The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Duh...yeah...I forgot 80 is what I use for grinding welds

Must have been late???

Yeah, think we ended up going to 600 right before spraying sealer then no touching between that and basecoat/clear.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Todays progress. I got the truck turned around for better access to the front left side. The fender was warped a bit around the wheel arch and pulled inward on the back side. Kind of annoying, but I've seen this on many trucks, which makes me think it has something to do with stresses and memory in the steel during forming.

Anyway, I thought it was excessive. This is with the ruler flat against the rocker.

I borrowed my neighbors port-a-power and made a wedge shaped block to fit the bottom corner, then cut a 2x4 to push against the kick panel vent box and hold the wedge down. Put the port-a-power against the frame and pumped it up. The first try helped, but most of the warp (for lack of a better term) came back. I tried again, pushed out a bit more, then used a hammer along the bottom of the panel to try and relieve some stress. That almost did it, but I thought it could be better. I pushed it out a 3rd time, a bit further yet, probably 1/2" past where it needed to be, then let it set for about 30 minutes while I did some sanding.

That did the trick, exactly where I wanted it.

The hood brace I added has done the trick also. I just had some cardboard stuffed in there for now until I buy some proper pads. I noticed today that it was almost perfectly flat now. The dip was around the 24" mark on the ruler.

I mentioned I did some sanding right? Because you never know, I might get to do other things at some point than sand. In case you missed it though I sanded some more.

Still have to do behind the door, top edge of the windshield, middle of the cowl and the driver rocker. Then filling, sanding and more primer. I might be able to get some paint spraying lessons from my neighbor. He's just a little ahead of me on his hot rod and will be spraying this month. I just asked him to let me know when so I can watch.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice work on that fender...and the hood came out well also!

Keep up the good work!

Did you ever watch overhaulin? Ever make you mad to think they got the car done in less than a week
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
nuke1

Great job!!!! Honestly, if I win the lottery on Friday, I will come spray your truck for you, would love to help a brother out, trust me, other than that the truck is really progressing, as a re you, you knowledge has come along way since the start. proud of you. That is why I love this board. super helpful. As for the sanding thing it is going great. If you are SURE that the truck is strait and nice how you want it, i usually wet sand in 500 which equals a 800 dryish sand jod. But when doing a full on show car, wet sand anywhere from 800 to 1200, lays super flat, but make sure that there is not a single imperfection there, it will show up!!!! Later.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks James. I appreciate it. I'm not looking for a show quality job. I know there are too many imperfections and I don't have the patience to correct them. My idea of "good enough" has changed a bit though and overall, I think it will come out pretty straight and flat. We'll see after I start the next round of sanding.

BTW, for the hell of it, I looked up a flight and I can get you here for about $650. I think it would be worth every penny.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-09-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Small update, Finished the first round of sanding and filled the low spots with metal glaze. I'm not sure I'll get back out there tonight (probably not), but I just need to knock the glaze down and re-primer the front driver quarter and top of the cab. Then another spray of guide coat and start all over again, hopefully with flatter results.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Steve-W

what a discipline and patience..respect!
keep up the good work and I think I speak for all the followers if I say we're all rooting for ya
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
what a discipline and patience..respect!
keep up the good work and I think I speak for all the followers if I say we're all rooting for ya
I appreciate that, really. I'm sure everyone wants me to go for the gold and do it all myself. Who knows, we'll see, no promises. I'll just keep taking little steps and maybe one of these days, I'll turn around and find it all done.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I appreciate that, really. I'm sure everyone wants me to go for the gold and do it all myself. Who knows, we'll see, no promises. I'll just keep taking little steps and maybe one of these days, I'll turn around and find it all done.
go for the gold...get back out in the garage j/k. I am impressed that you're making good progress on it almost if not every day!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
67_ShortFleet

Looks good! I'm going to door door skins soon. Subscribed.

My philosophy on tires is the same as cigarettes. "smoke them if you got them"

HAPPILY DIVORCED!
67_ShortFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I am impressed that you're making good progress on it almost if not every day!!!
Not every day, but as much as my schedule allows and wife will tolerate.

Had to drive up to Minneapolis this morning to bring my oldest home for a week of sitting on her butt resting. College freshman and a good student and active social life. She said she was going to sleep for 3 days.

Once we got back I headed out to the garage and got my metal glaze sanded down. I wiped the dust off and since we are have a very windy day, I opened the garage door and the man door and started blowing as much dust loose as possible. The garage is covered top to bottom, side to side, in and out with primer/putty dust.

I just sprayed some wax/grease remover on it, wiped it down and letting it dry off before the next layer of primer goes on. I'm going to spray it kind of heavy in a few areas because I think I'm going to need it. By tonight I should be right back to where I was on 2/5/2011, post 384.

Hopefully with better results this time. Should just be spot repairs after this round of sanding though. Pics later.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-12-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
VA72C10
VA72C10

I think you've been doing good one it. (Not that my opinion is worth much )

Every time you prime it and sand it's just going to make the paint job that much better.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I think you've been doing good one it. (Not that my opinion is worth much )

Every time you prime it and sand it's just going to make the paint job that much better.
And that much later
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got 2 coats of primer on, with a couple extra coats in the known low spots. I hope it's enough to block out good this next time. I have to work tomorrow and get some things done with the wife, so I'm not sure when I'll get back on my sanding block again. Probably in a couple days.

One picture, probably 8 hours of work...
Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
VA72C10
VA72C10

Only one pic? Hope this next round comes out how you want. I have a feeling you're in the home stretch now.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I had a short work day today, so I got some garage time. I started by cleaning up my work bench a bit. I was struggling to find space to mix primer and clean the gun, etc.

But while I was doing that, I was letting the guide coat set up.

Started sanding the hood and top of the cab. It's going alright, not perfect, but much better. I think I'll just have some spots to fix and it'll be good to go.

This is the biggest low spot so far. I also had one small spot on the top front corner of the cab. Easy fix.

The first 2k primer I used was from transtar and was recommended by a local body shop as what they normally use. Not having any other experience, I went with it and was not happy with how it sanded. I had also used SEM guide coat, which seemed very heavy to me, not just how I sprayed it, but it just seemed thick and spattery, which also made sanding harder.

This time I used the Summit 2k primer and a duplicolor guide coat (also from summit) and what a world of difference. The primer was thicker and I had some trouble spraying it with my 1.8 tip gun, but it was filling better. I kept it thick when I was spot spraying, then added some more reducer for whole panel spraying and it was fine. The duplicolor guidecoat is much lighter and almost like spraying dust.

This combination was much easier to sand. Can't even compare the 2. The transtar would clog up the paper in a few strokes, faster if you hit the epoxy. I was constantly clearing it or replacing it. The summit sands great and I had no problems with clogging the paper. I would blow it off with air sometimes, but I did not have to replace it once during the sanding I did today.

Transtar= bad, summit= much better. I can't say its great because I haven't used anything else, but it worked great for me and was about half the cost of the transtar. I saved me money in paper also, which I also got from summit in rolls, and has been working good.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Good info on your experience!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:07 AM   #18
nuke1

looking good!!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
xludan

What brand epoxy primer did you go with? Did you have any problems with the recoat window before you shot the 2k primer? (i.e. did you have to scuff up the epoxy primer before you shot the 2k?)
Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
looking good!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xludan View Post
What brand epoxy primer did you go with? Did you have any problems with the recoat window before you shot the 2k primer? (i.e. did you have to scuff up the epoxy primer before you shot the 2k?)
The epoxy primer was martin Sr crossfire CP400 I think. I did not scuff it before the 2k primer, I honestly didn't really think about it. I probably made other mistakes along the way too. The body shop said it didn't matter what I used under the 2k I got from them. One thing I did do was use brake cleaner (didn't have the standard wax and grease remover then) to wipe everything down before the 2k primer and that stuff will basically wipe it off if you use too much for too long. It wasn't the smoothest surface either because I don't think my gun was set up right when I sprayed the epoxy, is seemed almost textured to me.

I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, but that's how it goes sometimes. I think the length of time the primer had to dry/cure and shrink (if any) before it was worked on makes a difference also.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-15-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Been a few days, time for an update. Yesterday I spoke with the local paint rep for Martin Sr about their products. They supply the local Napa and he gave me some tips, etc. Then today I was at the local body shop and talked to them a bit more about what I was doing, what my plans for progression were, and got some more (and conflicting) advice. I'm also going to check the other part store in town that handles Dupont and Nason products.

I was doing more blocking today and during that, when the mind tends to wander, I was thinking about a pneumatic in-line sander and if it would make this job easier. The body shop was dubious and said I was 'cheating', but loaned me a sander anyway. All I can say is that it has pros and cons. They will be doing some painting next week and said I could watch if I was around and learn. My main worry is that I know my own habits of laying it on too heavy and getting runs and/or orange peel. I want to see how the gun should be spraying, how heavy the coats should be, what it should look like when sprayed properly, etc. I think it will help me a lot to see it in person and not a picture in a book or online, or from a DVD.

Pros: definitely faster, seemed to leave a pretty smooth finish using 180 grit, and it didn't load up too bad.

Cons: The sander was pretty hefty and not really a shoulder saver for the work like I thought it would be. I was pretty tight between the shoulder blades after a couple hours work. It's a total air hog and I had to stop and let the compressor catch up more than any other tool I have. Sandpaper did load up more than hand sanding. I was also having some problems with the sander bogging down, not sure why, drops of oil didn't help. Probably just a well worn tool.

Anywho, on to the progress and pics. Sanded some more, found a few lows and highs, but just a few. Overall, it is coming out pretty flat and I won't have too much rework to do.

Got most of the hood done.

About 90% of the driver door and bedside done.

Then turned the truck around and got most of the other door done.

Then got a start on the pass bedside. The lower portion had the most work done and I wanted to see how it came out. Pretty good, but needs a little more work done.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #22
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Been a few days, time for an update. Yesterday I spoke with the local paint rep for Martin Sr about their products. They supply the local Napa and he gave me some tips, etc. Then today I was at the local body shop and talked to them a bit more about what I was doing, what my plans for progression were, and got some more (and conflicting) advice. I'm also going to check the other part store in town that handles Dupont and Nason products.

I was doing more blocking today and during that, when the mind tends to wander, I was thinking about a pneumatic in-line sander and if it would make this job easier. The body shop was dubious and said I was 'cheating', but loaned me a sander anyway. All I can say is that it has pros and cons. They will be doing some painting next week and said I could watch if I was around and learn. My main worry is that I know my own habits of laying it on too heavy and getting runs and/or orange peel. I want to see how the gun should be spraying, how heavy the coats should be, what it should look like when sprayed properly, etc. I think it will help me a lot to see it in person and not a picture in a book or online, or from a DVD.

Pros: definitely faster, seemed to leave a pretty smooth finish using 180 grit, and it didn't load up too bad.

Cons: The sander was pretty hefty and not really a shoulder saver for the work like I thought it would be. I was pretty tight between the shoulder blades after a couple hours work. It's a total air hog and I had to stop and let the compressor catch up more than any other tool I have. Sandpaper did load up more than hand sanding. I was also having some problems with the sander bogging down, not sure why, drops of oil didn't help. Probably just a well worn tool.

Anywho, on to the progress and pics. Sanded some more, found a few lows and highs, but just a few. Overall, it is coming out pretty flat and I won't have too much rework to do.

Got most of the hood done.

About 90% of the driver door and bedside done.

Then turned the truck around and got most of the other door done.

Then got a start on the pass bedside. The lower portion had the most work done and I wanted to see how it came out. Pretty good, but needs a little more work done.
the whole job on the sanding is looking great ,,learning from you at this time ,,,I also am at the point of starting to do some more work on the side of the bed on my truck,,,thanks for the pics,,doing good
Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking really good! Paint should lay down super slick!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #24
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally got a couple hours out in the garage to sand some more. Yippee! Finished most of the pass side bed and door, then started the tailgate again. It might need just a bit more touch up work, but the bedside and door are looking good. Hopefully I'll finish this stage of sanding this weekend. There are just a handful of small low spots to fix so far. I think I'll do a thin coat of primer to fill the sanding scratches then move on to the finer grit.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #25
67_ShortFleet

Finally got a couple hours out in the garage to sand some more. Yippee! Finished most of the pass side bed and door, then started the tailgate again. It might need just a bit more touch up work, but the bedside and door are looking good. Hopefully I'll finish this stage of sanding this weekend. There are just a handful of small low spots to fix so far. I think I'll do a thin coat of primer to fill the sanding scratches then move on to the finer grit.

Looks great. Hang it there you are almost there!

My philosophy on tires is the same as cigarettes. "smoke them if you got them"

HAPPILY DIVORCED!

Last edited by 67_ShortFleet; 03-24-2011 at 11:31 PM.
67_ShortFleet is offline   Reply With Quote