The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
dukcaln

how much cfm & edelbrock vs Holley carb

So not to get in a long debate, I just want to know what cfm carb to use on the new motor going in the truck and to either stick with a edelbrock or go Holley.

I have a 1406 edelbrock on the old motor but this newer motor has a slightly different cam and better heads, more compression... It will be a daily driver with a once in a long while 1/4 run......here are the specs.

summit racing built block 4 bolt main, 280ish duration cam, 10.5 comp. heads are 202-160 valves. torker manifold mated to a tci street fighter turbo 400 trans with a stall to match the cam

so can I run a 600cfm 1406 edelbrock I have on the broke motor or should I run a larger 750cfm carb.

Or can i change the jets in the 1406 to achieve more cfm

I have a 750 cfm edelbrock and a holley 750cfm available to me right now. Just have to decide what to do so the guy is holding them for me until tomorrow. Both are used but in great working condition and priced the same. $140. Both are polished! I was thinking the edelbrock just because all my linkage and all will line up, but not set on it.

Last edited by dukcaln; 11-13-2012 at 04:46 PM.
dukcaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: how much cfm & edelbrock vs Holley carb

On a DD I would ditch the Torker and use a dual plane like a Performer RPM (non air-gap). The single plane of the Torker will kill your low end torque.

The 670cfm Holley Street Avenger would be a good step up from the Edelbrock carb. Bolt that on a Perfromer RPM (non-air gap) and you will have a winner. The Perfromer RPM will give you the best of both worlds for street/strip driveability.

I am using an RPM airgap with a Holley 3310 750cfm carb. My engine sees a lot of pulls over 6,500 where I could actually use a single plane manifold. But the dual plane helps tame it down a tad for the street.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 11-13-2012 at 04:37 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
dukcaln

actually, I am going to use my dual plane manifold off the other motor I have. should have mentioned that..... so is a 600fm too small
Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I am pretty biased towards Holley carbs. I have used Edlebrock/AFB carbs in the past. Only to go right back to using Holley carbs. So you couldn't give me an Edelbrock.

The 600 cfm carb you have will be just fine on that engine. But if you want to step up to a little more cfm... the 670 Avenger would be my recommendation. A nice new carb out of the box. Used carbs are a crapshhot. I stopped buying used carbs and ignition components a long time ago. Saved me a lot of heartache over the years.

Unless you're gonna rev that SBC to make power... a 750cfm carb will prolly be too much.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
dukcaln

its a torker II manifold and my buddy who had the motor before me, said it came that way from summit. He bought it new and wanted a torq motor with good driving ability, he claims it has both and insist I do not change it cause its a proven combo and set up for the cam and heads.... the motor is the way it came from summit! so I need to decide what cfm carb and decide if Ishould leave it with the torker II.....
Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Redcap

Carb CFM Calculator
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Again... you can drive it that way... but you'll prolly want a stall of at least 2,500 RPM's. The Torker 2 makes power staring at 2,500 RPM's.

I ran an open plane manifold on my previous street/strip rig (a Weiand X-CELerator). I will say since using the dual plane on this street/strip rig... I like it way better.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
So not to get in a long debate, I just want to know what cfm carb to use on the new motor going in the truck and to either stick with a edelbrock or go Holley.
LOL.....what an oxymoron!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

670 Avenger, On an Edel rpm intake, steet use....on the track, 600-650 DP. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I'm thinking Hedelbrock or edolley.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
crazy longhorn

[QUOTE=prostreetC-10;5701111]I'm thinking Hedelbrock or edolley.

.....just say HOLLEY crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
cableguy0

I will use my normal vote for a mild sbc. I vote 670 street avenger and performer rpm. Just not enough gain with a regular performer to bother swapping intakes.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
Psycho71

Quote:
I will use my normal vote for a mild sbc. I vote 670 street avenger and performer rpm. Just not enough gain with a regular performer to bother swapping intakes.
Agreed!

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
cdowns

cfm does not really matter a whole heck of alot unless this is an allout full thrittle all the time engine
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
dukcaln

my buddy gave a rebuilt holley 1850 with auto choke today, thinking of putting it on the engine alond with the dual plane manifold ditching the edelbrock 1406 and torker II minifold.

would the 600cfm Holley be better than the 600 edelbrock... I am thinking so
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #16
crazy longhorn

Good to go
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #17
bk2life
Account Suspended

try them both and let us know what you found out. they both are good carbs. if you wait long enough someone will say use a q-jet.

it's all preference/looks, and if you are going to have the truck tuned on a dyno to set it up correctly, or you are just tuning by ear..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
dukcaln

the motor will be in the truck today and the trans... I did swap the torker II out today and put in place adual plane performer eps..... I have both carbs sitting here and once the motor is in I will be putting one on, probably the edelbrock first.... then drive it for a day or so then swap to the other carb and do the same. Which ever one runs the best will remain as the carb of choice...
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
cableguy0

Just to be fair. Your comparison isnt really apples to apples. Comparing two used carbs isnt fair to either carb. People notoriously screw up Holley carbs by changing things and turning screws etc etc.At least go through and throw some gaskets at the holley and make sure the jets are still stock etc.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
dukcaln

the holley is a fresh rebuild, full rebuild zero runs other than motor set ups.... re built by a very well known builder. so its really not apple to apples... being the eldelbrock was on the previous motor (6 months new out the box)... still we will see
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
cableguy0

Ok fair enough. Just didnt want you to end up pulling your hair trying to find an issue that was created by someone else.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #22
dukcaln

Quote:
Ok fair enough. Just didnt want you to end up pulling your hair trying to find an issue that was created by someone else.
I hear you and I have been there before, hince why I am changing the motor out as we speak.. didnt build it nad the issues we chased finally led to swapping the motor out... will tear into that issue after the holidays and it will be interesting to what we find