The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
bill3rail

Brake Dust Shield Question

I know some people say they do not use them and claim they cause overheating of the brakes. Some people claim they were designed to be there for a reason so keep them on. Either school of thought is fine with me however I may be forced to run without them until I can get a pair.

I see LMC and Brothers sell them, but does anyone know a part number for them to find them through a local auto parts store?

I read on one site that they were the same up until 1987 and I am not sure this is true.

What I have is the Brothers 6 lug Drum to Disc conversion (Comes with all new tie rods and tie rod ends plus ball joints) along with the power booster/master cylinder kit to install.

Hoping I can find them locally.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. any tips and tricks on this install would be great.

Pictures to follow...

ETA: Found Key Parts #0849-800 67-72 Disc Brake Dust Cover Shield. Nobody seems to have them locally.

Last edited by bill3rail; 05-30-2020 at 04:31 PM.
bill3rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Brake Dust Shield Question

This is all the info. I have. Pretty straight forward.

Brake dust shields: The dust shield positions with the domed hub facing out and the round portion of the parameter facing down and forward. The dust shield mounts to the spindle using three (GR 5) 1/2" hex bolts and lock washers. The bolt threads are 5/16-18 x 7/8. NOTES: The bolts are stamped "RSC". The original dust shields have to be bent outward with 2.1/2” drop spindles, because the shield rests on the lower control arm.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Brake Dust Shield Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
I know some people say they do not use them and claim they cause overheating of the brakes. Some people claim they were designed to be there for a reason so keep them on. Either school of thought is fine with me however I may be forced to run without them until I can get a pair.

I see LMC and Brothers sell them, but does anyone know a part number for them to find them through a local auto parts store?

I read on one site that they were the same up until 1987 and I am not sure this is true.

What I have is the Brothers 6 lug Drum to Disc conversion (Comes with all new tie rods and tie rod ends plus ball joints) along with the power booster/master cylinder kit to install.

Hoping I can find them locally.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. any tips and tricks on this install would be great.

Pictures to follow...

ETA: Found Key Parts #0849-800 67-72 Disc Brake Dust Cover Shield. Nobody seems to have them locally.
I'd have to say that if the dust shields caused overheating of the brakes, GM wouldn't have used them. The dust shields wouldn't be on there if not necessary. They cost a lot of money to make and install, given the millions of units so equipped.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote