The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #51
rockyrivermark

Re: Clear over polished grille

I am the original poster to this thread
For an update the permaclear worked very well. It still looked good after a year. I really wanted more of a bright finished so ended up buying a new tri plus grille 2 years ago
On another note the tri plus grille for great and looks fantastic. Of course it’s thinner material than the original.
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #52
66c10Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
Ill just throw my little knowledge on the subject which I think could be used in this application.

This exact goal has been highly desirable in the aftermarket wheel realm in modern cars and the aftermarket wheel demand. The problem is a lot of these wheels do not come with a good (or sometimes no) coating. So they look great but as soon as the elements hit them, the finish (polished surface) dulls quick. Sometimes the wheels them selves cost thousands each. People spending all that money are all having their wheels polished and then clear coated with a two stage automotive clear. Do not buy a cheap clear because it will have problems quickly.

I would look into other forums where they do a lot of custom wheels. Maybe (I hate to say it) one of the honda forums or something. That seems to be all the craze, wheels on those little cars bent side ways. Or the "off road truck" forums where the dudes put 12" lifts and huge wheels on their parking lot queen trucks. See what those guys are doing DIY.

I have a friend that several people have brought new aftermarket wheels to and the first thing they have him do is clean, prep and clear. It keeps the finish very nice much longer and you have a good clear coat buffer for scratches.

I used sherwin williams brand automotive clear 2 part and its held up great on my boat. Which BAKES in the sun. Wouldn't think twice about using it on some trim. Just remember you have to have a mechanical or chemical bond either way.
Some food for thought there for sure. I think the beauty thing about the Protectaclear is that it's easy to apply (foam brush after wet sanding)and it was holding up well for months after application. I'm sure you're clear 2 part is great however it seems like this product could be a great option and much simpler to apply.

Regardless, thanks for your input.

Check out my 66 C10 build here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546694

Look here, I also built a canoe: http://stevescedarstripcanoe.blogspot.com/
66c10Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #53
66c10Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
For an update the permaclear worked very well. It still looked good after a year. I really wanted more of a bright finished so ended up buying a new tri plus grille 2 years ago
On another note the tri plus grille for great and looks fantastic. Of course it’s thinner material than the original.
Mark
Awesome, thanks for the update Mark!

Check out my 66 C10 build here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546694

Look here, I also built a canoe: http://stevescedarstripcanoe.blogspot.com/
66c10Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #54
Mantruck

Might want to check out Eastwoods' 2K clear in a spray can. I have used their 2K and it sprays better than any spray can I have used. It is catalyzed by taking a button on the top of the cap and placing it on the bottom of the can to puncture the catalyst. I used on can of red 2k engine paint to do a house door in red for my wife. Word of warning - when you start getting low in the can it doesn't like to shoot pointing down.
FROM EASTWOOD:
Eastwood 2K High-Gloss Clear Aerosol allows you to paint with the durability and precision of a two-component coating without the paint gun! Formulated with Eastwood proprietary technology to provide a long-lasting and durable finish, while keeping its beautiful finish for years.
•2-Component Catalyzed Technology
•Two Chamber Design Aerosol
•Most Durable Aerosol Epoxy Primer Available
•Sprays Like a Paint Gun
•Approximate Coverage 5.4-8.1 SQ FT
•Max Temperature: Paint will handle up to 250-300 degrees without delamination, but color shift may occur, so it should not be used in a high heat setting

The innovative nozzle and valve technology, combined with its two internal chambers, ensure the right ratio is mixed every time. Sprays like a gun with a broader spray pattern than conventional aerosols and no mess to clean up. You'll achieve professional results from an easy-to-spray aerosol.
Mantruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #55
HO455
Post Whore

I would like to thank RockyRiverMark for his thread and continuing contributions to it. This sounds like just the ticket for the grille trim in my Burban.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #56
slikside

Sub'd

Great info here!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #57
vics stuff

That Everbright product looks like some good stuff.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #58
elorenzof

subscribed
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #59
Chevys4life

Subscribed!
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #60
Pearly72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
Mark

As per our conversation last week... got the Protectaclear from Amazon this morning: prepped and have the first coat on, waiting my hour to put the 2nd coat on. So far, gave it more sheen and its leveling out to a smooth surface. When I get this original grille installed to replace my other beat up one - I’ll post a pic. Thanks for your post.
Pearly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:16 AM   #61
Pearly72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly72 View Post
As per our conversation last week... got the Protectaclear from Amazon this morning: prepped and have the first coat on, waiting my hour to put the 2nd coat on. So far, gave it more sheen and its leveling out to a smooth surface. When I get this original grille installed to replace my other beat up one - I’ll post a pic. Thanks for your post.
Alright! Grille shell and insert are on the truck. What I've learned: If your grille is off, may consider spraying with a good clear coat. When it is on the truck, this is your best bet for ease of application and quality.

I purchased an outer grille shell for my 72 a couple of years ago from a young man that was taking apart his C10 and restoring it to have GMC badging/grille. I bought it and had my buddy knock out the 2 dings on it.

Easy off, sanding (it had some decent scratches) and polished it. I put this Protectaclear on it and it isn't bad... from 2' away (which is good). I can see some flaws /runs from the peaks of the reverse V on the 71/72 grille shell. They ran down to the valley and kind of clumped up. I used a foam brush and tried to keep it as light of a coat as I could... it was hard for me.

Installed it and here's the result from 10' away. It's not bad at all! Good thing is, it's easy to take off with Xylene if I want to redo it. Overall --- pleased. Thanks Rockyrivermark!!!!!

-Garrett
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #62
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly72 View Post
Alright! Grille shell and insert are on the truck. What I've learned: If your grille is off, may consider spraying with a good clear coat. When it is on the truck, this is your best bet for ease of application and quality.

I purchased an outer grille shell for my 72 a couple of years ago from a young man that was taking apart his C10 and restoring it to have GMC badging/grille. I bought it and had my buddy knock out the 2 dings on it.

Easy off, sanding (it had some decent scratches) and polished it. I put this Protectaclear on it and it isn't bad... from 2' away (which is good). I can see some flaws /runs from the peaks of the reverse V on the 71/72 grille shell. They ran down to the valley and kind of clumped up. I used a foam brush and tried to keep it as light of a coat as I could... it was hard for me.

Installed it and here's the result from 10' away. It's not bad at all! Good thing is, it's easy to take off with Xylene if I want to redo it. Overall --- pleased. Thanks Rockyrivermark!!!!!

-Garrett
all around Great looking Truck.....thanks for the info
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #63
Pearly72

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
all around Great looking Truck.....thanks for the info
Thank you!