The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
desert-rat

Something's wrong with this brake part.

So I was able to get some pics of rear drums from a few members. I see a problem here. Why is this piece shaped differently?? And as you can see, somehow it came loose and worn through thanks to the axle. Wrong piece?? I repositioned it and it came loose again. What's going on here?? And the shoes seized to the drums but that's for another thread.
Attached Images

desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Something's wrong with this brake part.

That is not the correct part. It should look like this picture-

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...SABEgL12fD_BwE

Might not be the exact part, I just typed in "1970 Chevrolet parking brake strut", without picking a tonnage. But the flat shape is correct.

Also, you have a wheel stud that should be pressed the rest of the way in.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
desert-rat

I thought so. Not sure how the wrong strut got on there. Maybe from the previous owner. And thanks for pointing out the wheel stud 😂 this rebuild is getting out of control. I seem to spend more time fixing things instead of restoring. 😆
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
tj1970cst

All 4 drum brakes on my truck were goofed up when I got it. The old owner had "all new" brakes put on at a place that is supposed to be reputable. All the self adjusters were locked up and some springs were put on wrong. One strut spring was cut short with dykes to make it fit.

You'd come out ahead to buy hardware and self adjuster kits for all of your drum brakes and putting it together correctly. All those springs are meant to be replaced periodically anyway. It will cost around $25/wheel.
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #5
PepperTreeGarage

If that's a DANA 60 axle here are some pics that might help you out. All pics are Driver Side, except last pic is Passenger Side.
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
desert-rat

Thanks everybody for all your replies. This helps me out a lot and lets me know where I'm at on these brakes.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperTreeGarage View Post
If that's a DANA 60 axle here are some pics that might help you out. All pics are Driver Side, except last pic is Passenger Side.
You seem to have the same parking brake strut that came off of my brakes. I guess it depends on axle type. Going to have to find out what axle I have. Thanks bro.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-rat View Post
You seem to have the same parking brake strut that came off of my brakes. I guess it depends on axle type. Going to have to find out what axle I have. Thanks bro.
Glad it helps. Here's a pic to help identify which axle you have. Just by what I can see in your pics, backing plate and floating hub, it looks the same as my Dana 60. Good Luck with your build.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 AM   #9
desert-rat

Quote:
Glad it helps. Here's a pic to help identify which axle you have. Just by what I can see in your pics, backing plate and floating hub, it looks the same as my Dana 60. Good Luck with your build.
Thanks a lot for the pics. This'll help me out big time.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:01 AM   #10
BlazerBill

Very nice detail.
BlazerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #11
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerBill View Post
Very nice detail.
Thank You. I'm taking many pics to document this build. Here's one of the new carrier and gears inside the DANA 60.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 05:52 AM   #12
desert-rat

Quote:
Thank You. I'm taking many pics to document this build. Here's one of the new carrier and gears inside the DANA 60.
That's cool. I plan on taking lots of pictures of my build also. That's a clean-looking carrier in that housing there. Once I have my axle rebuild probably put in a limited slip.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
That's cool. I plan on taking lots of pictures of my build also. That's a clean-looking carrier in that housing there. Once I have my axle rebuild probably put in a limited slip.
The carrier is a Yukon Dura Grip.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 04:24 AM   #14
desert-rat

Quote:
The carrier is a Yukon Dura Grip.
nice. I haven't decided yet on the carrier type yet. But im gonna look into that Yukon Dura Grip.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:33 AM   #15
desert-rat

Well, looking at my very dirty diff, I do see it's a Dana. Not sure if it's a 44, 60, or 70. I didn't have time to wipe it down. The truck is at the body shop and you know they dont want people in their shop long.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #16
Hotcorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1970cst View Post
All 4 drum brakes on my truck were goofed up when I got it. The old owner had "all new" brakes put on at a place that is supposed to be reputable. All the self adjusters were locked up and some springs were put on wrong. One strut spring was cut short with dykes to make it fit.

