The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #51
ThreeQtr

Re: 70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

Didn't you hear , the whole family is 'down under'.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ome?highlight=
ThreeQtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #52
1leglance

Wow it has been awhile since I updated this.....oh yeah it is cuz we have been out playing in the burb instead of building it

I have done a few temp ghetto test things to figure out what I want. Nothing worth posting, just made a file box into a center console to figure out the hgt & size I want, made a temp laptop stand and tried a few versions of the rear setup.

But today I did a real life mod and I love it. Huge thanks to the thread here and all the stuff I have been and will be learning from everyone.

Went from the original hatch struts

Added 4 of the original ball studs for the gas pedal...keeping it Chevy after all.

And ended up with gas struts for the rear hatch....love it! All high tech and stuff....hey I am not a Luddite even if I do like the old iron

My goal is to drive & camp the crap out of the rig until Feb/March...working a ton of overtime to build up the cash stash.
Then shove the 6.2 turbo diesel/700r4 overdrive trans/NP20? transfer case/big axles with disc brakes & lockers/and maybe another inch of lift.....but I want to get it done quickly and be back on the trail.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #53
1leglance

Well it has been 11 months since I last updated this thread so after catching some crap over that from friends it is time to bring folks up to speed.

Been doing a bunch of this....

While stopping for way too much of this....

Which takes money away from these...

So after the hotest summer on record here in Phoenix where me & boys did a bunch of body work...

We picked this up from MAACO in Tempe Az....

And this is how we felt...

Last edited by 1leglance; 09-30-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #54
1leglance

Well we put it all back together and started building a roof rack to hold my Hannibal Awning & FrontRunner table...solar and traction devices wll go up there also....

And it went off for some killer window time...super duper thermal blocking stuff that makes an amazing difference here in brutal Phoenix...

And here is a shot with the rack & awning installed....

Now I still need to add some camp shots from this weekend..
Add some pics of the sound deadening & thermal insulation work we did before paint...
And pics of the interior work that is part way completed.

Oh and it is going for custom springs this week...
Coming up soon with the kind help of Nick-Noibn we are slapping in some new axles with ARB lockers front & rear, 700r4 & 208 combo and a few othre bits along the way...

Then come spring will finally be the 6.2 turbo diesel drop in....happy day happy day

Last edited by 1leglance; 09-30-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #55
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Looking great Lance! Nice color combo.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #56
1leglance

It is actually the blue paint code off my granddad's 72 truck which we will be getting off to paint soon.
We really wanted them to match.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #57
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Hey Lance, I was thinking... I have to wheels that would be perfect for ya. These were off my M1010 and are mil-spec 16" GM wheels.

1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
Old 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #58
justcuz

Lance,

What's the plans for the springs? As I recall you are running 255/85x16 tires correct? The stance is nice, another inch or two at max would be perfect.
Are you keeping the front Dana 44 and installing later outers or changing over to a 8 lug 10 bolt and a 14 bolt rear. I think you will like the 700/208 combo. You will have a better low gear in the trans and a better low range in the t-case. Should suite you fine. Nick knows about the importance of properly adjusting the TV cable for the 700 I am sure. If not a quick web search will explain it. Also 700's last much better when run cooler. I've added a factory external cooler from an 88 to 98 Chevy truck to my stuff (Its from the factory towing package) and they are plentiful in the wrecking yards. I usually buy the cooler, bracket and the one transmission line that returns to the transmission from the cooler.

Does your current factory axles have 4.10 gears or 4.56? The 700 will turn 4.10's to approximately 2.90's on the highway and 4.56's to 3.20's on the road. So even if you are lucky enough to come up with a set of 1 ton 4.56 axles (Dana 60 front and 14 bolt FF rear) the gearing will be nice for highway cruising.

My recent trip to Washington state allowed me to see several of this generation Suburban and got me drooling. I wish I could trade my 71 C/10 for a burb!
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #59
1leglance

Howdy Mike...do you have 2 or 4 of those Mil Spec wheels sir?

Justcuz, great questions...
Valley Spring here in Phx just made my sprngs..sorry need to post more pics. I jacked up my rig till I had trouble getting in/out with my fake leg and told them to stay under that measurement. They did a great job and it came out to about a 3in lift with nice soft springs for Baja washboard.
Nick and I swaped out axles and now I have a Dana 44 front with disc brakes and ARB locker along with the 14bolt rear also with an ARB.
The 700r4 is in and thanks to Nick a well adjusted TV cable also.
This weekend will be tcase, brake lines and if we are lucky one of the driveshafts Nick has will work and I will only need to mod the other.
Then back to Valley Spring for custom shock mounts & Fox Resevior Shocks with Hydralic Bumpstops on front.
Then it comes back to Nicks for final touches before we head out on a Bday weekend fun the first weekend in Nov (his bday and mine are very close).

I will grab some more pics this weekend and update the thread.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #60
justcuz

When you get a chance pictures would be nice.
I may be in the Prescott area that weekend, any chance you will be around there, I will drive out and have a couple cold ones with you guys.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #61
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Howz about an update Lance??
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #62
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Howz about an update Lance??
Yeah, Lance.

I know for a fact SOMETHING was done to it recently as I spent an hour and a half washing the evidence of its stay off of my driveway tonight.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #63
1leglance

Yeah Yeah, bunch of whinners...
Just cuz ya'll hang out on the web all the time

I do really need to get some pics up or no one will believe how much hard work Nick-mosesburb did over the last month.
Funny thing it 1/2 of it was stuff that was fine until my rig hit his driveway

The list of recent updates...
Front Dana 44 with ARB locker
Rear 14bolt with ARB locker
New mastercylinder,
used/new booster,
hard brakelines hand bent by NICK (very nicely done),
new soft lines
new water pump
carb choke (thanks Nick for that bday present)
super cool brake peddle (that really needs a pic) to help my fake legged self
fridge mount welded by my older son (Nick taught him a ton of welding skill)
sleep platform welded also by my older son & assisted by my younger son
rebuilt rear seat bracket by my older son
B&M mega shifter...cue big hair 80's music cuz I love a rachet shifter
later model tcase shifter (ditched the custom cable I had made)
700r4
208 with a slip yoke eliminator dodge output (don't ask Nick his thoughts on how that all went)
new driveshaft from Nicks custom parts stash
new front driveshaft
New tranny cooler with tstat and very nice lines run by Nick
new plug wires
new parking brake cables
why does that list seem so short compared to the hours logged??????

This morning it went to Valley Spring for Fox resevior shocks & front hydralic bumpstops & custom shock mounts (to give me fatter, longer shock options)
I also need to get some exhaust work due to tcase changes.

My hope is to get the rig back on Wed for a short shake down run in some dirt near town...then on Friday I will shake it down a bit more, pack her up and be ready for Sat am when we will hit the road with Nick's family for a combined bday weekend Southern Arizona Adventure.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #64
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
Yeah Yeah, bunch of whinners...
Just cuz ya'll hang out on the web all the time
Your vehicle was severely cutting into my web time .

Quote:
I do really need to get some pics up or no one will believe how much hard work Nick-mosesburb did over the last month.
Supervision is hard work.

Quote:
Funny thing it 1/2 of it was stuff that was fine until my rig hit his driveway
Resisting urge to knock that one out of the park.....

Quote:
carb choke (thanks Nick for that bday present)
super cool brake peddle (that really needs a pic) to help my fake legged self
Those two are backwards. You bought the choke, the artificial-limb-friendly brake pedal was the birthday present. Hope you like it .

Quote:
why does that list seem so short compared to the hours logged??????
Because I'm slow. Real slow. Be glad I don't charge by the hour....
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #65
RANDY COX

Well you got me really seriously missing my burb 70 4x4 250 six 3spd, had to sell it a few yrs back, I think it was the same color blue, I've been just Drooling on yours it's lookin great and your using it. Love it and also love that your sons are pitching in to help great Father and son time unforgettable memories. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #66
DirtyLarry

Lance, Nick,

If there are no pictures, none of what you said really happened. For all we know you two are making this up. We’re going to need picture proof

I think it is great you went with the same color as your grandpa’s truck so you’ll have a matching set once the truck gets painted. I was wondering about the paint color as I didn’t think that color of blue was original to your Burb. Now it all makes sense.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #67
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Lance, Nick,

If there are no pictures, none of what you said really happened. For all we know you two are making this up. We’re going to need picture proof
I'll send you a picture of my clean driveway. As for truck pictures, you'll have to talk to Lance about that......
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #68
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Howdy Mike...do you have 2 or 4 of those Mil Spec wheels sir?
I have 4 of them.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #69
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
I'll send you a picture of my clean driveway. As for truck pictures, you'll have to talk to Lance about that......
Ha, pictures and Lance!? Hell, I still haven’t seen a single picture from our White Rim trail trip we took 2 years ago
Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #70
justcuz

I am not on the net all the time! Returned home from my Mojave Trail trip last night. Not a lot of pictures and nowhere near the quality of Nicks stuff but I will post them in the 88-98 truck section either this evening or tomorrow. All went well except coming across Soda Lake towards the end of the trip. A couple of sudden drop offs and following washboard completely decimated the back of the Suburban. My ice chest must have done a complete flip and emptied its contents in the rear compartment of the Sub. So my job today is clean, clean, clean. The washboard pounded all the grease out of the ball joints! I'll explain more of the event in my post. For those that don't know I took my 1993 Suburban on this trip.
Lance we really do need pictures, your Suburban is coming along to nicely for us to be satisfied with just descriptive postings. Remember "A picture is worth a thousand words."
Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #71
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
I am not on the net all the time! Returned home from my Mojave Trail trip last night. Not a lot of pictures and nowhere near the quality of Nicks stuff but I will post them in the 88-98 truck section either this evening or tomorrow. All went well except coming across Soda Lake towards the end of the trip. A couple of sudden drop offs and following washboard completely decimated the back of the Suburban. My ice chest must have done a complete flip and emptied its contents in the rear compartment of the Sub. So my job today is clean, clean, clean. The washboard pounded all the grease out of the ball joints! I'll explain more of the event in my post. For those that don't know I took my 1993 Suburban on this trip.
Lance we really do need pictures, your Suburban is coming along to nicely for us to be satisfied with just descriptive postings. Remember "A picture is worth a thousand words."
Ah, the Mojave Rd is great isn’t it?! I ran it earlier this year but Lance and Nick couldn't make it due to the time of year with kids still in school. We ran from Ft. Mojave to Xxyxx. What fun time. My trip report starts at post 60 HERE. I’ll keep an eye out in the 88 section for yours.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #72
1leglance

More pics to come but this will get you guys started...

Here is the burb before we started at Nicks....

Parked next to Nicks rig to give a sense of the custom spring lift vs a 4in (really 6in) lift

Turbo 400 and NP205 out of the way...

700r4 installed with a nice deep trans pan and temp sensor....
Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #73
1leglance

And the man himself here hiding from the camera as he works on the 208 going in...

After alot of really hard work Nick got the 208 clocked just enough to give me more ground clearance and yet not bang the floor or cause other issues.

At the same time Nick was playing master mechanic on my rig he was also playing master instructor to my son Nathan and his desire to learn welding. By the time we were done on my project Nathan had become an excellent metalsmith. I am really looking forward to making much more us of my personal fab shop.

I will dig up some more pics and get them posted....and this weekend all this hard work pays off when Nick's family & mine get our rigs into the dirt.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #74
justcuz

Nice, I like the lift, it is perfect with your tire size. What happened to your old axles? Great work, the Suburban looks terrific.
The Mojave Road post is up in the 88-98 section, not as good as Nicks stuff, but this is my first real trip post.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #75
1leglance

the axles went to Tom (t kornick???) here on the forum...he has been a super resource for me and so many other folks.

I will jump over and read your trip report...which I gotta say I like better than build threads. Lots of people never seem to finish a project much less actually use these trucks so I really like to read anything that shows folks out and about.