield Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Drippy View Post
I recently bought a 72 Suburban project and one thing it didn't come with is a windshield. I am having a hell of a time finding anyone to install it in the Washington D.C. area. The first guy came out said "I'll be done in 45 minutes", then spent over 2 hours fiddling around until he have up and left. He did not come back. The second guy I explained in detail to the phone dispatcher the vehicle and she said sure I have the perfect guy for the job, he showed up and said "I can't do this, it is a 2 man job". Well why didn't you bring someone else! He did not come back. The third place wanted me to bring the truck to them (it doesn't run). Does anyone know someone who can help me in the DMV area? Should I try and install it myself?
They're not too hard to install and there are quite a few threads on the board about installing them. Get a good gasket (Precision seems to make the best) and be patient. It does make it easier if you have a helper.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
jayoldschool

This should give you an idea of how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8sX1KR6J0
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #4
72tutone

Massive pain in the butt. Use lots of soap and water. Will definitely need a helper. Make sure if you have the stainless trim you put in during install. I don't think you can put it in after the fact
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
sick472

My windshield install was a pain. The company that I hired to do mine at my shop failed on the first two attempts. First time, they cracked the glass...second time, it leaked at the upper corners (bad). The third time I was able to drive it to their shop where an older man worked (he could not leave town for medical reasons, they said) and he made it look easy and did it by himself with the exception of lifting it onto the truck. He could have done that by himself too, but another guy happened by and offered to help. He was the one that had been around long enough to know what he was doing.

The shop didn't charge me anything extra and upheld their end of the deal, but it was frustrating as the trim does get boogered up and needed some scratches sanded and buffed back out after each attempt.

The key to a non-leaking windshield is to apply urethane to the inside of the gasket (all the way around) before the cord goes in and then use a fine tip to do the same between the glass and the gasket on the outside. How this older man put just enough in the gasket so that the cord didn't pull it out and make a mess on the interior is beyond me. The the key to the outside caulking is to put enough in so that it smooshes out onto the glass and let it set up for a few days and then carefully remove the excess with a razor blade.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
custom10nut

OMG, I feel your pain!
I went back and forth with the shop that was recommended to me, as the “Best in Columbia SC”.
I went in three times and “the Guy” that could do it wasn’t in, even though he was on the schedule.
So I get in there, the guy is there, and he comes out and says “oh, it’s a 70” and “you’re not putting the stainless steel trim in it, are you?”
He went in and *****ed at the owner, then came out and gave me a serious attitude about the gasket and trim.
I went and did some things and came back a couple hours later, only to find they ordered the glass with the shaded top, and the trim didn’t lay right, and the gasket is buckled inside. The owner claimed the “Gasket must be wrong” (Precision), and the trim “must be aftermarket”. No I told him that I took it from a 70 in a junkyard 25 years ago..
I was furious! I was over a barrel because I was moving to Tennessee the next day, and couldn’t just leave it to be fixed. I told him I was just going to reverse the charge on my credit card, and he immediately took off the install charge.
So, I still have a poorly installed shaded windshield, that leaks in heavy rain. Now, I’m looking for a good shop that can do the job right, here in Tennessee.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
SkidmoreGarage

I just went through this myself. One place wanted $700, another wouldn't touch the 67 trim and said I'd have to buy the "superior" 70-71 trim.

I just gave up and installed it myself (alone and successful the first time). It was NOT that hard. I'll give my advice here for anyone else who's fed up with "glass installers" who won't touch a windshield that doesn't need glue and a computer.

Tips:
Buy a precision gasket for your truck, year and trim.
Soak the gasket in HOT soapy water (dish soap) and then scrub any of the mold release off
Install the gasket on the new clean windshield and let it sit for 24 hrs
Install the trim into the gasket starting at the top, with the corner pieces in.
Use painters tape to secure the trim and gasket as you go, starting at the front side of the window, around the gasket and under
Pay particular attention to the corner pieces, you do not want the corners to pop out as you install it.
Install the bottom two trim pieces using tape to secure them once they are in the channel and flat.
Use painters tape to support the corners to the trim, this makes sure the gasket relaxes to the trim and it doesn't stick up at the top corners.
Now let the taped up trim and gasket sit for 24hrs. Make sure the gasket is tight to the windshield and adjust the tape as needed.
Next use nylon cord, like the stuff for a lawn mower pull, and tuck it far into the gasket dry.
I wrapped the cord starting at the bottom, I did this because the tight corners are harder to install, and it helps center the window using the top. Make sure to tape your ends to the correct side of the window.
Buy at least 2 harbor freight suction cups, but I used 3. One of the double handles and two smaller. Also pick up a plastic trim prybar set.
Remove your bench seat if possible. It makes the job much more comfortable and it's only 4 bolts.
Spray glass cleaner into and on the gasket.
Place the windshield in the frame.
Start pulling the rope, a little bit from each side at the top. Use the suction cups to close any gaps and allow you to "push the gasket onto the window frame.
The sharp corners are tricky and require a little finesse but will stay in.
Keep moving around the windshield and make sure to seat the gasket before continuing.
The bottom is tricky but I didn't have any issues with it coming out. Just apply pressure when it looks like the gasket needs help.

It will then settle into the frame and you can pull all of the tape pieces off the windshield. They slide right out from using the glass cleaner.

Hopefully that wall of text makes sense, but anyone who is determined can do this.
Attached Images

SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #8
jumpsoffrock

Well this is just great, I have a good piece of glass in my bad cab, and have a better cab lined up but it needs new glass. I was gonna look for someone to swap them but now it sounds like most shops are incompetent. Good news is that neither have the stainless trim though. don't need that.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #9
sick472

Not installing the stainless trim makes a big difference. You can see it in the installers face when you say you are using the trim (or not). And, not all installers are inexperienced, you just need to vet that before counting on them.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
Old 09-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #10
SkidmoreGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Not installing the stainless trim makes a big difference. You can see it in the installers face when you say you are using the trim (or not). And, not all installers are inexperienced, you just need to vet that before counting on them.
This! I do not mean to disparage all auto glass people or shops. There are great guys and gals out there, but if you call all of the hot rod shops and forum members in your town for recommendations and end up with nothing after a dozen phone calls- Don't panic, just get to work!
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #11
morepwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
I just went through this myself. One place wanted $700, another wouldn't touch the 67 trim and said I'd have to buy the "superior" 70-71 trim.

I just gave up and installed it myself (alone and successful the first time). It was NOT that hard. I'll give my advice here for anyone else who's fed up with "glass installers" who won't touch a windshield that doesn't need glue and a computer.

Tips:
Buy a precision gasket for your truck, year and trim.
Soak the gasket in HOT soapy water (dish soap) and then scrub any of the mold release off
Install the gasket on the new clean windshield and let it sit for 24 hrs
Install the trim into the gasket starting at the top, with the corner pieces in.
Use painters tape to secure the trim and gasket as you go, starting at the front side of the window, around the gasket and under
Pay particular attention to the corner pieces, you do not want the corners to pop out as you install it.
Install the bottom two trim pieces using tape to secure them once they are in the channel and flat.
Use painters tape to support the corners to the trim, this makes sure the gasket relaxes to the trim and it doesn't stick up at the top corners.
Now let the taped up trim and gasket sit for 24hrs. Make sure the gasket is tight to the windshield and adjust the tape as needed.
Next use nylon cord, like the stuff for a lawn mower pull, and tuck it far into the gasket dry.
I wrapped the cord starting at the bottom, I did this because the tight corners are harder to install, and it helps center the window using the top. Make sure to tape your ends to the correct side of the window.
Buy at least 2 harbor freight suction cups, but I used 3. One of the double handles and two smaller. Also pick up a plastic trim prybar set.
Remove your bench seat if possible. It makes the job much more comfortable and it's only 4 bolts.
Spray glass cleaner into and on the gasket.
Place the windshield in the frame.
Start pulling the rope, a little bit from each side at the top. Use the suction cups to close any gaps and allow you to "push the gasket onto the window frame.
The sharp corners are tricky and require a little finesse but will stay in.
Keep moving around the windshield and make sure to seat the gasket before continuing.
The bottom is tricky but I didn't have any issues with it coming out. Just apply pressure when it looks like the gasket needs help.

It will then settle into the frame and you can pull all of the tape pieces off the windshield. They slide right out from using the glass cleaner.

Hopefully that wall of text makes sense, but anyone who is determined can do this.
Excellent right up! I did pretty much this and had a friend helping to put pressure in places and the best advice is to take your time. It can get a little frustrating but step back for a bit and then go back to it and you will get it in.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #12
truckster

To be fair, we're talking about a technology that's not been in common use since long before most current glass installers were born. For them it's primarily a liability issue; if they break the glass due to their unfamiliarity with the installation method, they have to pay for it.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #13
tinman_local2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
My windshield install was a pain. The company that I hired to do mine at my shop failed on the first two attempts. First time, they cracked the glass...second time, it leaked at the upper corners (bad). The third time I was able to drive it to their shop where an older man worked (he could not leave town for medical reasons, they said) and he made it look easy and did it by himself with the exception of lifting it onto the truck. He could have done that by himself too, but another guy happened by and offered to help. He was the one that had been around long enough to know what he was doing.

