The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
kglowacky

rebuilt steering box

I am having steering problems in the form of to much slop in the steering wheel. After about 50 it is hard to keep on the road. I started another thread awhile back and decided to move it to this forum. Quick history. Had steering box rebuilt before assembly of truck. All new ball joints etc. First drive in truck after total rebuild and the steering slop was real bad. Took box out (no fun) and took it back to the rebuilder. Next day he calls and says cracked top and worn worm gear. He replaces for free. (wasn't free the first time (LOL). Not sure what he did the first time. Now with new box on and I put 100 miles on it the slop remains , not as bad but not good. Took it to a c10 truck parts shop and they say my box is bad. Here is my question,Did some utube watching and there seems to be 2 ways to try to adjust the box to get rid of the slop. On ther top of the box there is a adjustment screw but everyone says not a good way to adjust. The second way is to adjust from the front of the box where the steering column attaches. Utube shows this adjustment with the box out of the truck. Has anyone done this adjustment in the truck Not sure I am going back to that rebuilder anyhow so if I tear it up then who cares as I am going to have to find a replacement or another rebuilder. Everyone's thoughts. Thanks

Last edited by kglowacky; 12-18-2020 at 10:25 AM.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: rebuilt steering box

Send it to Red Head and be done with it - https://redheadsteeringgears.com/
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
68 P.O.S.

^^^This!
Old 12-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
MySons68C20

X3!!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
Thealien

X4
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
kglowacky

UPDATE. Not sure it is the steering box anymore. Here's what I found. Based on info I got from this forum I replaced my steering shaft with a Jeep Steering shaft (during the build) to get rid of the rag joint. After looking again at the setup I noticed the steering shaft connection to the steering box splined shaft was moving and the box shaft would not move for a couple very very shorts turns (like it was slipping and splines were not lining up ), this told me the connection between the two were not correct. I re installed my rag joint oem shaft and most of the play is gone. i believe the rest is in the rag joint. Next I looked at the box spine it looked good. Then at the jeep u joint female connection and the female splines look worn out. Is it possible this jeep shaft spine connection could be worn out? Anyone ever seen this happen? I am going to place the u joint in a vice and squeeze it together a little to see if maybe just maybe some one spread this out when taking it apart to sell it to me. The bolt in no way can tighten this together as it is thick stock. Will update when i get it right. Any chance I bought the wrong year jeep shaft?
Old 12-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
The Rocknrod

I've never heard of using a jeep rag joint. None the less, do you know what the size/spline count is on your box? 3/4"-30 or 13/16"-36 or ...
You would purchase the rag joint to fit it and of course the steering shaft. For an example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264941255751?ul_noapp=true
Old 12-24-2020, 12:24 AM   #8
kglowacky

The jeep shaft uses two universals instead of a rag joint which is suppose to be alot more responsive .
Old 12-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
SCOTI

I would guess the shafts are possibly different sized then. Get some calipers out & double check.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

You know I took my own advice the other day and bought one of their steering boxes. I will post it on my build page when I get home to Texas the first week in January. That's where I sent it since I'm in Iowa right now. I'll send them back the one I have for the core.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
You know I took my own advice the other day and bought one of their steering boxes. I will post it on my build page when I get home to Texas the first week in January. That's where I sent it since I'm in Iowa right now. I'll send them back the one I have for the core.
Mine is very nice. Detailed as far as appearance. Worked fine since install other than a failed O-ring leak that I didn't swap during install.
They even followed up regarding the status of the core return for my refund.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:01 PM   #12
dmjlambert

I suggest use the rag joint. I have the original rag joint in my truck and it does not add any slop. If yours is in bad condition, you can get a fresh one at O'Reilly or you can also by rebuild kits for the rag joint and rebuild it to make it like new. There is a post here on the forum where TX Firefighter shows the process.

I am concerned about at "50 it is hard to keep on the road." That does not sound like the amount of slop that could be in a rag joint. I go 75 on the tollway and it is rock steady with the steering. Can you post pictures of how your steering center link is installed? I thought I would mention since your truck as been apart. Here's a thread with pictures of center link backwards and follow up pictures of it installed correctly. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=734762

The thrust bearing preload adjustment is the one you adjust at the input shaft. Here is what the manual says about it and my thoughts here in this thread, and also there is a link in the thread to TX Firefighter's method, which is tightening it and then backing off 1/2 inch of thread travel. TX Firefighter is the method I used. I think it would be possible while steering box is installed. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=812162
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #13
The Rocknrod

I have that manual, very good instructions on the steering box rebuild.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #14
kglowacky

Since I installed the rag joint it has made a huge difference. I believe the jeep shaft is either the wrong size or the teeth are worn out. At this point I am happy with the improved handling. It is installed correctly. Thanks