The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
68 P.O.S.

How to replace driveshaft in trans?

Getting ready to pull my engine (350) and trans (TH350) out for cleaning, resealing, etc. From what I've read here, the driveshaft will pull out of the trans as I remove the engine/trans. Sounds easy enough. When I reinstall the engine and trans, what's the best way to re-insert the driveshaft into the trans? This is my first time doing this and didn't find info on it. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
gmc684x4

Re: How to replace driveshaft in trans?

Unbolt the drive shaft first
Not knowing your truck its either 1 or two peice setup remove it drain tranny before removal

Engine hoist I use most i separate engine from tranny
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Getting ready to pull my engine (350) and trans (TH350) out for cleaning, resealing, etc. From what I've read here, the driveshaft will pull out of the trans as I remove the engine/trans. Sounds easy enough. When I reinstall the engine and trans, what's the best way to re-insert the driveshaft into the trans? This is my first time doing this and didn't find info on it. Thanks!
The driveshaft is connected to the transmission with a splined (slip) yoke. To remove the driveshaft, you simply unbolt u-joint from the rear axle input yoke, unbolt the center support bearing and then pull the driveshaft (complete with front u-joint/yoke) out of the transmission tailpiece. There is no bolt, clip, pin, or anything else to loosen or remove at the driveshaft/transmission connection. You reverse the process when reinstalling the driveshaft.

Little to no transmission fluid will escape when you remove the driveshaft (the fluid level is below the height of the tail shaft). But, if you tilt the transmission down at the rear, fluid will pour out. So, drain the fluid before removing the trans/engine assembly. And, tie a sturdy bag around the trans tail shaft to catch the residual oil that will want to escape even after draining the trans fluid.

Last edited by Davidf; 12-01-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
Unbolt the drive shaft first
Not knowing your truck its either 1 or two peice setup remove it drain tranny before removal

Engine hoist I use most i separate engine from tranny
Knew I forgot something lol. It's a 2-piece.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
The driveshaft is connected to the transmission with a splined (slip) yoke. To remove the driveshaft, you simply unbolt u-joint from the rear axle input yoke, unbolt the center support bearing and then pull the driveshaft (complete with front u-joint/yoke) out of the transmission tailpiece. There is no bolt, clip, pin, or anything else to loosen or remove at the driveshaft/transmission connection. You reverse the process when reinstalling the driveshaft.

Little to no transmission fluid will escape when you remove the driveshaft (the fluid level is below the height of the tail shaft). But, if you tilt the transmission down at the rear, fluid will pour out. So, drain the fluid before removing the trans/engine assembly. And, tie a sturdy bag around the trans tail shaft to catch the residual oil that will want toe scape even after draining the trans fluid.
Got it. I've removed the shaft from the diff before, so I get all that. The part I didn't understand is putting the engine & trans back in. It seems like it would be a bigger challenge getting the shaft back in the same way it came out. I wasn't sure if there was a trick to doing it, or if i would have to remove the shaft either way.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: How to replace driveshaft in trans?

They make a plastic piece to go in the end of the transmission to hold the fluid in. You can buy them cheap and tape it to the transmission while it's being pulled. Good idea to have a bag also though.

When going back in have the drive shaft pulled off the rear end and center bearing. Once you have the motor & transmission sitting back in the truck just slip the shaft back in it and install it back to the rear end and center bearing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...caAmqSEALw_wcB

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
54blackhornet

You can’t beat the experience on this site.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:08 AM   #8
68 P.O.S.

Thanks gents, I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes once I get to it lol. Should be soon
Old 12-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
BigBird05

That plug will come in handy if your not planning on draining the transmission.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote