The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #26
oldman3

Re: Project: Kechi AD S10 4.3 auto

Russ, lots of tips for others doing this, looks good...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #27
OutlawDrifter

I believe it "was" the same shade of blue as my GMC.

Ferrara Blue, Dupont code 93-3380

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #28
joedoh

thanks all!

jim I will keep trying different methods. I have made a crossmember, sectioned another few, even store bought a tube one, just to try different things. this one worked really well though!

marc I think yours ls darker, gmc got a special blue for the ADs, and a special green, both were darker. I think this is mariner blue.

no work today, temp dropped to the 30s and I didnt even brave it to put the new motor mounts on. well and beeps is out of school for spring break so we chased each other around the house and made a special dinner for mom.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #29
joedoh

after a week of muffin making, kid chasing, cold then agreeable, days, I plopped the motor right down on the mounts. worked out grrrreat! (the second picture is the motor mount with a bolt through it, can be hard to make out)

worked on the cab, got the windshield out and started the firewall mods.

should have the cab mounts on the frame tomorrow, I picked up the cab corners last week so I might do those first.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2019, 01:06 AM   #30
28TudorAZ

You're making great time. What is your timeline to finish?
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #31
joedoh

well I hope its driving around by easter. finished some time after that.

got the firewall side welded, still have to do the inside where the bottom welds are.

got the body mounts tacked together and on the frame

I used the forklift to turn it on its nose again, had to trim the reinforcement on the rear body and remove the shackles, then I plopped it on.

rolled it in, but had to roll it right back out because after unbolting the old heater a 20 lb squirrel nest fell out. a brown recluse nest was under the gas tank too, they all had there front legs up and their fangs showing. a little carb cleaner fixed that.

trans trim needs just a tiny more trim.

started laying out the pattern for the HVAC

valve cover is a 1/2 inch off the firewall, bolts dropped through the mounts (except the one shackle hole with a broken bolt. pretty happy I got it on before the rain tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #32
8man

You make it looks so easy! I know, practice makes perfect, but darn you move so fast.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #33
Brads49

Daaaannngggg looking good! Driving by Easter???? WOW I wish mine would be ready by then.
Brads49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #34
28TudorAZ

Ok...Easter wow....maybe I won't beat you.
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #35
oldman3

Russ, I always get doubles of your pics, any reason why...Jim P.S. moving right along and looks good...Jim
Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #36
joedoh

8man a lot of it is knowing what needs done before and what can wait. I dont spend a lot of time on extraneous stuff until its time to do extraneous stuff. It really helps to focus the work on what needs doing, not on stuff that wouldnt even matter if it was done three years later.

Brad, driving means moving, not say, glass or interior haha.

28tudor get after it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Russ, I always get doubles of your pics, any reason why...Jim P.S. moving right along and looks good...Jim

its because I am attaching them to my posts, I gave up on outside hosting, they always want to charge for "free" image hosting. so I attach them, but then I also copy the link and embed them in my text. that way they are in the flow of the post and not just lumped at the end, but since attaching them also posts them at the end, you get doubles. sorry!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #37
oldman3

Russ, nothing to be sorry about, it does make sense about the text and pic together...Jim
Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #38
joedoh

well, one step back, three steps forward. you say I got that wrong? not a chance, read on

I needed a solution to the cowl on this cab, the door was obviously windblown and REALLY dented the cowl as seen

the hinge plate is bent a little too, so I figured to make a template from the passenger side (for the correct angle) and flip it to get the jamb in the right spot. I planned to cut along the jamb, across the lead line, and at a point lower to peel the metal up enough to bang it flat. failing getting it flat, I knew bowtie bits sold that repair panel, but without the vent. so I ran by to look.

first, he has the 35 style taillights in stock again, I have wanted to use them on the last 3 trucks and they were completely out of stock everywhere. even online sellers showed them as available until you added them to cart. so I picked up a set for Kechi. I need to do an LED conversion, but I love the look.

I also picked up a core support while I was there, I was going to cut that GMC one I got at the swap meet but heck, might as well start with a chevy. and here was jeffs solution to by bent cowl

so while it LOOKS like I have to swap the s10 firewall chunk over that is welded in my current cab, its much easier done than said, AND this cab has a glovebox door AND this cab doesnt have rust in the windshield frame AND this cab has 3 hinges AND this cab has good hood hinges... so all I really need is some OEM 5 window glass because I have heard horror stories on making new glass fit

oh wait, remember that guy I cleaned out in salina a year ago? two sets of original corner glass.

so I am wondering what I will do with those days I was going to do rust repair. it needs some flat work on the floor but no problem there, and it has the same holes in the bottoms of the hinge pockets (firewall side) so no extra work there. maybe I will just go to the s10 salvage tomorrow and cut a new firewall chunk? maybe I will just design one from sheet, since I will be doing a few more.

anyway, pedal mounts tomorrow!
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #39
8man

What a deal!
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
Old 03-19-2019, 10:41 PM   #40
OutlawDrifter

You could fall in a pile of manure and come out smelling like roses!

Old 03-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #41
oldman3

Russ, no wonder I can't get lucky on deals, you took them all...Jim
Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #42
Matt_50

I think I need a big trailer and visit Kansas. Who knows what awesome stuff I'll come home with.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #43
Old57

Nice score on the cab. That'll really save some work. Jeff doesn't have the amount of used parts that he used to have, but I have bought some nice stuff from him at very reasonable prices.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #44
joedoh

its nice living in kansas for that reason, we almost moved to PA last year and the access to good parts that arent mostly rotted away was a small factor in the decision.

I built the pedal mount, tacked for now to make sure its right, but I cut two because I am sure its right. I kicked the brake pedal toward the driver a little more on this one.

visited wayne and got that cab/front clip. still undecided if I will use the clip from this truck on kechi, its not bad at all.

getting it up on the flatbed was... fun. made me wonder how I was going to get it off. in the recent past I would have let it sit for a few weeks but who knows what I will find in that time, so I tightened all the front clip bolts. its easier to break all the "through" bolts, the ones that arent threaded into a nutsert, by tightening than spend hours cutting or lubing and working. cut the column, got the hood off and positioned the truck to use the forklift.

this picture is a cab that ALMOST fell off the back of the truck

the frame only went to right behind the front cab mounts, and of course the cab bolts were rusted (stuck). I got the nuts off ok but everything was just sticking together. I beat the bolts till they moved up and out and gave a little shake to the cowl and... OOPS. the cab started leaning back and blessedly stopped right before going over center and falling off. it was actually pretty funny, the near miss, and I had to think which would be a better story, falling or not falling.

in other news, the thing I needed cash for, what made me sell the last one so fast, was a property with a nice shop and parking lot. that deal is almost completely dead, and its sad but not terminal haha. at least now I can order my cnc plasma table and bring those two nice blue 52s home.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #45
8man

Good for the truck. Sorry for the "deal". I think the story of the loose cab is better stopping where it did. Falling off would have made people cry.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #46
OutlawDrifter

Always frustrating when a deal falls through. I have to remind myself, that means it wasn't meant to be. Actually how I ended up with my Vortec Max.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #47
joedoh

thanks, yes we are still on the hunt

edit 3/25 well never say never, we tried a seventh time. pics of the shop in about 2 weeks.

Last edited by joedoh; 03-26-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #48
joedoh

ok so I had to pause to do a bunch of property signing things. the only details I can give right now is that its a huge shop on a huge property with a house as a bonus.

we have a large lot here at our current house, but the house is off the road more than others so there really isnt room for a backyard building. well there IS, but with utility setbacks and a good slope to the back yard it would have to go smack dab in the middle of the yard, and only about 25 feet from our back deck, which would end up as a driveway to the shop. my wife was ok with it, but I saw the long term implications. we could put it in the front, but that would need a drive to the backyard storage area and again, the utility setback plus the required property line setback meant we would lose our entire parking area in the front. and the third strike, we have fixed this property up a lot since buying, walls floors windows siding added a basement and 1000 sq ft, and have brought it in line with the property values in the area. so a new building, while convenient, would be a "sunk" cost, meaning it would not add anything significant to the current value, we would be building at a loss.

so when I found this place, only 2 miles away, same type of quiet street and large lots, only the neighborhood has a LOT of car guys with backyard shops. It was a distressed property, even more so after suffering a break in during the time we have been watching it, but all I really cared about was a) it had a BIG shop and a BIG parking area way off the road, and b) the total cost was a little more than building a shop at our current house. sign me up.

we made several offers (7 in fact) and when negotiations broke down (I wanted updated pictures after the break in, there were no inspections or walk through allowed) I told them to be happy with whatever they got and withdrew. They tried two more auctions, and didnt get within even 20% of our final offer, so I tried again and they accepted. well FIRST they attempted to get me to bid against the other bidders, and I said I would, at 80% of my last offer. meaning, if the other bidders stayed in the same price range, my bid would be a huge savings to me. They "got the jist", thought about it, and put me under contract the same day.

so the first three days of the week were a whirlwind, signing contracts, sending earnest money, lining up a title service and getting a closing date. They are looking at end of april, but since we dont need financing or inspections or appraisals or a hundred other things, I figure it might be done in two weeks. If they call monday and want to close I am ready. and excited.

Best thing, I saved almost enough to still buy the CNC table, almost. but not enough for a new plasma cutter to match, my current hypertherm is still more than enough for what I need, but the new ones interface with the CNC better. so maybe later this year.

Back to truck stuff!

I wanted seat belts and broke my T47 taking the floor bolts out. so I chopped the door jambs out so I could work on them again later. today was later. I chopped the bottom of the bolts off and tried again, and the bolts spun out.

but then I went after a seat and found a real honey, already reupholstered with leather and cloth, no real damage. $75 if I pulled it including the retracting belts that match. I put my T47 to good use again and yanked it.

found an oldie stuck on a tree in the same yard.

got my pedal mount finished up to check the fit and no surprise, it fits.

went by the new shop just to keep tabs on it and one of the neighbors has a funny looking dog.

so back to regular updates! I will need to take a break after closing to install a security system and cameras at the property, and some little fixes to get the house ready for power and water again.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #49
OutlawDrifter

Congrats Russ! Glad you finally got your hands on a big shop!

Old 03-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #50
Matt_50

Am I jealous? Yes!!

What gas pedal is that? Looks like a great fit.