The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #401
SCOTI

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Ok, gentlemen, i need some suggestions on what length of steering wheel column to get?! What is stock or near that? I am a bigger guy, so i want the steering wheel moved closer to dash.... for "Clearance" besides being a tilt.
Suggestions? 28", 30", 32"?
I would assume 28 and then just extend the Double D as long as needed.
This would definitely work if it's a simple straight shot to the steering box. Since you have R&P steering, verify that things will clear if you take that approach. You should be able to put a U-joint @ the rack & use a piece of tubing/wooden rod as your shaft. You need to keep working angles @ 30° or less.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #402
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
This would definitely work if it's a simple straight shot to the steering box. Since you have R&P steering, verify that things will clear if you take that approach. You should be able to put a U-joint @ the rack & use a piece of tubing/wooden rod as your shaft. You need to keep working angles @ 30° or less.
Perfect. Thank you sir. They sent 2 u-joints and dbl d shaft with it. I went with Stock Column or 3/4 DD on the R&P. Nice thing is that they sell 3/4" to 1" u-joints if needed. The more i was looking into it, typical is 30" with the rack... but i will see about measuring just to make sure.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #403
88Stanger

TMI Classic Low back Buckets are here!! Damn, they are nice! Comfy and not tall! Here are some pics with measurements.
Note: I am not a small guy by any means (currently over 300lbs.. currently..) and this seat is perfect for me! I am working on getting smaller but i will always be just a bigger guy, so the seat width and depth i was nervous about, but it is great.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #404
88Stanger

more pics with measurements:
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #405
88Stanger

more ...
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #406
88Stanger

last....

And i was not aware that they came with adjustable sliders. i am sure it is in the description, but i just did not read that. This was a very pleasant surprise. Now the mounts for our trucks are back ordered to jan sometime, but i may just look at making my own. not sure yet. Overall, the seats are great, not cheap but under $1000.00 for the pair and i think that is good for TMI seats.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #407
WunTon

Damn those look nice!! If my truck didn't come with a freshly rebuilt/wrapped seat I would seriously be looking into those!
WunTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #408
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunTon View Post
Damn those look nice!! If my truck didn't come with a freshly rebuilt/wrapped seat I would seriously be looking into those!
I like them but would not run them solely for this reason.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-08-2020, 05:45 PM   #409
88Stanger

Quote:
I like them but would not run them solely for this reason.....
Cost reason or ?????
Old 12-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #410
SCOTI

Quote:
Cost reason or ?????
Personal preference. The LOGO is a NOGO for me. I'm not paying to be your advertising billboard.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #411
roll_the_dice

Love watching your build....Great job!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #412
67C10GS

I agree with SCOTI to a point, the giant logo is really annoying and there should be an option to not have it but those seats are super comfy so it’s a pick your battles kinda deal. Great build so far, can’t wait to see it finished.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #413
88Stanger

Quote:
Personal preference. The LOGO is a NOGO for me. I'm not paying to be your advertising billboard.
I am with you Scoti on this. Mu issue is i have spend way to much (more than i did on these) on my last build to get a good set of seats that fit me (again, not a small guy), seats were comfy and then seats that would fit in the trucks small area. This is damn hard! I tried old seats, i tried new used, i tried cheaper new seats.... all ended in nothing. I even have tried Corbeau which up to this point i loved, but they too even in "wide" were not real comfy and then the choices you get to choose from suckith, so..... Oh yea, i checked on having some built.... lol. ya that is not going to happen on my budget. BUT i was told, if i had a set of seats that all they needed to do was change out a part of the material for a different color or pattern, not to bad. So... that may happen here with these... not sure yet, but overall i agree with you in principal, but sometimes you just get limited or reduced to giving in, which honestly is where i am.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #414
youngrodder

Quote:
Not to pile one, but it is the size of the logo that bugs me. Their logo should not be the first thing that catches your eye when looking at a trucks interior. It works as I have seen a lot of these seats in trucks at shows and notice their oversized logo immediately..

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #415
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Not to pile one, but it is the size of the logo that bugs me. Their logo should not be the first thing that catches your eye when looking at a trucks interior. It works as I have seen a lot of these seats in trucks at shows and notice their oversized logo immediately..

Marc
I know what you mean. In some eyes it is great advertising and good for them and as you and Scoti have said, our choice to have it or not. In my case i am exhausted looking for what i wanted and needed, so i just went with them. Not exactly proud of it, but i understand where i am.... lol I just need to loose a butt load of weight.... lol
Old 12-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #416
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Love watching your build....Great job!
Thank you sir. I went through your entire build again, great job! i did post that if you are not going to use the side sails that i am interested in buying them from you if you want to sell. Just a side note.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #417
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10GS View Post
I agree with SCOTI to a point, the giant logo is really annoying and there should be an option to not have it but those seats are super comfy so it’s a pick your battles kinda deal. Great build so far, can’t wait to see it finished.
Thank you. It is a long process but i like the "busyness" of it. i have to be tinkering on something..... so this is it for now.... lol but this "tinkering" can get expensive... lol
Old 12-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #418
88Stanger

Just a side note, the seat mounts just showed up, so i can do some test fitting now. Not sure how they will work. They seem a bit tall, but i will mount them and see. I can always alter the heights.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #419
88Stanger

I want to say something here that is in no way directed at anyone who has previously responded to my build. In fact, to all of you, THANK YOU!! I appreciate all your comments and thoughts. The best part of all the comments is that they are all constructive and not mean or in evil spirit and I really appreciate all that! I honestly do, i even appreciate comments that maybe i do not agree with or like as long as they are done in a constructive manner. i have always said i learn so much more from my mistakes and failures. So I can appreciate others opinions and thoughts even if i differ in what i like to do. Just so there is no misunderstanding, this is not in response to the TMI seats thing, but rather to what i am about to talk about.

So i need seats installed in the cab so that i can figure out if i can do my next idea, which is to install a partial Rollcage in the cab that will exit the rear of the cab and mount in the bed. Now the idea here is to actually mount it to the frame, under the cab and under the bed, BUT make it removable. They make these couplers that are meant for Rollcages that i will use. I want to put a loop behind the seats with a crossbar to mount the seatbelt harness should straps to, then exit the cab and go to the bed and to the frame. This is my idea, not sure it will work, but it is my idea.

So this is why i made the earlier statement. Some will not like the idea at all, not even in the slightest. Kinda like cutting a longbed into a shortbed, same people. I understand that my ideas are not everyones bag of tea, but to me, they are my ideas. I fully respect anyones ideology and thoughts and even invite constructive comments done in constructive way, i always appreciate them. BUT if you have nothing nice or constructive to say about this or anyones ideas, regardless of what it is, just keep it to yourself. I have had many responses to my build, and to date i appreciate everyone one of them, not matter what. But i know that i mentioned this idea when i was doing my 1969 C10 along with cutting it from a longbed to shortbed and i got bashed, bad. To be honest, not all were negative though, some where just saying what they thought and did so in a constructive way, and i really appreciated that, but damn, some where just wrong. So please just be constructive, and not just to me, but to all.

Sorry for the long post here, i just know that this idea of the rollcage can bring out the not so nice posters... and i just want to say my peace. Please forgive me if i upset anyone, that is not my intention, only to try to help some look at how they respond to others.

God Bless
Old 12-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #420
roll_the_dice

Quote:
... I just need to lose a butt load of weight.... lol
You and me both brother! In fact when I installed my OEM steering wheel with OEM bench seat, my stomach was touching the wheel (about 6 months ago)...I was annoyed...so in the last 6 months, I have lost 30+ pounds now my "gut" is 2" or more away from the wheel. I have gone from 255 to 221 (this morning). So I lost weight for my truck more than me or my family. LOL Oh the things we do for our trucks!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #421
roll_the_dice

I saw someone build a roll cage for their truck recently...I will see if I can find it. I know they were going to race the truck, so not sure if it was removable like you want or stationary.

On a side note,I agree with your above post. It is your truck; enjoy it and build it to make you happy. I have said when I take my truck to shows, I know some people won't like it..and I am fine with that...I am thinking of having a suggestion bucket...that cost the person a minimum of $5 for the suggestion! I have built mine not as a show truck, but a truck to enjoy, drive, and use as a truck. My wife and I love our truck and that is the only ones that matter or gets a vote.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #422
WunTon

What an awful idea why would you ever put a roll cage in your truck it's going to look terrible! You're going to ruin your truck how could you do that!

Haha just playing! Coming from the off road world and putting more than one vehicle on it's roof I appreciate the desire for a cage and I think when done properly they add a nice touch to the overall look especially when in your case you will have power and no doubt a nice mean sounding exhaust to bring a bit of muscle truck character to your truck. I say screw the snowflakes that don't have anything nice to say and build your truck the way you want it just don't forget to post lots of pics and remember triangulation is the key to a good strong cage!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #423
SCOTI

Quote:
I want to say something here that is in no way directed at anyone who has previously responded to my build. In fact, to all of you, THANK YOU!! I appreciate all your comments and thoughts. The best part of all the comments is that they are all constructive and not mean or in evil spirit and I really appreciate all that! I honestly do, i even appreciate comments that maybe i do not agree with or like as long as they are done in a constructive manner. i have always said i learn so much more from my mistakes and failures. So I can appreciate others opinions and thoughts even if i differ in what i like to do. Just so there is no misunderstanding, this is not in response to the TMI seats thing, but rather to what i am about to talk about.

So i need seats installed in the cab so that i can figure out if i can do my next idea, which is to install a partial Rollcage in the cab that will exit the rear of the cab and mount in the bed. Now the idea here is to actually mount it to the frame, under the cab and under the bed, BUT make it removable. They make these couplers that are meant for Rollcages that i will use. I want to put a loop behind the seats with a crossbar to mount the seatbelt harness should straps to, then exit the cab and go to the bed and to the frame. This is my idea, not sure it will work, but it is my idea.

So this is why i made the earlier statement. Some will not like the idea at all, not even in the slightest. Kinda like cutting a longbed into a shortbed, same people. I understand that my ideas are not everyones bag of tea, but to me, they are my ideas. I fully respect anyones ideology and thoughts and even invite constructive comments done in constructive way, i always appreciate them. BUT if you have nothing nice or constructive to say about this or anyones ideas, regardless of what it is, just keep it to yourself. I have had many responses to my build, and to date i appreciate everyone one of them, not matter what. But i know that i mentioned this idea when i was doing my 1969 C10 along with cutting it from a longbed to shortbed and i got bashed, bad. To be honest, not all were negative though, some where just saying what they thought and did so in a constructive way, and i really appreciated that, but damn, some where just wrong. So please just be constructive, and not just to me, but to all.

Sorry for the long post here, i just know that this idea of the rollcage can bring out the not so nice posters... and i just want to say my peace. Please forgive me if i upset anyone, that is not my intention, only to try to help some look at how they respond to others.

God Bless
Is said partial roll-cage (roll bar technically) planned to be taller than the seat but under the rear window or full height/above rear window?

When you describe the 'down' bars from cab to bed, is your plan to keep them below the top of the front bed panel (out of sight) or in plain sight above the bed sides?

You mentioned using tubing couplers for the pass-through construction. What is your chassis anchoring plan for the tubes?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #424
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunTon View Post
What an awful idea why would you ever put a roll cage in your truck it's going to look terrible! You're going to ruin your truck how could you do that!

Haha just playing! Coming from the off road world and putting more than one vehicle on it's roof I appreciate the desire for a cage and I think when done properly they add a nice touch to the overall look especially when in your case you will have power and no doubt a nice mean sounding exhaust to bring a bit of muscle truck character to your truck. I say screw the snowflakes that don't have anything nice to say and build your truck the way you want it just don't forget to post lots of pics and remember triangulation is the key to a good strong cage!
Keep in mind that sometimes the "snowflakes" are possibly more knowledgeable on the subject & mean well but are poor @ communicating in a palatable manner.
It doesn't make them wrong on the subject matter.... Just poor communicators.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #425
WunTon

Quote:
Keep in mind that sometimes the "snowflakes" are possibly more knowledgeable on the subject & mean well but are poor @ communicating in a palatable manner.
It doesn't make them wrong on the subject matter.... Just poor communicators.
Totally agree and my statement was more directed at the folks that make comments such as the beginning of my last post that only throw out negative comments based on looks or their own personal opinion of how something should be rather than actual useful info even if that useful info is poorly communicated. I find that even poorly communicated but good info can be extrapolated out to be helpful in the end even if it takes a few tries to get there sometimes lol.