The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
WI65gmc

New Headlight Mod

halo headkights along with a heavy duty harness relays and hid lights what does everyone think? (i only took a pic of 1 side of grill cause i couldnt get back far enough to get the whole thing it a 1965 gmc so dual headlights)
Attached Images

WI65gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
corvettejim1968

Re: New Headlight Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI65gmc View Post
halo headkights along with a heavy duty harness relays and hid lights what does everyone think? (i only took a pic of 1 side of grill cause i couldnt get back far enough to get the whole thing it a 1965 gmc so dual headlights)
looks awesome. i like how its not obvious until they are on
https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
westcoast5

looks good!
westcoast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Freak Truckin'

That looks AWESOME! Love that blue. Where did you get the halo headlights and HID kit from?
Thanks!

1962 Chevy C10 SWB Panel (new project!)
1976 Chevy P20 Step-Van (my work truck)
1964 Fd E-100 5-window Pickup (long term rat rod project, hey it's 429 SCJ powered!)
Freak Truckin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
ConnDemned

I'm really not a fan of halos, they look great on the audis but not much else. I am guilty of runnin some on my dd jetta, but they're so dim you can't see them unless its dark. Also hids in reflective housings are really bright to on coming traffic, that's why most come with projector beams, they have a cut off built in so the beam of light doesn't blind on comming traffic. You may want to adjust them down a bit further than normal and hope no cops are out looking to fill a quata, because they are illegal in most areas (hids in reflective housings)
Posted via Mobile Device
ConnDemned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Arrow Re: New Headlight Mod

I had some at one time and took them out because they were burning out.
They had the halo, and a blue led light at the bottom.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474527
-----------------------------------------------------------------
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
WI65gmc

i got them from a place called www.prostreetlighting.com but the down fall is that i had to modify the light the the trim ring and the part that holds the bucket with the adjusting screws they were suppose to be for a 64 impala but theyre all the same size i have to wait to afjust them till after i finish my paint job and mount the grill does anyone have tips for adjusting the lights?

how fast were your lights burning out? and did you have and trouble with cops with the halos?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
theastronaut

Quote:
i got them from a place called www.prostreetlighting.com but the down fall is that i had to modify the light the the trim ring and the part that holds the bucket with the adjusting screws they were suppose to be for a 64 impala but theyre all the same size i have to wait to afjust them till after i finish my paint job and mount the grill does anyone have tips for adjusting the lights?

how fast were your lights burning out? and did you have and trouble with cops with the halos?
As far as aiming goes, you need to make sure that the lights have a proper "cut off" on low beams. The horizontal cut-off line is what you use to aim the lights. If your lights don't produce this type of low beam pattern, they aren't properly controlling the light output and could be emitting excessive glare for oncoming traffic. You've upgraded your harness and are using HID bulbs that are many times brighter than halogens, so you have to be responsible for the extra light coming out. Also, any blue lights are more than likely illegal (they are in my state); you may want to change to clear bulbs/halos.

Here's a shot of low beams with a sharp cut off pattern. The horizontal line is what you use to aim the lights. The line will rise towards the passenger side; some rise at an angle and keep going up, and some level off again as shown in this pic. Either way, the point where the horizontal line begins to rise at an angle is the center point of your low beam pattern when aiming the lights. I doubt you'll have a sharp cut off with HID bulbs though. I've had friends with drop-in HID's in halogen housings get pulled over for excessive glare, so those may be a problem too. HID's can't be switched on and off quickly, and take a moment to warm up so you probably won't have functioning high beams without a few seconds of darkness when switching beam patterns. If you have four H4 headlight housings, you won't have a noticeable difference in beam pattern between high and low beams with HID bulbs; they'll just be "on". The dual filaments in H4 bulbs is what create the high and low beam pattern in the same housing; HID bulbs lose this feature since they're only "on".

If you do have a cut-off on low beams, here's a pic of how to adjust the headlights. You'll need a flat driveway or parking lot with a wall to shine the low beams on 25 feet away. On low beams, the cut off point on the wall should measure 3 inches lower than the height of the center of your headlights. Three inches isn't much, and is why you need a completely flat surface to aim your lights.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
theastronaut

I poked around on prostreetlighting and found this, which they advertise as "HID" but really is just a blue tinted halogen H4 bulb. Real HID's have a ballast box to run the HID bulbs. If this is what you bought (except in the 5 3/4" version) then you should have functioning high/low beams just like normal bulbs since that's all they are. Depending on the quality of the housings you will probably have a low beam cut-off too. The blue tint actually reduces the light output compared to clear bulbs, but they get away with advertising them as "90/100W output from a 55/65W bulb" since most people are replacing old sealed beams and the new housings will make any regular wattage bulbs seem alot brighter than the old sealed beams.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
piratexpress1369a

Quote:

they look great just what i want for my 63 ..did you take pics of the peices that you trimmed ?
was this the kit your bought? http://www.prostreetlighting.com/pro...-5-34-4pc.html

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
WI65gmc

Thumbs up Re: New Headlight Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
As far as aiming goes, you need to make sure that the lights have a proper "cut off" on low beams. The horizontal cut-off line is what you use to aim the lights. If your lights don't produce this type of low beam pattern, they aren't properly controlling the light output and could be emitting excessive glare for oncoming traffic. You've upgraded your harness and are using HID bulbs that are many times brighter than halogens, so you have to be responsible for the extra light coming out. Also, any blue lights are more than likely illegal (they are in my state); you may want to change to clear bulbs/halos.

Here's a shot of low beams with a sharp cut off pattern. The horizontal line is what you use to aim the lights. The line will rise towards the passenger side; some rise at an angle and keep going up, and some level off again as shown in this pic. Either way, the point where the horizontal line begins to rise at an angle is the center point of your low beam pattern when aiming the lights. I doubt you'll have a sharp cut off with HID bulbs though. I've had friends with drop-in HID's in halogen housings get pulled over for excessive glare, so those may be a problem too. HID's can't be switched on and off quickly, and take a moment to warm up so you probably won't have functioning high beams without a few seconds of darkness when switching beam patterns. If you have four H4 headlight housings, you won't have a noticeable difference in beam pattern between high and low beams with HID bulbs; they'll just be "on". The dual filaments in H4 bulbs is what create the high and low beam pattern in the same housing; HID bulbs lose this feature since they're only "on".

If you do have a cut-off on low beams, here's a pic of how to adjust the headlights. You'll need a flat driveway or parking lot with a wall to shine the low beams on 25 feet away. On low beams, the cut off point on the wall should measure 3 inches lower than the height of the center of your headlights. Three inches isn't much, and is why you need a completely flat surface to aim your lights.

thank you for clearing that up that they are not actually hid but halogen? and for the advice about aiming headlights will be usefull when the time comes
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
WI65gmc

also pirateexpress that was the kit i bought i will take some pics of the modifications i had to make before you buy the kit you should really look at the modifications! ill post them tonight hopefully or as soon as possible
Old 08-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
piratexpress1369a

Quote:
also pirateexpress that was the kit i bought i will take some pics of the modifications i had to make before you buy the kit you should really look at the modifications! ill post them tonight hopefully or as soon as possible
cool thanks ..local law here says no blue light in front ..i have sent email to the company to see if the ring comes with a white ring instead of blue...but i do like the blue ring

Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
theastronaut

Quote:
thank you for clearing that up that they are not actually hid but halogen? and for the advice about aiming headlights will be usefull when the time comes
If the bulb looks like the one in the pic below, it's a standard halogen H4 bulb with a blue tint on it. True HID will have a ballast for each headlight that you have to mount on the inner fenders or radiator support. The aftermarket headlight industry has to be one of the worst for false advertising.

Halogen H4:

Drop-in HID with ballast:

Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
sandiego65

Those look cool I like the blue there on a separate switch right the blue only comes on when you want it too. You should post up a how too with pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
sandiego65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
WI65gmc

the first pic shows the holes on the grill i had to open up to get the back of the headlight housing to fit the second is the tabs on the headlight the are suppose to keep it from rotating they dont line up so i ground them down flush to get the headlight to sit in the bucket and the last two are of the piece i made to help bend the trim rings in order to get them to fit around the headlight

here is a link to the switch im going to wire up inside the cab Oracle Lighting LSGQ16FB Blue LED On/Off Flush... Oracle Lighting LSGQ16FB Blue LED On/Off Flush...
if anyone has anymore questions or wants more detail just ask
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
Beetle

I would love to have these with blue halos for our 69. I need to snoop around the site n see if I can find some 7''ers
68 Step
Trucks Sold: 70 GMC, 72 K5
Members met: Andy4639 GCncsuHD CSGAS zicc1835 hotrod farm truck Mingrao Bhelton brenthiggins
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
piratexpress1369a

Quote:
the first pic shows the holes on the grill i had to open up to get the back of the headlight housing to fit the second is the tabs on the headlight the are suppose to keep it from rotating they dont line up so i ground them down flush to get the headlight to sit in the bucket and the last two are of the piece i made to help bend the trim rings in order to get them to fit around the headlight

here is a link to the switch im going to wire up inside the cab Oracle Lighting LSGQ16FB Blue LED On/Off Flush Mount Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive

if anyone has anymore questions or wants more detail just ask
great thanks for the pictures this helps big time ..on a side note this company only has the blue ring no other colors... so how does one remember all this info in my brain lol