The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
PHILLYDEAN

Corvette suspension swap

I have a 92 Corvette that I'm taking the engine and transmission out of and also want to put the suspension on my pickup as well. Has anyone have any advise on the best way to do it or any trick I should know about.
PHILLYDEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Corvette suspension swap

Just a heads up. If you are going to carry anything with any amount of weight in the truck, the Corvette rear end is not a good idea. I say so, due to my trucking buddy has a 53 Chevy truck that he did just that very thing. He carries a handicap scooter around (not a large one, but it is motor driven and he can lift it in and out of his truck). The weight of that thing caused the rear end to squat and the tires rode on the inside edge and their life was very short. He did a Hot Rod Power Tour with it that way and in 4000 miles he ate up two sets of tires on the rear of the truck. That rear end has since gone to another project and he now has a regular axle rear end under the truck. There are no special springs that can be purchased to make it better, either.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYDEAN View Post
I have a 92 Corvette that I'm taking the engine and transmission out of and also want to put the suspension on my pickup as well. Has anyone have any advise on the best way to do it or any trick I should know about.
Try Flat Out Engineering in Orange CA. They have lots of pics and 'how to' stuff on their website.
Taibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Just a heads up. If you are going to carry anything with any amount of weight in the truck, the Corvette rear end is not a good idea. I say so, due to my trucking buddy has a 53 Chevy truck that he did just that very thing. He carries a handicap scooter around (not a large one, but it is motor driven and he can lift it in and out of his truck). The weight of that thing caused the rear end to squat and the tires rode on the inside edge and their life was very short. He did a Hot Rod Power Tour with it that way and in 4000 miles he ate up two sets of tires on the rear of the truck. That rear end has since gone to another project and he now has a regular axle rear end under the truck. There are no special springs that can be purchased to make it better, either.
There are many different brands of coil overs that can be used with varying degrees of stiffness and while I can't point to a specific product right now I just find it extremely hard to believe nothing can be done.
Nothing is impossible however improbable it may seem.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
There are many different brands of coil overs that can be used with varying degrees of stiffness and while I can't point to a specific product right now I just find it extremely hard to believe nothing can be done.
That was the same approach, my buddy took. In the end, he got tired of the suspension not standing up to his use.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Right you are! There are more than a few 67-72 C10's out there with C4 and C5 corvette suspensions and the ones I have seen DO HANDLE LIKE A CORVETTE! Here are two from the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Autocross that out ran several Porche 911'a and a couple of Corvettes! Their only drawback is you won't be hauling bricks in the bed. 2012 Results were:\
Note that #12 &#15 were C10's
1. Mark Stielow (1967 Chevrolet Camaro)

2. Brian Hobaugh (1973 Chevrolet Camaro)

3. Todd Earsley* (2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 GSR)

3. Bret Voelkel* (1933 Ford Coupe)

5. Travis Hill (2013 Nissan GT-R)

6. Steven Rupp (1968 Chevrolet Camaro)

7. Danny Popp (2010 Chevrolet Camaro L28)

7. Kyle Tucker (1970 Chevrolet Camaro)

7. Karl Dunn (2007 Ford Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang)

10. Brian Finch (1972 Chevrolet Camaro)

10. Jim Holloway (2013 Ford Mustang RTR)

12. Phil Gerber (1970 Chevrolet C10 Pickup)

12. Ryan Mathews (1966 Ford Mustang)

14. Bob Bertelsen (1971 Chevrolet Camaro)

15. Rob McGregor (1970 Chevy C10 Pickup)

16. Chris Smith (1967 Chevrolet C10)

17. Joey Seely (1986 Porsche Carrera)

18. Dale Akuszewski (1964 Sunbeam Tiger)

18. Jeff Cleary (1967 Chevrolet Corvette)

20. David Brandt (1969 Chevrolet Camaro)

20. Todd Foust (1965 Ford Mustang Convertible)

22. Todd Rumpke (2010 Chevrolet Camaro)

23. Curt Hill (1972 Chevrolet C5 Blazer)

24. Brad Coomer (1970 Chevrolet C10)

25. Stacy Tucker (1969 Chevrolet Camaro)

I would say that there is more than enough evidence of success with Corvette runnung gear under one of these trucks to make the project worth the time and $$$$$
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
tsetsaf

Mcgregors truck is a full tubed race car with a truck body on it. Apples/ oranges.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
69chevytrucker

Smile Re: Corvette suspension swap

all in the 92 corvette is 3200 pounds if you are using the engine trans and suspension i say weigh it and make your truck body as light as you need it by the sounds of it your not making a work truck so i dont think you need to worry about putting weight in the back.
some trucks are for show and some are for go good like i hope you post pics of it being done. im a guy that loves when someone does something people say you cant do.
10 years ago i was told you cant put a old school sbc in a fourth gen camaro well guess what i did and now they make kits. cutting tools and welders you can do anything
eg i went from a 2wd long to a 4wd super short box
Name:  4x426 121.jpg
Views: 10146
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20150802_210513.jpg
Views: 10135
Size:  29.2 KB
some may like some my not but all that matters is if you like
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
hotrodder

