The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question AC question...

Coming back from the Moonshiner show this afternoon in Hiawassee GA the AC line blew off the back of the compressor on the 64 SS Impala. The factory hose clamps let go. I'm thinking I need to get crimp connections made for it. Need to have the oil drained and refilled also I guess. Pull a good vacuum and recharge it. I guess I should have checked them every once and while to keep them tight.
What do you guy's think. I shut it off as soon as I herd it. I knew what it was. Do they make a fitting to do this? Anybody know.
I guess I want be driving it much until I get the AC fixed.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: AC question...

I know theres a crimp tool that is used to make custom AC lines...I wouldnt think it would be a big deal to find a shop that could do it for you...
Heres some pics of the crimp tool, the fittings and some that are crimped..
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 08-01-2020 at 08:39 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I had a hose hooked up like that on my 81 when I got it. I will say the clamp lasted longer than the hose before it split open. Not something I would like to trust long for sure.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 08-02-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
weq92f

Well you had TWO clamps on it...dang can't imagine why that didn't hold LOL.

There's a current discussion going on that includes getting hoses made and where/how with a few chiming in here...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&goto=newpost

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Depending on conditions, the high side of the AC can go as high as 400 PSI. Were you idling at a stop sign or a traffic signal? Those do not appear to be clamps for an AC hose, they look different.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #6
FirstOwner69

The picture below shows the original A/C clamps on my '69 C20. I never had a problem. They are different from yours which appear to be regular hose clamps. I believe the added "leg" is to ensure proper positioning on the hose. I don't know if the clamps are also a bit heavier duty. They are readily available on eBay.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 08-01-2020 at 10:25 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: AC question...

Well guy's I'm more concerned with what I should do about the oil in the system. The rest is pretty much straight forward. I plan on getting the lines mad with crimp connections if possible. I just want to know what I should do about the oil in the system are the lack of it I guess I should say.
Yes the clamps are not the ones with the little legs on them but they are the same thing basically.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Since oil migrates through the system, you will have no real knowledge of the amount present in each component. You will have to find a way to flush it all out so that you know how much to put in the compressor. Good luck with it!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 08-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: AC question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Since oil migrates through the system, you will have no real knowledge of the amount present in each component. You will have to find a way to flush it all out so that you know how much to put in the compressor. Good luck with it!
This is what I was thinking also. I hope I can find someone who can do this for me. That's not going to be cheap I bet either!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Arrow Re: AC question...

Back in the day, we had some kind of foaming cleaner that was attached to the system to get any guck out, but dogged if I remember what it was. It's probably illegal, now.

Here's a site with a kit.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiT...SABEgJxnPD_BwE

Some people say let the stuff evaporate out of the system, but I'd be more inclined to run nitrogen or dry air through the system. Open system time lets moisture from the air in. I'd hesitate to use my vacuum pump, since it might purge the oil out it. Back then, we'd just run R-12 through it for awhile. I KNOW that that is illegal, now.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 08-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

I have spent all morning since 8am at all the local parts stores, O-Reilly, Advance, Napa, Auto zone nobody can even order a hose set for the compressor for it. They don't even show it for the model year.So I'm going to put it back together with the old style clamps and just keep a eye on them. I'll have Randy add the oil and do the vacuum and charge on it hope for the best.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #12
Custom 68

I was looking thru my buddy's AC book the other day and I know it had some approximate oil values based on what part was being replaced. But yes with it all thru the system it is hard to know. I assume you will replace teh accumulator I know that has a "set" amount that would be in it so that amount will need to be replaced. I bet the lost amount is a small amount with that in the accumulator being the largest amount.

Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
weq92f

Andy, your post here got me worried about the oil level in my system as I had a similar issue recently with a leak and had to recharge it after repair ( VA ). When I fixed my system, I did NOT replace any potentially lost oil. My thinking at the time was no components were replaced so negligible amounts of oil was lost.

After quite a lot of reading up on the subject I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to be OK and that you too would be OK to just reattach the hose with some new clamps ( install the clamps opposite one another like your other remaining clamped hose there ) and have the system charged ( or do it yourself ) without adding any additional oil.

When that hose blew off, pressure was lost immediately and your compressor was shut off likely just as fast due to your pressure switch. Whatever oil happened to be within close proximity to the breach point was lost, but everywhere else in the system the oil stayed put as it was no longer able to get out of the system. Maybe you lost 1/16 or less of an oz. Don't think you would even be able to meter that much back in successfully without overcharging with oil. Too much oil is also a bad thing!

If you decide to add oil, you'll need to flush the entire system with an A/C flush agent/solvent to remove the oil that is in the system now.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Andy, your post here got me worried about the oil level in my system as I had a similar issue recently with a leak and had to recharge it after repair ( VA ). When I fixed my system, I did NOT replace any potentially lost oil. My thinking at the time was no components were replaced so negligible amounts of oil was lost.

After quite a lot of reading up on the subject I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to be OK and that you too would be OK to just reattach the hose with some new clamps ( install the clamps opposite one another like your other remaining clamped hose there ) and have the system charged ( or do it yourself ) without adding any additional oil.

When that hose blew off, pressure was lost immediately and your compressor was shut off likely just as fast due to your pressure switch. Whatever oil happened to be within close proximity to the breach point was lost, but everywhere else in the system the oil stayed put as it was no longer able to get out of the system. Maybe you lost 1/16 or less of an oz. Don't think you would even be able to meter that much back in successfully without overcharging with oil. Too much oil is also a bad thing!

If you decide to add oil, you'll need to flush the entire system with an A/C flush agent/solvent to remove the oil that is in the system now.

Hth,

-klb
A slow leak like you had would have lost little oil. Wherever the leak was, you would see some wetting. One place people have trouble finding a leak is the compressor seal. But all you have to do is look for the streak of oil on the bottom side of the hood in line with that seal.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 08-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: AC question...

I got the lines done today. I called the guy who did them the first time and I took him the lines and he put crimp connections on them. So I should be good you think. I bought a bottle of oil and 2 o rings and the connections all for $13.50. He made them up while I waited. I have them back in the car but not finished tightening them. Was gonna wait and see if I should add some oil before I do final connections.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Finished up putting everything back together. Talked to the shop they are going to do the vacuum and recharge Friday morning. I put 1 ounce of oil in the high pressure side hose before I connected everything up. Should be good to go.
Getting the inner fender lined back up was the hardest part of all.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-04-2020, 05:43 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I know theres a crimp tool that is used to make custom AC lines...I wouldnt think it would be a big deal to find a shop that could do it for you...
Heres some pics of the crimp tool, the fittings and some that are crimped..
If I had enough AC work to pay for a crimp tool I'd buy one. It would be nice to have around though to do power steering hoses also are if you had tractor and needed hoses made.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Well the AC didn't get done Friday as planned. The dang key switch failed on the Impala when I went to crank it up Friday morning. I had to pull the coil wire off to get it to stop. Starter stayed engaged and wouldn't stop. So I had to rip the key switch out of it and nobody has one so I ordered it. Want be here until Wedensday.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #19
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Did your replace the accumulator? Anytime the system is open it needs replaced. Just a thought.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

No I didn't replace the dryer. The hose blew off and I stopped and put it back on. I don't think it will effect it. I will see I guess.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #21
truckdude239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
No I didn't replace the dryer. The hose blew off and I stopped and put it back on. I don't think it will effect it. I will see I guess.

make sure to pull a long vacumn then the drier has a desiccant bag, inside that absorbs moisture in the system depending on how long the system has been open the drier should be replaced open 10 or 15 mins no biggie pull an hour vacumn but open or have no freon for days should be replaced. you never notice an issuse with temp levels but it wont remove any moisture and in long run turn feron acidic and eat the system

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

I may go ahead and get one before I try to vacuum it & charge it. No reason not to since it's been sitting so long.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club