The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
hemi43

Need help finding a part

In an on going effort to fine tune my Blazer, I'm now wanting to reduce the amount of camber on the front end. Even though the truck drives amazing, I'm starting to see the tires wearing on the outside edge. I measured everything, and I have 1.2 degrees of camber which is too much especially with taller tires.
Moog (part# K936) used to make an adjustable bushing to relocate the upper ball joint, but I just called them and they no longer produce this item.
Does anyone know of another manufacturer that sell these? I could machine my own, but would be much easier if I could just purchase a set.
Reference picture below as to what these look like.
Thanks in advance.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
1rippen6

Re: Need help finding a part

I thought I saw them or rockauto
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rippen6 View Post
I thought I saw them or rockauto
Nope! seems like they've been discontinued everywhere. Summit sells something similar but will have to do some research to see if it will fit.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
SeventyOne

What about a shim that goes behind the spindle like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...7/applications
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
What about a shim that goes behind the spindle like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...7/applications
That was my second option. The problem with those is that the whole hub needs to be taken apart. I ended up getting the bushings from Summit after doing some research. They are a slightly different design from the 2 piece units, but should work.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
That was my second option. The problem with those is that the whole hub needs to be taken apart. I ended up getting the bushings from Summit after doing some research. They are a slightly different design from the 2 piece units, but should work.
Doesnt the whole hub need to be taken apart to get to the ball joints? Are do you pop off the whole knuckle (hub and all), put in the bushing into the axle C and rebolt up the whole hub assembly?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Doesnt the whole hub need to be taken apart to get to the ball joints? Are do you pop off the whole knuckle (hub and all), put in the bushing into the axle C and rebolt up the whole hub assembly?
No. All that needs to be done is to use a ball joint remover on the top ball joint to put pressure on it, and then hit the the stud to break it free from the taper. The taper is actually a threaded insert than can then be removed with a special socket. The new threaded insert has the taper offset which is how your camber can be adjusted.

I wanted the 2 piece insert because the threaded portion sets the ball joint preload, and then the tapered part can be inserted and indexed in the correct position. Unfortunately, no one makes these anymore. 1st Pic below

The new style is only one piece, and does both the preload and offset. The problem with this style is that the bushing may not be in the right position once you reach the proper preload, so shim style washers need to be used. Not perfect. but should work. 2nd pic
Attached Images