The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
J3rm0ff

Disc brake hub assemblies

I am looking to put together my own big brake kit. I have a 72 c10 with disc brakes now. I was going to buy cpp modular drop spindles. However I believe I need some type of hub bearing assembly that isn't a rotor. I see big brake kits Come with them but I can't seem to find them by themselves. The only other thing I can think of is to buy a spindle for drum brake front and buy a drum brake hub.
J3rm0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: Disc brake hub assemblies

Not to add to confusion but when i get to my big brake kit i'm going to take my old rotors to a machine shop and have them cut away the areas i don't want. Now i have a steel hub. Remove the lug studs before machining and possibly will need to install longer studs to accommodate the added thickness of the rotor.

My next step is to use the 14" rotors from my 2014 dodge durango awd (5,7 hemi=13.78" rotors) because they are 5x5 bolt pattern. Just need to pay attention to the rotor centering hub hole dimension. I have installed my 18" wheels in place of the stock 20" durango wheels on my durango and the 18" wheel just clears the caliper.

I will most likely use the durango brake calipers and brackets and make a bracket to work with whatever spindle i choose. The cost for this should be fairly low cost and i can say i designed it.

Oh, welcome aboard!!

Last edited by 68c10airstream; 11-29-2017 at 11:31 PM.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
whitedog76

Talk to the folks at CPP. They have aluminum 6 lug hubs for other applications, may be able to help.

Wilwood has modular spindles too. A little on the pricey side though.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
Not to add to confusion but when i get to my big brake kit i'm going to take my old rotors to a machine shop and have them cut away the areas i don't want. Now i have a steel hub. Remove the lug studs before machining and possibly will need to install longer studs to accommodate the added thickness of the rotor.

My next step is to use the 14" rotors from my 2014 dodge durango awd (5,7 hemi=13.78" rotors) because they are 5x5 bolt pattern. Just need to pay attention to the rotor centering hub hole dimension. I have installed my 18" wheels in place of the stock 20" durango wheels on my durango and the 18" wheel just clears the caliper.

I will most likely use the durango brake calipers and brackets and make a bracket to work with whatever spindle i choose. The cost for this should be fairly low cost and i can say i designed it.

Oh, welcome aboard!!
I didn't think about turning down the stock rotors and using that as the hub. I will have to look at that when I get home.

I want to get rotors from a jeep srt8 and brembos from a camaro ss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
Talk to the folks at CPP. They have aluminum 6 lug hubs for other applications, may be able to help.

Wilwood has modular spindles too. A little on the pricey side though.
I did send an email to cpp to see if they will sell just the hubs. Haven't heard anything back tho. The wilwood spindles would be perfect but would exceed my brake budget.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
68c10airstream

Check with travis at pro performance.com. He is real helpful and will go the extra mile and not charge horrible prices. He has a big brake kit with the hubs you are looking for, (from memory).
Old 12-01-2017, 01:53 AM   #6
EVRLET

Try Kore3. I have their hubs on my CPP modular spindle. Ended up with 14” Z06 rotors with Z06 6 piston calipers
Old 12-02-2017, 01:42 AM   #7
J3rm0ff

I've contacted both of them to see what I can do. Went up to summit racing today to see if there was anything they could do but came back empty handed. I picked up some used camaro ss rotors to machine to see if I can make them work. After researching more I think jeep srt8 rotors will be a better way to go. Same dimensions as camaro but 5x5 bolt pattern.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Pro Performance

We do have hubs in both 5 and 6 lug. They aren't cheap, since it is a machined hub with studs and bearings, but can sell them separately.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:08 AM   #9
smbrouss70

Wilwood sells their hubs separately also...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-270-13217

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
J3rm0ff

I ended up taking mine to my dads and we machined them down. I will have to get longer wheel studs. I didn't realize how thick these things are.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
Notch1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3rm0ff View Post
I ended up taking mine to my dads and we machined them down. I will have to get longer wheel studs. I didn't realize how thick these things are.
I assume you have to modify the caliper brackets to get the caliper to line up now?

Link to my build:
My GMC Project
Notch1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch1988 View Post
I assume you have to modify the caliper brackets to get the caliper to line up now?
Sorry forgot to mention I got the cpp modular spindles. I still have to make the brackets but they will be relatively simple.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
68c10airstream

Keep going with your brainstorm, looking good!!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
Tork?

I've looked into the diy big brake upgrade on my 72. I came up with 2 paths.

1) stock 72 brake disc machined to make a hub & with longer studs; C6 Z06 rotors with hub bored from 70.x to 78.3 mm and drilled 5x5; ctsv1 or 2 calipers & make bracket.

2) basically same as 1 but use Wilwood hubs PN 270-13217 the ones they make for for CPP modular spindle kits and have discs bored to Wilwood hub specs which looks like 77.7mm hub. This would allow 5x4.75 but then I'll have to go down a rabbit hole for the rear. With #2 it may even work with Wilwood Aero 6 calipers/brackets with CPP modular spindle and C6Z discs. Basically a cheap version of their 140-13692-D kit to avoid the the $500 per corner brake disc costs. They're both 14x1.25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3rm0ff View Post
Sorry forgot to mention I got the cpp modular spindles. I still have to make the brackets but they will be relatively simple.
Looks like CTSV1 calipers? interested in what you make your bracket out of. EDIT: On closer look i guess they're gen 5 camaro same thing. You running the Camaro rotors with stud holes drilled out?
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
I've looked into the diy big brake upgrade on my 72. I came up with 2 paths.

1) stock 72 brake disc machined to make a hub & with longer studs; C6 Z06 rotors with hub bored from 70.x to 78.3 mm and drilled 5x5; ctsv1 or 2 calipers & make bracket.

2) basically same as 1 but use Wilwood hubs PN 270-13217 the ones they make for for CPP modular spindle kits and have discs bored to Wilwood hub specs which looks like 77.7mm hub. This would allow 5x4.75 but then I'll have to go down a rabbit hole for the rear. With #2 it may even work with Wilwood Aero 6 calipers/brackets with CPP modular spindle and C6Z discs. Basically a cheap version of their 140-13692-D kit to avoid the the $500 per corner brake disc costs. They're both 14x1.25.

Looks like CTSV1 calipers? interested in what you make your bracket out of. EDIT: On closer look i guess they're gen 5 camaro same thing. You running the Camaro rotors with stud holes drilled out?
I was never able to find those wilwood hubs. I'll keep that in the back of my mind but it looks like the factor rotors machined down will work for me.

Yea they're gen 5 camaro calipers I got locally from someone parting out. The rotor in the picture is a junk rotor from a camaro ss that I slotted the holes for mockup purposes. I have since found that srt8 jeep front rotors are nearly identical in dimensions and have 5x5 bolt pattern already. I went to the parts store and bought one just to compare and it was nearly the same so I will probably run those in the front and just bore the center out.

For the rear I got a srt8 jeep and camaro ss rotor to compare. I'd really like to use the jeep one because of the bolt pattern and offset however the backside of it is different. The mounting ears of the caliper are too close for comfort. There's a 360 degree relief cut out in the backside of the camaro rotors. So I may just stick with using the camaro ss rears.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #16
Tork?

ah cool hadn't thought of the Jeep rotors. What are you thinking for an ebrake?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #17
J3rm0ff

Quote:
ah cool hadn't thought of the Jeep rotors. What are you thinking for an ebrake?
The guy I got the calipers from still has the whole internal ebrake assemblies from the camaro ss. I think that would be the best way to go if it all fits. Which it looks like there should be plenty of room.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 PM   #18
Tork?

Is the pic with the caliper bolted to the spindle how youre planning final mounting? Looks like it spaces it out over the disc pretty good. I guess even if one hole matches up you'd still want a bracket with more than one spindle mount point.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #19
smbrouss70

Quote:
This would allow 5x4.75 but then I'll have to go down a rabbit hole for the rear.
The Wilwood hubs have 5x4.75 AND 5x5 wheel patterns.

http://www.wilwood.com/Hubs/HubProd....emno=270-13217

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:45 AM   #20
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Is the pic with the caliper bolted to the spindle how youre planning final mounting? Looks like it spaces it out over the disc pretty good. I guess even if one hole matches up you'd still want a bracket with more than one spindle mount point.
It's hut bolted on to the spindle with one bolt. I need to order new front rotors before I make the brackets. They should be pretty simple to make