I agree . The trucks in the list are race cars more than street trucks. Most are sponsored by Ride-Tech or other suspension companies. A friend of mine has a 55 truck body on a asphalt modified chassis that he runs in the Good-Guys autocross series.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #10
tsetsaf

I say go for it too. Would love to have independent suspension. You could always replace the springs with air springs if needed: http://www.myhotcorvette.com/Suspens...spension-Kits/
Old 08-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #11
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
I agree . The trucks in the list are race cars more than street trucks. Most are sponsored by Ride-Tech or other suspension companies. A friend of mine has a 55 truck body on a asphalt modified chassis that he runs in the Good-Guys autocross series.
This is a street C10 chassis, not a race car tube chassis. The bracketry and cross member required to install the corvette rear on a stock C10 truck are available from several sources. All in, with a half tank of gas and my backside in the seat with and big block, my 67 stepper weighs 3450 pounds . The C4 was 3239# and the C5 3350#. Not too heavy, No tube frame, No race car, No problem!
Attached Images

Last edited by Taibo; 08-06-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #12
PHILLYDEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taibo View Post
This is a street C10 chassis, not a race car tube chassis. The bracketry and cross member required to install the corvette rear on a stock C10 truck are available from several sources. All in, with a half tank of gas and my backside in the seat with and big block, my 67 stepper weighs 3450 pounds . The C4 was 3239# and the C5 3350#. Not too heavy, No tube frame, No race car, No problem!
Is that a complete bolt on kit you have. I have only seen the weld on kits.
PHILLYDEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:28 PM   #13
RichardJ

The axle pictured two posts up is a Dana36, used except for the '84, in automatic transmission Corvettes.
If I wanted to go to all the trouble to install a Vette rear, I think the only choice would be to use a Dana44 found in manual transmission Corvettes only.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYDEAN View Post
Is that a complete bolt on kit you have. I have only seen the weld on kits.
That's a bolt on Flat Out Engineering kit. Unlike those that believe otherwise, you can use either the Dana 33 or Dana 44 rear end with it. Just be sure that the halfshafts that come with the diff you select are the ones you use. So much for "it can't be done".
Old 08-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #15
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I had a d36 at the house for a few weeks, looked like an easy swap. I ended up selling the rear instead. You always want to have a vehicle aligned at ride height, especially if you're always going to be hauling something as heavy as a mobility scooter. I talked to piecesn n parts buddy at the all truck nationls he mentioned his tire wear issue and wanted a mint for his rear end. Its been done many times and would make a nice suspension for a cruiser, idk if id want it in something that gets beat on.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Looks nice. How low does it sit?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
Ruscal

Maybe fab some air bag mounts as helpers for towing if space is available. I am currently mounting Air Lift 1000 bags inside my 12 bolt coil springs just for towing needs. You inflate to 5 PSI when not towing to keep the bags from chaffing. That should not affect normal ride too much when un hitched.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #18
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruscal View Post
Maybe fab some air bag mounts as helpers for towing if space is available. I am currently mounting Air Lift 1000 bags inside my 12 bolt coil springs just for towing needs. You inflate to 5 PSI when not towing to keep the bags from chaffing. That should not affect normal ride too much when un hitched.
Russ
Why would anyone go to the trouble to build a truck with a suspension meant for autocross then use it to "tow stuff"?

That would be like putting a receiver hitch on a Corvette.

If you're going to 'haul stuff' or 'tow stuff' don't use a corvette suspension. Just bag it.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #19
Ruscal

Quote:
Why would anyone go to the trouble to build a truck with a suspension meant for autocross then use it to "tow stuff"?

That would be like putting a receiver hitch on a Corvette.

If you're going to 'haul stuff' or 'tow stuff' don't use a corvette suspension. Just bag it.
Actually with my truck the towing requirement came first, then the performance handling was added to give the ride more utility.
A Swiss Army truck..... She slices, she dices....
I won't be towing all the time.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Some people race and tow at the same time.... all truck nationals blindfolded autox, I've gotten first a few times with the boat in tow.
Attached Images

66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #21
Frnxc10

I just sent flat out engineering an email to see if they are going to make a bolt in kit for the 67-72 trucks.

Do you think there is enough interest for a discounted group purchase if the rear kits become available?
Frnxc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #22
XwalkerX

XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:47 AM   #23
SierraMtns

Is No Limit working on a kit? 5th post down.

https://www.facebook.com/nolimithotrods
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #24
Aquiles

I know this post if a few years old so I hope you still look at it, I would like to install the corvette rear end and suspension on my 1969 c10 1/2 ton but I have yet to find the kit that you have pictured in this post, can you point me in the right direction? thanks in advanced.
Aquiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiles View Post
I know this post if a few years old so I hope you still look at it, I would like to install the corvette rear end and suspension on my 1969 c10 1/2 ton but I have yet to find the kit that you have pictured in this post, can you point me in the right direction? thanks in advanced.
Start here. Call them because I don't know if the website has all updated kits listed....
https://flatout-engineering.com/
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote