The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #151
dew468

Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetside - NZ Build

I'll see if I can find some pics, but mine are all thru the stock rollers and adjustment lever. works great and all original. I used the stock cables from original rear and put them on the 10 bolt. very simple to do.
dew468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 AM   #152
QBRacing

So while I wait for the big order to arrive (early April Ive been told) I decided to do some more wiring. Ive installed the key and the fuel pump relay and today I hooked up some power and earths to the ECU.

When I saw the LED (in place of the fuel pump kick on) when I turned the key to test a circuit I suddenly thought .... the ECU is alive and priming the fuel line.

I instantly went and got my laptop, forgot what I was wiring, and tested the HPTuners software. And IT FOUND MY ECU and read from it. SAWEET.

Now I just need to by a licence to program .... Video can be found on My Youtube Channel.

Also received the final part of the Flatout Engineering C4 front install. I bought some of Dons swaybar links which he shipped direct to me (after the forwarder lost the first set). If you are considering doing a C4 install, I honestly recommend Don, he has been great to deal with given that I am in New Zealand and he has made it so simple I just dont know why people still want to use nova/camaro cuts....
Attached Images

QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #153
58 pache

Great build.
You do a fantastic job with your videos
I just got my donor 85 vette, And will be tearing it down soon. ( once i get all the spiders out of it)

Cheers mate!
58 pache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:28 AM   #154
QBRacing

Ok. Got some more completed today.

Finished off the engine mount setup to mate the Holden LS1 engine on the Flatout Engineering C4 Corvette subframe in the 59 Apache. Now to try and locate some headers that will work with all that.

Dented the power steering line (the engine slipped while hoisting it out) so now i will need to fix those as well.

Mounted the brackets to secure the hard brakelines to the chassis.

As always here is another Update Video on my Youtube Channel.
Attached Images

Last edited by QBRacing; 03-11-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 AM   #155
daveshilling

Looking great! Don definitely is a cool guy, he will make sure to resolve any issue that comes up for sure.

Now you've got me thinking about adding the sway bar!
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #156
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBRacing View Post
...Also received the final part of the Flatout Engineering C4 front install. I bought some of Dons swaybar links which he shipped direct to me ....
I don't know how I missed this detail until now but I have questions:

I already have FlatOut's IFS installed in my '55 and it didn't come with these swayer links.

Can't really tell from the pic's but it looks like it mount to the lower A arm, is that right? What sway bar does this use? The stock Corvette C4 bar or something else?

Any/all advice on it would be very helpful. Great looking project so far!!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:26 AM   #157
QBRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I already have FlatOut's IFS installed in my '55 and it didn't come with these swayer links.

Can't really tell from the pic's but it looks like it mount to the lower A arm, is that right? What sway bar does this use? The stock Corvette C4 bar or something else?

Any/all advice on it would be very helpful. Great looking project so far!!
Dan
The swaybar link kit is NOT included in the IFS front end kit Flatout Engineering sells. I only found out after talking to Don about early vs late hubs and caliper bolt sizes.

Yes they bolt through the hole in the front of the lower arms (You need to drill out the early arms but thats easy enough).

Yes its a factory C4 Corvette swaybar with new eurothane bushes, I believe you can get an extension bracket kit so you wont need to notch the chassis wing or run a packer. (refer my video a few posts ago)

Q
Old 03-20-2019, 04:03 AM   #158
Nut Case

Looking good strong work

Does the sway bar interfere with the tire on tight turns?

Keep on keepin on

Nuttz
Old 03-22-2019, 01:38 AM   #159
Blown58

I just wanted to say thank you for all the detailed pics and videos of your truck. Soon I will be building my 1958 Apache and will be doing similar modifications. Keep up the great work....
Blown58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #160
QBRacing

Nutcase - unsure on clearance yet as the front rims I have are from a BMW (5x120 not 5x120.65) and are a strange offset. Im down the line for a few weeks starting tomorrow for training so will drop the Nova rims on there when I get back to check as I want a 20*8 0p on there (Novas are 18s) but that should give me an idea.

In the mean time here is my LATEST VIDEO CLIP showing I am god and that I can wire anything ... "Insert evil laugh here" .....

Basically the LS1 transplant is ALIVE an just in time.

Q
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #161
QBRacing

@Dan in Pasadena
first photo showing max turn on my temp BMW rim. Has a bout 20-25 mm clearance however tyre well under guard so with correct offset would be more

While waiting for the next shipment to arrive a decided to start on the cooling. The factory radiator I took from my donor car (2000 VT Commodore) will fit with minimal mods. All I need to do is chop out the c rail where the factory radiator mounts to allow it to sit further forwards and increase the hole size to ensure max airflow hits the fins. The a/c condenser also fits a treat between the slam panel and the grill too.

now to get to cutting...
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #162
QBRacing

I decided to make a quick video for my channel about how I made my a condenser and radiator brackets.

Keep in mind that the both are from a 2000 Holden Commodore so replacement parts are easy to find and match the engine going into it. Looks like it should work a treat.

Q
Old 04-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #163
QBRacing

so I stated playing around with the steering column the other day. here I was thinking there was very little support so I went looking and found this odd part in my box of goodies.

do you know how annoying it is to have to remove all the wiring you have done to fit it. grrr.

while I was at it I relocated the ls1 ecu into the engine bay.

good news is that my parts are in nz finally ... now I just have to wait for customs
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2019, 05:05 AM   #164
QBRacing

I got goodies today ... its just like Christmas time. I cant wait to get in and stat installing some of it.
I made a short unboxing (not) video of all the goodies but here are some of them....
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #165
58 pache

Those are some nice goodies!
Thank you for all the pics and videos of your progress.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:38 AM   #166
QBRacing

just a quick update with how things have gone since I got my bag of goodies last month (here is thevideo link incase you cant be bothered reading)...

I have installed the vintage air setup but had to remove it so I can paint the firewall (next month) but at least its all test fitted and I know were stuff goes later.

I have installed the Dakota Digital dash and controller and I have even managed to setup a basic handbrake switch on the factory handbrake.

Ive installed the OBDI plug from the LS1 transplant

I installed and removed and returned the electric wiper kit I bought as it was for the wrong one. forgot I have a 57 firewall/cab not a 58-59. So now im trying to figure out which wiper replacement I need.

More goodies should be arriving next week (TEA heads, Speedtech headers, and my replacement throttlebody.

Thats it for now
Q
Old 05-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #167
58 pache

Some nice progress, And thanks for the video.
I love the gauges you got.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #168
QBRacing

No video this time but here are some pics of the completed radiator and AC condenser setup.

For the radiator I basically bent up a piece of plate, drilled and tapped the radiator support mounts and joined the two. This formed the lower plates for the radiator to sit on. Up top I basically made a couple of C plates which I bolted to the front slam panel.

Think I covered the AC but if not... I basically welded a couple of hollow tubes to the front of the rad mounts and made a couple of temporary plates up top.

First time I fitted it all up together today and I was quite surprised at how clean it all looks.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2019, 04:34 AM   #169
QBRacing

Its VIDEO TIME....

I start by showing the above radiator setup before moving into the three things I accomplished today..

1) I final mounted the 84-87 C4 Corvette front swaybar mounts with the use of the Flat Out Engineering adapter kit. I basically made a 20mm box spacer from the lower chassis and put in a couple of rush tubes. With the +20 BMW rims the tyre just touches the swaybar at full lock. Once I go to a 0 offset this should leave 20mm clearance.... Choice.

2) I show the box of wizardry a friend of mine *NED made. With a 3 wire hookup (power, earth and signal) I can control the factory Commodore power/eco switch and ECU.

3) I started the mounting of the Commodore accelerator pedal. Looks like it should work a treat and allow everything engine and cooling related to be from the VT I got he engine from.

I also pulled apart the wiper motor the other day and that was a mess. Basically the power wire was just wrapped around the terminal and loose and there was only 1 screw holding the switch in so it had moved and was always on. Think I have fixed it but thats a job for tomorrow.

Q
Old 05-31-2019, 01:10 AM   #170
QBRacing

well I got a call today from my importer advising my next boxes were ready to collect.

1 big box from "Speed Engineering" containing my 1 7/8" to 3" stainless long tube headers.
2 boxes from TEA containing my 5.3L - 862 stage 2 heads.
1 small box from Holley containing a throttle body.

I knew they were close but on the Friday before a long weekend .... score
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2019, 02:23 AM   #171
QBRacing

I know I only updated the other day but I got bored today and simply cant wait another 8 days for the certifier to come and check my engine and gearbox mounts so I decided to play dressups.

Once I was done I made Yet Another Video showing it all and explaining why ....

Couple of pics below as well.

Basically I removed the factory intake and sat the Edelbrock Super Victor and fuel rails, Holley efi throttle body and Edelbrock valve covers on.

Cant wait to do this for real now....
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #172
QBRacing

Video Update Time ... Well there isn't much to update really other than the engine is out and I have started the teardown and rebuild. I have struck an issue in that I cant for the life of me get the pulley bolt off. I've tried pry bars and extensions but no joy.

I ended up making a special tool that I've bolted onto the end of the crank (in place of the flywheel) (shown in video). This means no screw driver or trying to ratchet a single bolt on the flywheel and I might be able to get enough pressure to crack the nut.

Ive also started the 1 piece window conversion. I had previously started the grimms/blackdiesel conversion found on the site but ended up going with the specialty windows 1 piece electric setup anyways. just need to get in and mount the rails and finish it really.

With the engine and trans out I plan on finishing the firewall and engine mounts / brackets and then everything is ready to g back in for the last time once I sort the engine.

Cheers
Q
Old 07-10-2019, 03:45 AM   #173
QBRacing

Update number 7698.....

I decided to partially rewire the main truck loom and ECU loom. The main truck loom now comes out a separate grommet and runs in separate conduits down the chassis rail to the front and rear. The ECU exits down near the floor board and step and will almost completely hide the ecu loom from the firewall once installed.

I finally got the crank pulley bolt out with the help of my brother-in-law only to find out that the harmoonic balance pulleys I have wont work on the LS. I ended up buying one of amazon and 7 days later it arrive in NZ for half the price of what they cost in NZ. go figure.

Discovered that the cam bearing journals are a little worse for ware so will probably take the block to the engine shop and get them changed Hopefully the bottom end bearing are ok ....

I have all but completed the trunion upgrade. I the new shells are all fitted and I just need to go and buy some new pliers so I can install the c clips as I cant find my old one anywhere.

I have installed the electric motors in the doors and now just need to run the conduits to the cab and I can fit my hardboard window and test the movement.

Here is the latest video update covering the above and here are some images as well.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 AM   #174
QBRacing

What to do when it's raining and you've had a few days off... Rebuild the LS1 of course....

Factory rings & bearings on factory rods on factory crank reinstalled
Trickflow stage 3 cam installed on new bearings
Lifters soaked and installed and rockers fitted. need to redo 1 as its graunchy and I'm not happy
TEA stage 2.5 862 heads installed
Water pump installed
Valley cover painted and installed

missing the gaskets for the intake and need 1 new knock sensor so kind of hit a wall. so close

q
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #175
QBRacing

Couple more bits sorted today. basically waiting on Summit to see if they will supply another trunion. I thought it was the bearing but there is a sharp lip on the inside of the race ..... not likely to find one over here so if I have to ship back I guess I will... grrrr
Attached Images