You'd come out ahead to buy hardware and self adjuster kits for all of your drum brakes and putting it together correctly. All those springs are meant to be replaced periodically anyway. It will cost around $25/wheel.
Posted via Mobile DeviceAre you buying at a local parts store or online? Seems like about 1/4 of the parts I buy these days have to go back because they’re not right.

Last edited by Hotcorner; 05-09-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Hotcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #17
desert-rat

Quote:
Well, looking at my very dirty diff, I do see it's a Dana. Not sure if it's a 44, 60, or 70. I didn't have time to wipe it down. The truck is at the body shop and you know they dont want people in their shop long.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Mine looked like that. (first pic) Should say 60. (second Pic). I don't think the 44 or 70 was offered in these 3/4 ton trucks.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
desert-rat

Quote:
Mine looked like that. (first pic) Should say 60. (second Pic). I don't think the 44 or 70 was offered in these 3/4 ton trucks.
Wow! It went from looking like my axle to looking really really clean. I'm hoping to get my axle looking like that after I get it back from The Body Shop and strip down the frame. Are you still working on the rebuild?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #20
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Wow! It went from looking like my axle to looking really really clean. I'm hoping to get my axle looking like that after I get it back from The Body Shop and strip down the frame. Are you still working on the rebuild?
Yes. Most of the suspension and C-notch is done. Still need to do the rear Sway Bar. Doing the Cab/Core Support Mounts next, then Engine compartment and finally new 383 with 4L80E. I added Air helper bags in the rear for towing and hauling. I'm keeping this truck as functional as I can. She just sits closer to the ground now. Here's a link to my FB album with more pics.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...8891335&type=3
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #21
desert-rat

Quote:
Yes. Most of the suspension and C-notch is done. Still need to do the rear Sway Bar. Doing the Cab/Core Support Mounts next, then Engine compartment and finally new 383 with 4L80E. I added Air helper bags in the rear for towing and hauling. I'm keeping this truck as functional as I can. She just sits closer to the ground now. Here's a link to my FB album with more pics.

Man that's a nice looking truck!! Its coming along great. Looks better than mine currently. I need to lower mine a bit more, but not too low where I need to C notch. Hard trying to find lowering parts for 3/4 ton. I know performanceonline.com sells a 2 1/2 inch drop up front with 8 lug disk brake conversion. Lowered the back by removing 2 leaf springs with no axle wrap...that really softened the ride. And 2 inch drop shackles out back should get me where I want.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #22
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Man that's a nice looking truck!! Its coming along great. Looks better than mine currently. I need to lower mine a bit more, but not too low where I need to C notch. Hard trying to find lowering parts for 3/4 ton. I know performanceonline.com sells a 2 1/2 inch drop up front with 8 lug disk brake conversion. Lowered the back by removing 2 leaf springs with no axle wrap...that really softened the ride. And 2 inch drop shackles out back should get me where I want.
I pulled one Leaf and refurbished the Leaf Packs. I also added upgrade Rotors.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #23
desert-rat

Quote:

Here's how my truck sits after removing two leaf springs from each side on the rear. It leveled the truck. Maybe two more inches all the way around is what I think I'm looking for. The ride went from being bouncy to being big-time smooth . The other picture is the rocker panels being cut out and the drivers floor soon to be cut out too. This truck is a work in progress. Been in my family since before I was born. It was handed down to me so now I must take care of it.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #24
BlazerBill

Did you powder coat or paint the leafs? Or for that matter the axle housing?
Thanks looking good.
BlazerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #25
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Here's how my truck sits after removing two leaf springs from each side on the rear. It leveled the truck. Maybe two more inches all the way around is what I think I'm looking for. The ride went from being bouncy to being big-time smooth . The other picture is the rocker panels being cut out and the drivers floor soon to be cut out too. This truck is a work in progress. Been in my family since before I was born. It was handed down to me so now I must take care of it.
Glad your bringing this Good Old Girl back.