The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
54blackhornet

Removing Original Equipment Lap Belt Bolts.

Thought I would share my experience removing them from my 72 GMC 1500. First job was removing the plastic covers from the retractors. One was no problem, I just pulled up on it a off it came . The other was a %itch. I eventually got it to release by looking underneath the one that came off easy. Located the nibs on two sides that hold them on. Pried up with large screwdriver and it released. I then BP Blasted both retractor bolts . Passenger side first I unscrewed a bit and again hit it with BP. I did this numerous times over a few days. Next i I wired wheeled the visible end of the bolt Protruding from the captured nut. BP again on ir along with anti seeze paste. After a few back and forth motions the bolt came out easy. The drivers side is more of a problem with the original gas tank installed up close to the retractor. Going back out now to try to figure out how to get to the 13/16 bolt almost hidden. I will post photos of original GM bolt used.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
54blackhornet

Re: Removing Original Equipment Lap Belt Bolts.

Managed to remove both outer retractor bolts. I had to move the driver side assembly a bit before I could get a open end 15/16 wrench on it. Worked it back and forth while hitting it with BP for about 1/2 hour before it released. Next up is moving the seat forward to access the inner bolts. Photo of original style bolt and washer. Bolts have LL embossed on them.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
54blackhornet

Managed to remove the two inner belt mounting bolts. Same procedure BP blaster, unscrew a bit, BP, turn back in, unscrew a bit more. I did crawl underneath and wire wheel the protruding bit showing through the captured nut. Photo of bolt. Domed head LL present on head, no washer used. Upon completion of removing the bolts I installed the inner female belts.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
dmjlambert

I tried that procedure on mine and gave it plenty of patience. Over a period of days I would spray PB Blaster on it, and work on it. I decided it was never coming off. So I went under the truck with a tiny cutoff disc on a $5 Harbor Freight rotary tool and used it to clean up the threads of the bolt. Then I was finally able to get it unscrewed.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
54blackhornet

Yep it’s funny how that little bit of dirt and corrosion will prevent the bolt from unscrewing. But patience is the trick to not breaking them off...