The shop didn't charge me anything extra and upheld their end of the deal, but it was frustrating as the trim does get boogered up and needed some scratches sanded and buffed back out after each attempt.

The key to a non-leaking windshield is to apply urethane to the inside of the gasket (all the way around) before the cord goes in and then use a fine tip to do the same between the glass and the gasket on the outside. How this older man put just enough in the gasket so that the cord didn't pull it out and make a mess on the interior is beyond me. The the key to the outside caulking is to put enough in so that it smooshes out onto the glass and let it set up for a few days and then carefully remove the excess with a razor blade.
Which shop did your windshield? I'm going to need one soon and wasn't sure which place to trust.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #14
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_local2 View Post
Which shop did your windshield? I'm going to need one soon and wasn't sure which place to trust.
Mark's Mobile Glass did mine. Even though they struggled with it, they stood by their work. It was very affordable. IIRC, it was about 300 for the front and rear to be installed (trim on both and they supplied the front glass only, I supplied the first set of gaskets and the rear slider glass).

Upfront, I gave them every opportunity to charge me appropriately, knowing that the "old way", my pickiness, and the 10 miles that they would have to travel to get to my shop would likely be more than what there computer suggested. All in all, they spent about 10 hours total (three attempts on the front and two on the back) to get it right. I'd say I got my money's worth, but would have preferred to have payed a couple hundred more and got it done the first time. They may not be this cheap the next time someone calls with an old truck. You want Steve to do it (I think that was his name)...the seasoned, patient, quiet man that works out of their shop a few days a week.

Skidmore, Great write-up! I'll add to it regarding the trim.

The trim does not sit real flush in some places after the glass is in and you can use a pair of duckbill pliers (the wider and thinner jawed, the better. The man that did mine had a custom ground pair of pliers that were about 3/4" wide with one of the jaws ground down real thin so that it could get up under the gasket easier. After I got my truck back home, I used the same method with a standard pair of craftsmen duckbills and improved the trim lay even further. I cannot say I got it perfect, but at some point the risk of ripping the gasket or breaking the glass got the better of me.)...then grip the gasket on the glass side (this is on the outside of the cab) and give the gasket some light pulling while pressing in on the trim. The has to be done a little at a time, moving along the area that has the trim not laying flush. Spraying soap water liberally helps, but also makes gripping the gasket more difficult. After a foot so of pulling the gasket and pressing the trim, I would stop and "slap" the trim with the bottom of my fist to help the trim settle further into the gasket.

There is something, albeit minor, to the idea that the glass, gasket, and trim will settle-in with time. I would say my trim lay improved slightly after a few weeks of being driven and being parked in and out of the sun, but get it as good as you can at first as this "settling-in" may have been my imagination. It does not make mediocre installation go away as a frustrated installer might suggest.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
Old 09-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
old51sedan

After my truck was painted, I tried installing the windshield, new gasket, and help from a friend. Long story short we broke it. He then told me he knew a guy that installs all of his glass, even his semi. I had another nice windshield, called the guy, he came out installed the gasket on the glass, put rope on it, sprayed soap and water on it, added a suction cup on the front, picked it up, walked over to the truck layer it along the bottom, slid it over to the passenger side, then started pulling the bottom lip out all the way across and up the sides while slapping the glass down farther towards the bottom. He then got in the truck pulled the rope around the bottom, kept slapping the glass on both sides on the out side, I watched it keep sliding down. Then he pulled the rope around the top edges, use a tool on the out side to make sure it was sealed and he was done. Took him on 25 minutes, I paid him 75.00 an that was it. That's all he has even done, grew up in a glass shop that is dad owned. I have is card handy in case he's needed again.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #16
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Drippy View Post
I recently bought a 72 Suburban project and one thing it didn't come with is a windshield. I am having a hell of a time finding anyone to install it in the Washington D.C. area. The first guy came out said "I'll be done in 45 minutes", then spent over 2 hours fiddling around until he gave up and left. He did not come back. The second guy I explained in detail to the phone dispatcher the vehicle and she said sure I have the perfect guy for the job, he showed up and said "I can't do this, it is a 2 man job". Well why didn't you bring someone else! He did not come back. The third place wanted me to bring the truck to them (it doesn't run). Does anyone know someone who can help me in the DMV area? Should I try and install it myself?
Banner glass in Leesburg put the glass in my 57. However that has been about 15 years ago. We used them exclusively at the body shop I worked at the time. All these years later it’s still leak free. Call Terry’s autobody and stingrays autobody, both in Purcellville and ask if they have any suggestions. Both do quite a bit of resto work on old stuff and probably will have a lead for you. I’ve been gone from the area for close to 10 years but I know both those shops are the ones to go to for older stuff.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 09-10-2021 at 09:22 AM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:06 AM   #17
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
After my truck was painted, I tried installing the windshield, new gasket, and help from a friend. Long story short we broke it. He then told me he knew a guy that installs all of his glass, even his semi. I had another nice windshield, called the guy, he came out installed the gasket on the glass, put rope on it, sprayed soap and water on it, added a suction cup on the front, picked it up, walked over to the truck layer it along the bottom, slid it over to the passenger side, then started pulling the bottom lip out all the way across and up the sides while slapping the glass down farther towards the bottom. He then got in the truck pulled the rope around the bottom, kept slapping the glass on both sides on the out side, I watched it keep sliding down. Then he pulled the rope around the top edges, use a tool on the out side to make sure it was sealed and he was done. Took him on 25 minutes, I paid him 75.00 an that was it. That's all he has even done, grew up in a glass shop that is dad owned. I have is card handy in case he's needed again.
My experience as well. I guy who does interior work locally for me asked me one day if I wanted to replace the cracked and outside edge fogged windshield on my C0. I asked how much and he told me $250. I watched and assisted him and in about 45 minutes had my windshield replaced.

Compentent installers are out there. It may just take a little while to find. My guy did it the same way old51sedans did it as well. Must be the tried and true way. I do remember that he did add a dob of sealant on the upper corners of the windshield gasket to insure no leaks.

1968 C20 327, 4 speed manual, LWB stock height custom camper with heavy duty leaf springs rear, 50th anniversary edition. Hoping to press into daily drive status soon.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #18
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

OEM trim isn’t an issue for a competent installer. The repro trim isn’t shaped correctly and never seems to fit.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #19
Ol' Drippy

Update, I finally managed to install the windshield myself using the aftermarket stainless. This is definitely not a job for the faint of heart, I used the youtube video from LMC as a guide.
It took me about 3 hours of work to get the gasket and stainless on the windshield having never done it before. Then another 3.5 hours with a friend to finally get the windshield in the truck, it was a real pain in the ass. We had the windshield in and out about 3 times before we could get it in. The stainless on the sides kept popping out even though it was taped and yes like everyone says it doesn't fit too well especially on the curved corners. I ended up kinking one of the corners a little trying to get it to sit flush but its on there.

I tried pulling the rope starting at the top but doing that we could never get the bottom to seat. Eventually we got the bottom lip on first, then moved to the top. The bottom kept slipping out so we had to continually go back to the bottom lip and rework it in place. Once we had the top and sides in, I ended up having to sit on the windshield (I am not small) and kind of bounce around while a friend worked the lower lip on. We repeated this process many times before everything was finally in place. It took way more pressure than just one person pushing on the windshield with their hands.

The ball end tool in the video is very useful and was essential for pulling the lip on, I wonder how they installed these at the plant back in the day? Needless to say I am not eager to put another windshield in anytime soon but at least its done!

Last edited by Ol' Drippy; 11-03-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Ol' Drippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #20
CC69Rat

KY Jelly in the windshield grove and around the cab / windshield gasket area, and it will go in much easier.

Precision gasket, use the early trim, and have two helpers. One inside and one outside with you. One on one side of the truck, one on the other.

Watch the Precision videos and it will not be a big deal. I'll be installing all my own from here on out. But seriously, KY works really well.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #21
samkost

Not an easy job.
My restoration shop subbed out to a national auto glass company.
They tried and gave up ruining my Precision gasket.
Luckily they didn't ruin or tweak the OE stainless trim.
Took my truck back without the front glass.
I was lucky to find a knowledgeable installer in my area and got to watch the installation with his partner.
He used KY or a similar water based lubrication around the perimeter of the gasket to the windshield pinch welds but not in the trim groove.
My extra hand(s) came in handy also.
Extra hands helps!
Kudos to you guys who installed your own windshields with trim.
Attached Images

samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #22
CC69Rat

Water based lube (I used the CVS version of KY) in the windshield grove of the gasket. Definitely not in the trim grove. I use qtips and kinda open up that grove as I work the gasket around the windshield.

The key to not pulling the corners of the trim out during install is the windshield has to be able to kinda shift in the gasket as you rope it in. If it cant, it will bind the gasket and pull that trim 'lock' lip out of its grove (channel)

The water based lube wont get all over your dash either like a spray soap / water. And of course any residual just dries up and it's easy to clean up.

The 67-70 trim and gasket are very much preferred over the later trim. The grove is deeper and tends not to pull out as bad.

Just take your time. Having 3 people definitely helps.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote