The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #26
jaros44sr

Re: 1972 Build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spf79 View Post
Lol, agreed - I hate wire wheeling, but I didn't have that much to do. So I bit the bullet and got it done. It took longer than I expected, I should of used the old man's blast cabinet... but that is a drive and I'm not going to let him trick me into cleaning his garage work area anymore.

I'm very excited about the build, i have been saving my pennies! How do I move the thread at this point? Sorry if I put it in the wrong area.
We'll contact a Mod., and see if he can move it. No problem, most of the new projects start off in the message area. Sheesh, we don't have a Moderater

great to see you're making progress

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #27
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
We'll contact a Mod., and see if he can move it. No problem, most of the new projects start off in the message area. Sheesh, we don't have a Moderater

great to see you're making progress
Awesome, thank you sir!
The progress is coming in spurts. I don't feel like I am rushed this time aroud, that is very nice... Such a fun hobby,addiction.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:31 AM   #28
Spf79

I have been keeping an eye out for certain items that I will need down the road. Today fed ex dropped off a set of door panels that I am excited to refurbish in the near future. They even came in the color I wanted... well at least the back side is. Any tips on repairing the wood grain inserts? They are nice with out any dents... just worn. Ten years ago I touched up the scratches on another set with various brown & black colors of testers model paint then clear coated them on another truck. They came out decent, but not perfect. Most people said the looked great, they drove me nuts everytime I looked at them. I have heard that the re-pop wood inserts are good. Does anyone have any experience with those inserts? Recommend them?
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2017, 02:41 AM   #29
Spf79

This truck came with a front swaybar that the PO installed. I think this is good. Since this will be street driven most of the time I was thinking of adding a rear swaybar. I have read some opinions on this site for and against, but nothing regarding the rear sway bar with a 4" lift. I am looking at the Addco rear sway bar. Has anyone have a rear swaybar on a lifted Blazer? Feel any difference.? Waste of money?
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #30
Spf79

Picked this little fella up off of ebay, $100 plus shipping.
I'm pretty happy with it. Looks like it received a crack during shipping, but nothing a little epoxy and sanding can't hide. Unfortunately the lower portion of this console will lose most of its texture during the refinishing process.
It even came in the color I wanted, lol.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2017, 11:42 PM   #31
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

The reproduction aluminum woodgrain inserts aren't too far off the mark - these use a pinstripe of paint where the originals have bare exposed metal but otherwise look the part. I'd go that route before I'd try to refurbish an OEM set. Cheyenne Superman sells refurbished inserts on eBay that are also nice.

Good buy on the console.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 AM   #32
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
The reproduction aluminum woodgrain inserts aren't too far off the mark - these use a pinstripe of paint where the originals have bare exposed metal but otherwise look the part. I'd go that route before I'd try to refurbish an OEM set. Cheyenne Superman sells refurbished inserts on eBay that are also nice.

Good buy on the console.
Good information! Exactly what I was wondering about the inserts. Thank you sir! I was amazed at what the consoles were going for on Ebay when they were in poor condition. I have had an eye out for a few months locally and had not come across anything worthwhile. I figured I would jump on this one. I am excited to get to the wiring stage, I want to hide some charging ports inside of the console. I may try to cut the bottom of the ashtray out and then hide a USB port under the ashtray lid.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #33
Spf79

Purchased all of my brake parts last night. I was suprised to find that my local parts shop did not have a hardware kit with the brackets that hold the shoes in place. When i tore the rear end down i found that both axle seals were bad in the rear end so I just dumped all of the drum brake brackets in the scrap pile at work, I didn't want to deal with the mess. Lol, I had to go and fish them out & then clean them up tonight. I got one side painted... waiting for it to dry to coat the other side. This is the first time I have done brakes on a loose backing plate. Might be nice... might be a PITA. Looking forward to next week, my brake lines from inline tube should arrive along with my gas tank. Hopefully my gears and differentials show up as well. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #34
Spf79

I haven't had time to do the brakes, the wife's honey'do list ramped up.
I did receive my hubs though. I went with the superwinch hubs because the remind me of the old Spicer hubs. I have to finish the brakes this week so I am ready to assemble the axles once my gears and differentials show up. Hopefully I will have some progress by the end of the month.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #35
Spf79

Superwinch
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #36
Spf79

My Truetrac differentials and gears showed up today! Hoping I can get my axles together by next weekend... Feels like I am starting to move forward again!

I also received my Brake lines from Inline tube today. You would think that they would have a simple diagram showing where the lines go on the vehicle... This is a 10 line kit, maybe have each one numbered 1-10 & then have a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper showing the frame with each line designated numerically where they go. They obviously know what each piece is since they have to package these kits for shipping. Makes my eye twitch. Some of my old brakes lines were just hammered so I tossed them. Thankfully I took a million pictures. I should have done a better job labeling.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2017, 02:29 AM   #37
Spf79

Quote:
My Truetrac differentials and gears showed up today! Hoping I can get my axles together by next weekend... Feels like I am starting to move forward again!

I also received my Brake lines from Inline tube today. You would think that they would have a simple diagram showing where the lines go on the vehicle... This is a 10 line kit, maybe have each one numbered 1-10 & then have a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper showing the frame with each line designated numerically where they go. They obviously know what each piece is since they have to package these kits for shipping. Makes my eye twitch. Some of my old brakes lines were just hammered so I tossed them. Thankfully I took a million pictures. I should have done a better job labeling.
Update... two pairs of lines are coupled together and marked with a part number. From there I can figure out the rest without much trouble. Still odd that they would not mark them all. The brake lines appear to be very high quality, hopefully I do not have any fitment issues like others that I have read about. Overall I am very happy with what I have. I wonder what the difference between Inline tube and Classic tube is. I paid $200 for the stainless kit after shipping. The same kit from Classic was 60 - 80 dollars more after shipping.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #38
solo72

This is a great thread to follow! Great progress! My Jimmy is the same color! Where in Washington are you located?
Attached Images

solo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:24 AM   #39
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo72 View Post
This is a great thread to follow! Great progress! My Jimmy is the same color! Where in Washington are you located?
Thank you!
I'm located in Vancouver, Wa.
I love your Jimmy, it makes me second guess changing mine over to a Cheverolet!!!
Also my favorite color.

Doing a build thread is nice because it forces me to keep track of the process... otherwise I would take a fraction of the pictures and not have anything to look back on. I wish I would have done something on the Jeep CJ5 I put together a couple of years ago.

What size lift and tires do you have on your Jimmy? It has a great stance, very proportioned. I have had a heck of a time deciding on lift, wheel & tire size. I am limited to a 7' garage door opening.

I will never have a top on it again, so I think I can get away with a 6" lift and 35's. I am going to run a 4" lift with the Offroad Design zero rate add a leafs. 35's and 5" of total lift.

I love the look of polished slotted mags, The US Mag U101 wheels are what I am leaning towards. I think mine would sit pretty close to the ochre Blazer in the first pic. I already own a set of Alcoa 15x12 wheels that look to be the same style as the Orange Blazer... The truck has my favorite stance, 35x14.50 Pitbull Rockers with a 5" lift. The problem is that I don't want to run bias ply tires. Believe it or not, options for 35" tires on 15" rims seem to be becoming less and less as people move to 17" or larger wheels... or so the fella at the tire store tells me... I also don't want to run 12.50 tires on 12" wide wheels, I would probably be fine doing so, but I don't want to risk popping a bead on a hard turn. It would be my luck to do so.

Lol, first world problems.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2017, 02:30 AM   #40
solo72

I looked long and hard for a few years for a orange Jimmy custom. Bought mine in Portland last July. Just don't see Jimmy's very often. I believe the lift on my Jimmy is 6 inches, put on by the previous owner. Has 35x12.50R15LT tires on it. Ok with the lift, maybe a little too high, front tires rub when making sharp turns into a parking spot. But I learn to adjust and live with it for now. USmags are what I was thinking of going as well! They look killer! Keep up the good work!
solo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #41
prorat56

Quote:
Update... two pairs of lines are coupled together and marked with a part number. From there I can figure out the rest without much trouble. Still odd that they would not mark them all. The brake lines appear to be very high quality, hopefully I do not have any fitment issues like others that I have read about. Overall I am very happy with what I have. I wonder what the difference between Inline tube and Classic tube is. I paid $200 for the stainless kit after shipping. The same kit from Classic was 60 - 80 dollars more after shipping.
I used Inline tube and they were spot on. If you need I have a bunch of pictures before and after I could send you if needed.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #42
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorat56 View Post
I used Inline tube and they were spot on. If you need I have a bunch of pictures before and after I could send you if needed.
That is great, thank you for the feedback!
I think I have it figured out, but I won't know for sure until I get the axles under it. That may be a few weeks down the road.
When I get there I may hit you up for some pictures. Thank you!!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #43
Spf79

Ahhh, yes.... that 15 minutes after the kids go to bed... what can a guy get done before you get the eyeball from the wife for being to loud?

I was able to get the crossmember installed, I still need to tighten the bolts. Lol. What is funny is that I may have installed it backwards. I'm not sure if you can though?. I have to look back at pics. It seems to look the same either way. Sadly the thing was a bear to get installed. I am using 3/8" bolts and I think it had a size smaller, maybe 5/16 holding it in prior. I had to use a ratchet strap around the frame in order to bring it together closer so that the frame bolt holes lined up enough for the bolts to slide in.

Fyi, bolts off of ebay are extremely cheap. I purchased a package of 100, 3/8-16 x 1" stainless steel flange bolts grade 8. What I was paying more than a dollar each for at the local hardware store, I was buying for .19 each on ebay. All of the nylon nuts and washers are equally affordable. Pretty cool!
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2017, 02:53 AM   #44
Spf79

Quote:
I was looking at your build tonight. I'm glad you are a head of me, looking at your pictures is very helpful! Question, what is the writing on the frame behind the gas tank and the writing on the top of your front axle for? It reminds me of the grease pencil writing from the facotry.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #45
kehstr

cool build subscribed!

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #46
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Nice work. I'm on board.
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #47
Spf79

Quote:

Spending some quality time today dinking with brake lines and bolting together the engine and transmission crossmembers. I'm kind of in a holding pattern till I get a hand installing gears in the axle housings. I prefer to have someone with more knowledge than I double check my work. Win Win right? I get to learn something new and my expensive parts get installed correctly. Yes! Unfortunately the old man's buddy that offered to help just had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Apparently it is not very fun to get old.

Question,

Did you have a a fair amount of tweaking to do on the rear axle brake lines? Mine will fit, I'm just curious if you had to do the same when fitting them? I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so I'm just checking.

I also realized that the front brake lines will need a fair amount of massaging since the front crossmember is from a 73 or later truck. Lol. Look at the pic as I was taking it apart. I thought the front crossmember brake lines looked a little funky. I wonder what the PO thought when they put this together.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #48
Spf79

Quote:
Spending some quality time today dinking with brake lines and bolting together the engine and transmission crossmembers. I'm kind of in a holding pattern till I get a hand installing gears in the axle housings. I prefer to have someone with more knowledge than I double check my work. Win Win right? I get to learn something new and my expensive parts get installed correctly. Yes! Unfortunately the old man's buddy that offered to help just had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Apparently it is not very fun to get old.

Question,

Did you have a a fair amount of tweaking to do on the rear axle brake lines? Mine will fit, I'm just curious if you had to do the same when fitting them? I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so I'm just checking.

I also realized that the front brake lines will need a fair amount of massaging since the front crossmember is from a 73 or later truck. Lol. Look at the pic as I was taking it apart. I thought the front crossmember brake lines looked a little funky. I wonder what the PO thought when they put this together.
Update... the rear end lines are perfect. It is the extra capacity cover that will make me have to bend the driver side rear line. Happy camper! See pick, I will have to bend the line so that it comes across the top and not across the cover.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2017, 12:32 AM   #49
Spf79

I have the art of spending money and not accomplishing anything down to a science.

I picked up my tranny today. Very pleased with the process I went through - great customer service. If the transmission runs as well as the interaction has been during the build I will be ecstatic with the finished product. It is a th350, I looked at a th400, then I looked at the cost needed to mate my np205 and passed, because I'm cheap. Not sure if I made the right choice... but I'm not hot rodding this truck so I think I will be OK. I had the guy build the tranny as much as he could for a th350. His name is Kieth Just, he spends time between Longview, Wa & Phoenix, az. I will attach the build sheet with his cell number, he is reasonable, definitely way cheaper than taking it to a shop and he gave me a 1 year warranty starting from when I install it. He said he wants to go for a ride.

I had a th350 behind a hot 383 in my 79 swb 4wd with a 4" lift & 33's... and at 19 I beat the living poop out of that truck and that tranny held up way better than the 10 bolt in the rear. I blew a supposedly new rebuilt 700r4 out of my 1st blazer before I put a th350 in it. I wasn't very kind to that vehicle either. I kick myself for selling both of them. But this 72 is making it all worth it.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 01:53 AM   #50
Spf79

Quick update!!... and brakes are done.

Not very fun when doing them on loose backing plates. Although, way better than being inside of a wheel well when you are up on jackstands. Lol.

Other things....

I picked up my new gas tank, I need to have the neck out of my old one attached/soldered to this one still. Wondering if it may be easier to weld the neck off of the old tank to the end of the new one. The tank from LMC looks like it has one heck of a solder job on the inlet nozzle, I would assume that they will need to heat that tank up pretty good to get the new nozzle out. Im not excited about the finish on the tank being toast.

Also picked up my "new to me" tilt steering column. I need to clean it up and paint it... that will come later on down the road.

Lastly, I bought two cheap inner pinion bearings. The plan was to grind the inside of the bearings so that I could slide them off and on by hand therfore making the process of setting the backlash way easier. Unfortunately they gave me some weird bearing for my dana 44... so now I need to take that one back and get the correct one.
Attached Images