The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
Dachshund

Paint?

With all the different brands out there, what are you guys using? I'm not wanting to spend and arm and a leg for a "super show quality" high dollar paint job....just good enough for a couple local show and shines. Plan on painting a metallic bright Scarlet Red...…
I assume pretty much everyone is using a good epoxy primer? I'd like to know what brand, there, also....
Thanks!
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Paint?

Spi....https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com
Do you have bare metal or are you painting over existing paint?
Is this a dyi job?...metallic isnt a good paint for beginners

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
mr48chev

I have to agree, If you are spraying it yourself you don't want to start out with metallic paint. It is too easy to get jail bars in the paint where you didn't get the metallic to lay even.

I'd talk to the local guys as to where they buy their paint. There is usually one or two go to places for car guys in most areas.

My buddy used to mix my paint at the NAPA store he worked at for years or have one of the other guys mix it. Their Martin Senior paint is pretty decent paint.

Sometimes almost the same shade of the same color can have a big price difference and especially with red. These days you might be looking at a huge difference in price between some colors that almost look exactly alike.

Cost wise the closest Maaco to me is said to do a pretty decent job on rigs that have the bodywork already done and are stripped to the bare body shell trim wise. Their issue for most of their shops has been in their skimpy prep work on jobs that hadn't already had prep work in that they used to allow X minutes for sanding and prep and X minutes to tape the rig before it hit the paint booth.

Another thing, almost every town has a "local gun" who will shoot your already prepped and taped car with his gun for a nominal price. Those guys almost always have day jobs in bodyshops and take on side jobs. Or if you have shops that rebuild wrecks for gypo car lots they might shoot the truck if you have the trim and bumpers stripped off so all they have to do is minimum prep and paint. One shop here in town does a lot of that and their paint jobs look as good or better than show room new.
I may go there or one of my daughter's girl friends is a trained custom painter who has done a number of show winning lowriders in the past.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
Dachshund

Not my first bar-b-que.....Painted aircraft in the USMC, and used to be a civilian certified aircraft painter.....
Old 02-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
Dachshund

Guys! I'm just looking for BRANDS that might be a little cheaper than the $800 a gallon kits that the local store has....can't afford that on a fixed VA income...
Old 02-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
Guys! I'm just looking for BRANDS that might be a little cheaper than the $800 a gallon kits that the local store has....can't afford that on a fixed VA income...
Check with a PPG dealer, they also sell SHOP LINE, it's made by PPG, but is cheaper on cost. Make sure to check on UV protection in the Shop Line paint...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
BAM55

You do not have to spend 800 bucks a gallon to have a nice paint job. All brands usually have a economy paint such has dupont has Nason, and PPG has Omi, so on. If you are doing a metallic stay with a Basecoat/Clearcoat system, don't even think about doing a single stage metallic. Single stage is great for solid colors especially black. Now what I do is use a economy line basecoat and go with a higher end clear for the gloss and uv protection.

Last edited by BAM55; 02-18-2020 at 08:20 PM.
BAM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

like I stated above...spi has a lot of very positive comments on this site..
my current job I'm using Sherwin Williams...so far they havnt broke the bank
my next one will be spi

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
burnin oil

I shot my truck with Nasson single stage about 6 years ago. The paint has held up flawlessly. No fade or chalking at all. Considering it has been outside year round you cant say that it isnt a good qualitynozzle. My truck is used and the paint has been fairly resistant to scrathes. I also used the harbor frieght spray gun since my dad dropped his Davilis and cracked the noozle.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
I shot my truck with Nasson single stage about 6 years ago. The paint has held up flawlessly. No fade or chalking at all. Considering it has been outside year round you cant say that it isnt a good qualitynozzle. My truck is used and the paint has been fairly resistant to scrathes. I also used the harbor frieght spray gun since my dad dropped his Davilis and cracked the noozle.
Yeah - I've painted a lot of tractors over the years....I usually get a cheap HF paint gun that I only use on THAT job....clean it up, and it goes with it when it leaves.....Just ad the cost to the job.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
whitedog76

I'm going to throw something out there. My old man has been restoring vintage tractors since he retired several years ago. He gets tractor enamel from farm supply stores. I'm actually impressed with the results he gets. Not to mention, it covers over pretty much everything, no fish eyes, maybe an air bubble here and there. The bonus is, the paint is super cheap, like $30 a gallon. Of course the hardener, thinner, etc... is a little more. I don't think there is any brand better than the other, Van Sickle, Majic, Valspar, they all seem about the same.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #12
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Check with a PPG dealer, they also sell SHOP LINE, it's made by PPG, but is cheaper on cost. Make sure to check on UV protection in the Shop Line paint...Jim
Yeah - local parts store has Shopline, Omni, Nason, and a couple others ON THE SHELF - BUT - they told me that they don't sell a lot of paint, so they can't even mix those anymore - nor do they even have the codes!
Old 02-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #13
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I'm going to throw something out there. My old man has been restoring vintage tractors since he retired several years ago. He gets tractor enamel from farm supply stores. I'm actually impressed with the results he gets. Not to mention, it covers over pretty much everything, no fish eyes, maybe an air bubble here and there. The bonus is, the paint is super cheap, like $30 a gallon. Of course the hardener, thinner, etc... is a little more. I don't think there is any brand better than the other, Van Sickle, Majic, Valspar, they all seem about the same.
Yeah, I have used Van Sickle paints on several projects (IH fan, so I've used a LOT of red....). It's fairly durable, but subject to fade in the long run. Thought about it, though (still thinking....). The guy at the parts store actually suggested that, with a good clear coat.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #14
whitedog76

He did a Case "c" over 15 years ago. It still looks just as good as it did then. The numerous Oliver's he's done all still look good too. Of course, they all stay in the shed except for the occasional tractor pulls and field day. If they say out in the sun or saw the light of day more often, it might be a different story.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #15
72Mountaineer

I use local stuff...TP Tools.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote