The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
72farmer

What is a good wax or cleaner to put on chrome for long term storage?

I have been working on a 72 c-10 off and on for the last 5 years.I noticed some hard to get off spots on my already installed new front grill.
What can I do to clean spots off and preserve nice new chrome parts?
72farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What is a good wax or cleaner to put on chrome for long term storage?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original grilles are not technically chrome, they're anodized aluminum. At a glance, I don't see any posts for how to "polish" these without removing the finish. You might try diluted simple green and a soft cloth. Some low abrasive paint polish may work well.

I found this on-line. Little confusing however. The title reads for anodized aluminum, but the description says for "uncoated" aluminum.....WTH?

Amazon.com: Autosol Anodized Aluminum Polish 75ml... Amazon.com: Autosol Anodized Aluminum Polish 75ml...
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I've used Pro products on the paint of my vehicles for decades, love the stuff, and am currently reading my "#1 POLISH Clearcoat Formula". Without knowing any better, I'd say this would be a great option. I'd be real tempted to follow that up with their paint sealant too.

You might check the Pro website, they have a lot to offer. I highly recommend their polishes and paint sealants. Finish is second to none.

http://www.prowax.com/polishes_glaze..._1_Polish.html
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-22-2015 at 04:06 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
leftybass209

I agree the OEM grills are clear anodized over the aluminum. I am unsure of the aftermarket pieces. If it is anodized, and it's already starting to blemish, it is a coating similar to paint. You can try to buff it slightly, but you can't overheat the area by rubbing too hard, and you should be aware of rubbing through. I'd use a very light wax, and not a buffing compound, and just give it a light rub to see if the blemish will come out.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote