The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #126
Johns 66

Re: 1966 C-10 build

Looks really good Scott...The bike rack is pretty cool idea...I like how you did the tie downs on the rail. Your bed wood looks awesome!!!
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #127
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Looks really good Scott...The bike rack is pretty cool idea...I like how you did the tie downs on the rail. Your bed wood looks awesome!!!

Thanks John,

The bedwood is nothing special just the pine from classic parts. color is Minwax Puritan pine, finish is 6 coats of minwax Pro spar urethane, sanded between each coat. I know it may not last forever if left in the elements every day but then again. That's not gonna happen. After using these same products on most of the homes I have built over the last 30 years I trust them to hold up better than most in these conditions. The bike rack should be used as much as possible to get this old guy out and about.. besides the bikes look very cool in the bed..

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #128
kdad

Bike rack..

Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #129
roll_the_dice

Looks great Scott! I like the idea of the removable bike rack. I love riding bikes. I may have to incorporate something similar!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #130
Johns 66

Love the bikes in the back...looks really cool......
2019 GMC AT4
Old 05-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #131
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looks great Scott! I like the idea of the removable bike rack. I love riding bikes. I may have to incorporate something similar!
I welded a couple nuts to a plate and welded it to the front side of the bed. Nice and sturdy. Easy to tighten down or remove. I stopped at a gas station yesterday and two guys came over and liked the truck but they both loved the bike rack. Might need to market these. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #132
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Love the bikes in the back...looks really cool......
Thanks John. My Basman 346 always makes people stop and stare. Most ask where can I get a bike like that. The Netherlands of course. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #133
cwcarpenter98

The bike rack is sweet! You could probably also make it to where you can strap down all sorts of stuff

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 AM   #134
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
The bike rack is sweet! You could probably also make it to where you can strap down all sorts of stuff
Plans are in the works for a few other items.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 AM   #135
Grizz1963

Yup, Bike Rack works for me too,

Love the bikes.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #136
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
Plans are in the works for a few other items.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh...cant wait for these!!!
2019 GMC AT4
Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #137
blackbart63mule

Lookin good all around! You’ve done some nice work! How did you match the paint when you did the rocker repairs? Is that a factory paint? It’s a color we don’t see often, what color is it? Pic o my cruiser...
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #138
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbart63mule View Post
Lookin good all around! You’ve done some nice work! How did you match the paint when you did the rocker repairs? Is that a factory paint? It’s a color we don’t see often, what color is it? Pic o my cruiser...
Not paint it is primer. Lol. Kinda matches the old faded silver.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #139
kdad

Been a minute or two since we last checked in on the Double 6 build. In truth it's been pretty crazy around us. Had to move back to California to help with taking care of a couple of parents. Everyone knows you go back to California and its a different world for sure..

The 66' went with us to a show in Hollister Ca. that's when we figured out that the Drum brakes leave allot to be desired... (switching entire truck over to disc now) I actually laughed at one point when I had to stop suddenly and the brakes said "No thank you"... Oh well I am luck enough that my buddy had an entire front and rear brake set up for his 72' c10 that he just gave me... Including drop spindles and a brake booster... that will be next on the list of items just for the simple fact that I cant trust the brakes now and that's no way to live.. The other discovery we found is that the old junkyard motor the PO put in this truck is putting out a heave smoke screen on the left side. Looking at a new motor now... It never ends I tell you.. Oh well no new pics for today but real soon we will have a brake setup that we will show how we do it..

Last edited by kdad; 07-27-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #140
SCOTI

Quote:
Been a minute or two since we last checked in on the Double 6 build. In truth it's been pretty crazy around us. Had to move back to California to help with taking care of a couple of parents. Everyone knows you go back to California and its a different world for sure..
I bet it is.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #141
scoot_mcgrute

Hey man, I wanted to extend an invite for a cruise in that I am hosting through Northwest C10s and TMK Creamery in Canby on August 17th. I tried to send you a PM but it said your mailbox was full. Hit me up if you are interested!
Old 07-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #142
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot_mcgrute View Post
Hey man, I wanted to extend an invite for a cruise in that I am hosting through Northwest C10s and TMK Creamery in Canby on August 17th. I tried to send you a PM but it said your mailbox was full. Hit me up if you are interested!
Sorry about that.
Cleared up the mail box. Even more sorry that we are no
Longer in the area. we moved to be closer to our elderly parents.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #143
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Sorry about that.
Cleared up the mail box. Even more sorry that we are no
Longer in the area. we moved to be closer to our elderly parents.
No worries man!
Old 08-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #144
kdad

So the last time I drove the truck I was less than impressed with the drum brakes. Yes they worked fine. No they are nothing to write home about. My buddy gives me an entire disc brake setup. I am busy installing it at the moment. As all of the stuff I do it’s my way! I’m talking to my buddy whom was following me in his truck last time out when he mentions he would rather lead due to the smoke screen I’m dumping out of the left side exhaust pipe. Embarrassed but understanding I apologize for the smoke and make excuses for my junkyard motor. The wife says why don’t you fix it. Oh boy here we go I am thinking. @&*#$*&$#. Then I calm down and explain it’s just an old GM 305 that I wouldn’t lift a finger for. She laughs and says then what would you lift a finger for? I say a nice big block would get my attention of course. That’s right I am now looking for a new big block. All because my buddy says I put out a smoke screen. LOL. Oh well I will have the brakes to stop it now. Onward and upward.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #145
kdad

So I have a few questions for some of the veterans that may have done this before me.

1. What motor mounts to use for a big block motor?
2. is there enough room in the engine bay so that I wont be banging the firewall for clearance?
3. will this push the transmission back or forward and will it need a new mount?
4. Will the drive shaft need to be cut?
I have searched a few times and unfortunately the organization of our site here is a little lacking. Not one person has a definitive answer for these questions.

Yes I plan on putting a list together to answer these questions for future builders....

Old 08-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #146
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Probably the easiest is to use the '68-'71 engine mount brackets and mounts. In fact everything for the '68-'71 will work in a '63-'66. You may need to trim the top flange of the frame for manifold/header clearance. Here is a thread for some more info.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=551120

When I installed the 454 on my '66 Suburban in 1992, I used the '73+ clamshells and mounts but made my own brackets to accept the mounts. That way I got the engine exactly where I wanted it. Close to the firewall without having to modify the firewall.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #147
kdad

Great thread captain. Appreciate all the help.
The new front suspension is nearly complete. While I am at it the decision to go
Power steering is now a reality so a new box. Pump and lines are going on now. I had a power brake booster that was given to
Me but it’s not really for this truck. I know I could make it work but I am thinking forward to the new power plant and not wanting to skip on a big cam with no vacuum we decided to go power hydraulic. Pics coming soon of all this fun.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:55 PM   #148
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you need one of my PS adapter plate kits and the booster bracket with the hydroboost mounting plate let me know.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #149
kdad

Been a long and uphill battle to get these Disc brakes done.
The free master cylinder booster fit like $hit so we needed to get another one. The calipers and the rest all just bolted right on but in the process we are switching to 5 lug so that meant new rear axles. If you are going to have the axles out might as well put that Posi-traction unit in there. Change all the bearings and make it all correct...…...SHEEEEZ! this just never stops with this ol' girl..... So the old 6 lug wheels which have about 50 miles on them have to come off and need a new home. That leaves us with looking for a new wheel that will fit the ol'school hot rod look (no big wheels) and also use the existing tires we already have (50 miles on them)… After going through pages and pages of wheel and tire threads here on the forum I noticed a certain pattern. When someone starts a wheel and tire thread (they are asking for what will fit) Most people show a pic of their truck and say "here's mine" no specs given. then 5 guys all chime in about how great it looks and ask the same thing.. What size? what brand?. It takes an act of the good lord to get a response from the poster to say "there blah blah on blah blah" And then 10 posts later its the same except the next guy says that he used blah blah but instead he used this and that and then he is lifted with this and his buddies grandmas uncles cousin used this and its on a corvette and here's a pic.... Not complaining because its very entertaining but really it makes these threads long and virtually useless. Much like the dribble I am spewing out now....LOL Oh well we are nearing the end of the new to me Drop spindles, CPP Disc brake, New rear axles /bearings and seals, Auburn Posi traction, Front springs, Tie rods, Upper "A" arms, upper and lower Ball joints, Control arm shafts and bushings, Custom Brake lines, CPP Power steering box, Captain Fab PS mount, CPP Hydra booster W/ master cylinder /proportioning valve, New wheel install. PHEW! that's a load I tell you..... I will upload a bunch of pictures soon. Fingers crossed that the wheels and tires fit.... Measured 20 times and laid it out but might have made it a lil bit too close, we shall see soon enough. Cutting wheel and hammer are in the wings warmed up just in case... Should have her all wrapped up this weekend and ready for an alignment next week, Then its off for a lil pin striping and some door art. Only two weeks left till the C10 intervention in Auburn California, so we need a few things to go right or we will be going without "Ol'Skool" C-ya

Old 08-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #150
roll_the_dice

Glad you got it sorted out. I know what you mean...someone asks a question...then they say.."nevermind I figured it out", but never comes back to say what they actually used or did! Very frustrating!!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote