The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
dbenamati

Angry My luck is certainly not getting better...

Not a question but just had to vent. Just got my truck back from the garage from an anual inspection last week. Over $700.00 for all new wheel cylinders , bearings, ball joints and brake lines. Had to have it done since I don't have the tools or the time to do it. I had it back for two days and noticed my choke cable was very lose. Opened the hood and removed the air filter to notice my screw on plastic choke kit was missing, just flew off and the cable was swinging in the breeze. I had a spare in the toolbox so I started taking out the screws. One sprung out and couldnt find it any where. I just put the new plastic piece on and went about business as usual. Later that day I went to the sitters to pick up my son and heard a loud clanging noise from under the hood and just pulled the truck right into the garage. I knew what happend. That little screw went down the carb! Later that night, went to the store and got new manafold gaskets and proceded to take the carb and manifold cover off. Found the screw at the edge of the manifold as I was taking it off. It was beat to the thickness of a dime. Put everything back together and even changed the valve cover gasket to check the springs and overhead valve (it's an I-6 "250"). Nothing out of place but as I turned the truck on, clanging still there. Truck idles fine and no more noticable exhaust than usaual. I got the whole screw but the neighbor who was listining says I have a cracked piston. I don't usally cus alot but said a few choice words beginning with F. Dont have the money to put it back into the garage at $70 an hour and don't really have the know how for detailed engine work. I have a manual that covers GM trucks from 67-87 but it doesnt show much with 6 cylinders. I guess it will just sit in the garage till I can save more money or I decide to take it on my self. Sorry guys, just needed to vent. It took me 2 years of body work myself to get it back on the road and am just frustrated.

Thanks, Dave
Old 05-25-2003, 11:06 AM   #2
68 Suburban

Dave, sorry to hear about your problem. What year truck is it? I might have the factory overhaul manual that I could scan some of the engine pages for you.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
casey

I say just pick up another motor and swap it, thats easier than rebuilding if you don't have the know how, then you could keep the old motor and practice on it, what seems to be bad luck can turn into a good experience, depending on how you look at it, good luck
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
dmurphy68

Dave spend 14 bucks and buy a hynes book it give detailed instructions on how to rebuild motors. it is stright forword. I have built about 200 motors and It is fairly easy just take your time and follow directions. I know that is hard for us MEN to do.
Darren

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms
- Thomas Jefferson

Later Darren
http://www.myspace.com/dmurphy68
dmurphy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
dbenamati

Thanks for the information

Yes, I am going to spring for the Haynes manual. I have the Chilton right now but as I said, 6 cylinders are an afterthought in that book. I will look for the Haynes. It is a 67 250 I-6. Bare bones but If I can keep it, I will for now. I don't have the tools or lift or even space to do an engine swap. One good piece of news though, a guy who my pap knows stopped by today and thinks it maybe just bent pushrods. I'll look at it tomarrow. If you have any info 68, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks< Dave
Old 05-25-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Dave, I feel your pain on no space or tools for this kind of work, but you might be suprised how easy an angine swap is. I've never jerked on an inline, but it MUST be easier than a small block.
We are talking a few wires, a couple motor mounts, a couple lines and a rented hoist.
Plus you have us here to help you get it ready. I'm willing to bet you could find some one on here with a spare inline within 250 miles of you and probably dirt cheap too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
68 Suburban

Here is a 6 cylinder that you might be aboe to get

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=54130
Old 05-25-2003, 11:16 PM   #8
Class of 69

Check on the push rods first. I'm thinking that since you found the screw in the intake manifold, it didn't make it to the piston. Hopefuuly it didn't bend the intake valve too, but you would get a popping noise from the carb ( compression coming back out) if it was. Good Luck!! It's alway's a bummer to hear of other's troubles.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:38 AM   #9
68 Suburban

Maybe your luck is going to get better. Here is a 250 6 cylinder in Penn. for $125!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6783
Old 05-27-2003, 04:47 AM   #10
Seke69
Space Cadet

there's probably one closer to you... but on saturday, I just picked the other I6 (250) that came with the truck, and I think I'm gonna just tear one of 'em apart to see what lives inside. so I have two if maybe you need something...(I'm in Minnesota).

NOTE: I'm not the brightest guy about this kind of stuff so... yeah.
Seke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:57 AM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

in a couple of weeks im going to begin the resto on my 1976. My son and i have agreed that we do not want to use the 250I6 thats in there. If you want PM me and illmake ya a good deal on the whole good running motor

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote