The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Cool I bought a LSX motor!

Well as the title states I bought a 2003 6.0 LSX motor & 480 transmission with 89,000 miles on it. I also got the computer that has already been sent off and redone along with wiring harness. Motor mounts, new fuel pump.
I will be buying a radiator to fit the new motor with all the right connections on the right sides. Any and all comments welcomed for I have to learn how and what I need to get this going. It's going to take awhile but I have until next June before I have to be done.
I want it in and going for the 2014 Power Tour.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: I bought a LSX motor!

I also got the o-2 senors, oil cooler lines and all the AC lines which I don't think I will be able to use. I will be adding to this as I get stuff done.
Any suggestions comments please advise me on what I should look for are need.
Looking forward to this install.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

Re: I bought a LSX motor!

Lucky dog! Andy if I read between the lines the 71 is going to receive the transplant right?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: I bought a LSX motor!

Yes the 71 is getting a new heart beat! Want to have it up and running by next June before the power tour starts!
The old 305 TPI is needing a whole rebuild so I figured this would be a better way.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
RaceAGMC

Congrats. I love my 6.0/ 4l80e combo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: I bought a LSX motor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAGMC View Post
Congrats. I love my 6.0/ 4l80e combo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do u have any suggestions on the install.
It's going to be a slow build at first because I'm fixing to start 6 -12 at work for a few months, but it should pick up after the first of the year.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
ls1nova71

Let the fun begin!!! I was thinking if I get my Blazer done in time I may take it on next years Power Tour.

The PCM says 2001, and the engine looks like it's DBC, so I would say it isn't a 2003.

Also, some custom fabbed lines on the factory A/C compressor and you'll be good to go since you've already got a modified system without the POA. I have about the same set up and it will freeze you out of the truck on the hottest day.

If you have any specific questions, hit us up, there's a lot of conversions been done on here.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Hart_Rod

Nice
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

If you and a friend get serious, yall could have the old out and the new in in a weekend. another weekend to plumb the fuel and stab the radiator in. Next thing you know is your driving it.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
faribran

Andy, a cold AC will be a good thing, esp like the temp was in Bham on this past POWER TOUR. huh...
Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Yes I plan to have everything hooked up on it when done. My main thing is having to wait to start on it since I'm fixing to start a outage at work.
I want and try to have everything I need up front for the install so I can try and get it done in about a weeks time. Don't want to be waiting on parts. I know I want have everything but I want and try to cover most bases.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
mooseknuckles

that red print is hard to read...
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: I bought a LSX motor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Let the fun begin!!! I was thinking if I get my Blazer done in time I may take it on next years Power Tour.

The PCM says 2001, and the engine looks like it's DBC, so I would say it isn't a 2003.
Also, some custom fabbed lines on the factory A/C compressor and you'll be good to go since you've already got a modified system without the POA. I have about the same set up and it will freeze you out of the truck on the hottest day.

If you have any specific questions, hit us up, there's a lot of conversions been done on here.
ls1nova71,
I don't know what DBC means, sorry.
The power tour is amazingly fun. U need to try and go.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
ls1nova71,
I don't know what DBC means, sorry.
The power tour is amazingly fun. U need to try and go.
DBC - drive by cable
DBW - drive by wire ie, electric pedal

In 2003 GM started changing over to DBW, but not all vehicles were switched. Vans, HD trucks, mostly commercial vehicles were still DBC, at least based on the info I have read.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: I bought a LSX motor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
DBC - drive by cable
DBW - drive by wire ie, electric pedal

In 2003 GM started changing over to DBW, but not all vehicles were switched. Vans, HD trucks, mostly commercial vehicles were still DBC, at least based on the info I have read.
Thanks for that info. It is a cable driven motor which is what I wanted since I already have the cable for the TPI setup in the truck now, which I know I will have to swap it out.
Can u give me any more info on the swap are point me in the right direction.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Thanks for that info. It is a cable driven motor which is what I wanted since I already have the cable for the TPI setup in the truck now, which I know I will have to swap it out.
Can u give me any more info on the swap are point me in the right direction.
I would use a set of the Dirty Dingo adjustable mounts, they provide a lot of flexibility. I think CPP is offer a set of those now, but I haven't used them. The 2010+ Camaro SS factory manifolds work great (Doug Thorley headers are nice, as well as are others). I'm not sure if the factory a/c will work because of the frame. If not, Holley sells a nice factory looking bracket that raise it up top. Since you already have fuel injection, I think you're swap will be less painful than most, since most of it should cross over. If you have an specific questions, let me know. Also, you can check out my 68 S/C build thread in my signature. There's a lot of photos and information. Cheers!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Custom 68

Andy, its really not that much different than any other motor install. It will fit, you may need to do some trimming on the frame rails to make it all fit. But that will be minimal. The AC can be a bit tight. I got mine in and it sits between the rail on the passenger side. It is tight but I can get it in and out and works great. Keep in mind I built my own mounts so my motor is not in he same position as anybody elses, so what works for me and other will be different than yours.
good luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: I bought a LSX motor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I would use a set of the Dirty Dingo adjustable mounts, they provide a lot of flexibility. I think CPP is offer a set of those now, but I haven't used them. The 2010+ Camaro SS factory manifolds work great (Doug Thorley headers are nice, as well as are others). I'm not sure if the factory a/c will work because of the frame. If not, Holley sells a nice factory looking bracket that raise it up top. Since you already have fuel injection, I think you're swap will be less painful than most, since most of it should cross over. If you have an specific questions, let me know. Also, you can check out my 68 S/C build thread in my signature. There's a lot of photos and information. Cheers!
Thanks I would like the AC up top for sure and not have to worry about the frame issues. Do u have a link to it.
Does it change the belt stuff are is it just a matter of swapping it to the top and re routing the belt.
Dave I want to try and not have to notch the frame if at all possible.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
Custom 68

I will post pictures this weekend my notch is more like a small grind area around the exhaust manifold ends. I didnt notch for my AC but it is tight. but yes I understand if you dont have to that is great.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Zane M

Congrats! I am envious.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

Well I'm going to have Shon do the install I think. We talked about it the other day and he has done several already. Hope we can work it out and get it in by the end of the year.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #22
ls1nova71

Moving the compressor to the top requires a special nracket and longer belt. If you go with a Kwik Performance bracket, it also requires an F body tensioner. Not sure about Holley or Dirty Dingos. You may also have to get a new compressor,depending on what you have now. The one that came with the 6.0 won't work up top, but if you have the Gm "pancake" type compressor which would have been on a TPI engine, they make brackets for them as we'll.
Posted via Mobile Device

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #23
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Moving the compressor to the top requires a special nracket and longer belt. If you go with a Kwik Performance bracket, it also requires an F body tensioner. Not sure about Holley or Dirty Dingos. You may also have to get a new compressor,depending on what you have now. The one that came with the 6.0 won't work up top, but if you have the Gm "pancake" type compressor which would have been on a TPI engine, they make brackets for them as we'll.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have the v belt sanderson. I bought it and the brackets from VA.
I would have to see if I could put the other pulley on it and buy the bracket for it. Then I could keep all the lines as they are.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club