The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #526
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunTon View Post
That'll look nice. Are you planning any sort of center console?
Only a small one. I am running a Muncie 4-Speed with a stock Hurtz shifter and a new floor shifter boot. I also just bought a Lokar floor mounted E-Brake. So i will be building a smaller one like for an arm rest.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:08 AM   #527
roll_the_dice

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Looking good! Roll Tide!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #528
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looking good! Roll Tide!

Thanks,

Oh ya ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:16 PM   #529
88Stanger

updates to the speaker kick panels....
Passenger side starting...
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #530
88Stanger

more of the passenger side being developed
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #531
88Stanger

This is the passenger side all cleaned up, after i added the body filler....
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #532
88Stanger

Got more cleanup on the Passenger side kick panel and the driver side is drying after fiberglass resin was added. After they are both all cleaned up, i will spray paint them with hammered Semi-Gloss black Rust-o-leum paint. I do not want them all shinny or just flat black...
Old 01-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #533
88Stanger

Question for you all: Suggestions on how to attach them to the cab?
Old 01-17-2021, 09:33 PM   #534
SkinnyG

Those snap button things, like you see on home stereo speaker grill cover thingies.

.... or, basically every interior panel in a modern car, I guess, now that I think about it.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #535
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Those snap button things, like you see on home stereo speaker grill cover thingies.

.... or, basically every interior panel in a modern car, I guess, now that I think about it.
Good idea. i will look into it.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #536
88Stanger

Update: So i have been cleaning and sanding on the kick panels. They look great. I put on what seems to be a lb of bondo, sanded off 5/8 lb of bondo... lol found the "typical" little pin holes around so now i am using "glaze" filler. That stuff works great... but i am learning to not apply it very thick as it is not needed. LOL anyways, They are about ready to get painted. I looking into the hammered paint.... ya not using that. It just does not look right, so i am going just a Satin black.... Pics to come. Then back to working on the cab.
For the cab i need to get the couple of dash dents fixed, couple screw holes filled and then get the seam sealer installed, then prepare outside of cab, getting all the dents fixed and ready for primer.... FINAALY! lol
Old 01-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #537
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Update: So i have been cleaning and sanding on the kick panels. They look great. I put on what seems to be a lb of bondo, sanded off 5/8 lb of bondo... lol found the "typical" little pin holes around so now i am using "glaze" filler. That stuff works great... but i am learning to not apply it very thick as it is not needed. LOL anyways, They are about ready to get painted. I looking into the hammered paint.... ya not using that. It just does not look right, so i am going just a Satin black.... Pics to come. Then back to working on the cab.
For the cab i need to get the couple of dash dents fixed, couple screw holes filled and then get the seam sealer installed, then prepare outside of cab, getting all the dents fixed and ready for primer.... FINAALY! lol
You could try SEM Texture coating. When you spray it on it has the 'grainy' appearance like a plastic door panel does. It's not identical but close. Then, top coat w/the color of choice to match other interior items/scheme. I've also used the 'texture' paint in a rattle can to simulate 'factory' texture for trim pieces. This is a more aggressive coating. Top coat it w/the color of choice to match the interior.

I included some images of a repair I did to one of the rear door panels from my dually. This was a SuperGlue repair sanded flush, topped w/the SEM Texture coating, & then SEM interior paint/dye. I don't have any good close-ups of the trim I did w/the actual 'texture' paint but it's much more aggressive.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:27 AM   #538
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You could try SEM Texture coating. When you spray it on it has the 'grainy' appearance like a plastic door panel does. It's not identical but close. Then, top coat w/the color of choice to match other interior items/scheme. I've also used the 'texture' paint in a rattle can to simulate 'factory' texture for trim pieces. This is a more aggressive coating. Top coat it w/the color of choice to match the interior.

I included some images of a repair I did to one of the rear door panels from my dually. This was a SuperGlue repair sanded flush, topped w/the SEM Texture coating, & then SEM interior paint/dye. I don't have any good close-ups of the trim I did w/the actual 'texture' paint but it's much more aggressive.
Damn, that is cool looking and impressive how well it worked. I will look into this. Thanks
Old 01-31-2021, 11:43 AM   #539
88Stanger

update on the speaker pods. So as much as i hate to say it, i am not a body guy by any stretch of the idea.... so with that said, i decided that i did not want a "Kick Panel" to be super clean and scratch free when i painted just to get "Kicked" LOL so i just went with the same speaker cover i used on the sub-Box.

Now my only issue what to do with the space next to each side of the sub box? suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2021, 11:52 AM   #540
roll_the_dice

Kick panels look great! I love that you fabricate tons of stuff!

Not sure what to put on the sides of your sub box...what about a fire extinguisher on one side...and ? on the other? I am going to incorporate a fire extinguisher somewhere in my cab...just not sure where yet.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #541
88Stanger

Quote:
Kick panels look great! I love that you fabricate tons of stuff!

Not sure what to put on the sides of your sub box...what about a fire extinguisher on one side...and ? on the other? I am going to incorporate a fire extinguisher somewhere in my cab...just not sure where yet.
Thanks.

Fire Extinguisher is a great idea.... maybe a First Aid kit on the other or ???? Now that you mention that, someone makes corner metal plates if i am not mistaken, i could use them and the set the extinguisher on one and ??? on the other.... First aid kit?
Old 01-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #542
roll_the_dice

I bought these for my speakers...you may be able to get him or you make them without the speaker holes and mount the fire extinguisher on it or make it yourself and recess a place for the extinguisher. I also like the idea of a first aid kit or maybe a small tool kit in case you needed some basic tools on the side of the road.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #543
88Stanger

Quote:
I bought these for my speakers...you may be able to get him or you make them without the speaker holes and mount the fire extinguisher on it or make it yourself and recess a place for the extinguisher. I also like the idea of a first aid kit or maybe a small tool kit in case you needed some basic tools on the side of the road.
Oh damn, dah... small tool bag.... damn i feel dumb for thinking about that.. lol So maybe a fire extinguisher & first aid bag on one side, then a nice tool bag on the other. I have a bunch of the smaller tool bags i could work with. Thank you Sir for the idea!

Fun little note: on Sunday i pick up my new little partner... a seven week old Boston Terrier, name is Zoey. Some of you may remember in the middle of last year i got a little Boston Terrier, named her Zoey and after 4 weeks she got sick, took her into the vet and was told she would not make it, that she had a birth defect and over half her little intestines were dead. Just about did me in honestly. I was amazed at how such a little pup could grab ahold of this big guys heart strings... anyways... Love this breed... so went to the same family for a new puppy, ironically it is from the same parents, has almost the same markings.... and so to honor my first Zoey, i wanted to name this puppy Zoey also. So i may be a bit slower on working on the truck, but i will take a few hours here and there to work on it. Pics will come of little Zoey though... my new shop and cruising partner...
Old 02-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #544
88Stanger

So today is brush on seam sealer the cab, then self leveling seam sealer along with working on the cab body, filler and such getting ready for some primer.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #545
88Stanger

Little update to the build... well its an update at least.. lol
Here is my newest family member... Zoey 2.0 She is 8 weeks old today, Boston Terrier, my new cruising partner...
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2021, 01:33 AM   #546
caseyjones

She’s a beauty!
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #547
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
She’s a beauty!
Thanks, sweet little one she is
Old 02-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #548
88Stanger

Ok back to truck stuff....
Well sort of ...
I bought some LED shop lights for the shop and ended up with a couple extra and so i built me a light rack of sorts... easy, cheap... bright!
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #549
88Stanger

Ok now onto body work....

So i had a dent in the roof that was causing "oil canning" but in reverse sort of.... the oil canning would stay down, not up. So i used some heat form a yellow can of propane gas and water rag to heat and cool the metal to get rid of the oil canning, which worked rather well. then i used a Harbor Freight stud welder for pulling dents and got most of the dent out, not all but good enough for me and then some thin bondo... i will sand that down add more if needed and then final with glase.

In the damn middle and rear of the roof are two holes, not sure what for, but they are there... so I will try to correct as much of the dent as possible then weld up the holes. So made why people do this crap..

I am not a body man by any stretch, but I try to get it good enough... if that makes sense. .. Mote pics to come....

By the way, any and i mean ANY suggestions on body work i am all up for!! LOL
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2021, 11:25 PM   #550
cwcarpenter98

Hmm, I'm thinking CB antenna or a light of some sort for those two holes

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote