The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #26
cebra

Re: Passager side window won't roll down

"If you have to overhaul the door, once done you'll see how easy." I think replacing the window regulator is the single most difficult task on these trucks followed by replacing the stock heater core (I am VA now so easy peasy on the heater core now). I personally would much rather replace head gaskets or a clutch than replace the regulator (especially now that my truck is painted). I fought with my regulator/vent window for most of a day until I realized the hole for the roller was too small and needed bent open for the repro regulator. I believe the only bolts that I have not touched on my truck are crossmember/steering gear so I am speaking subsequent to a full rebuild. The thought of replacing a regulator on my painted truck makes me sick at my stomach.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #27
ImNoSpaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gmcC15 View Post
I've seen that video before but wached it again. I think im going to order a new regular and the felts and then when I get them I will start to mess with it more. better stuck up then mess with it with out the new parts and have it stuck down.
If you get a new regulator, make sure what ever brand you get, that the crank shaft goes all the way through and flush with the housing.

I found when replacing mine that many of them were manufactured wrong. If you put too much pressure on the window crank trying to go up or down, the spring inside that housing gets knocked out of place, and ends up sticking outside the housing and jamming the gear.

If that shaft is not made right, that pressure makes it slip one way or the other inside the housing. I hammered goodmark about it and they agreed they were made wrong. I ended up rebuilding the originals because I went through 4 of the garbage repro's.

In the picture, you will see how the shaft is not even close to going through or flush with the bearing. And you see the spring is out which jammed it all up.
Attached Images

ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #28
domano 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
embarrassingly, my door panels are still off so I can try to remember to get pics inside there this weekend
Awesome! Thanks!!
Original Factory Price-$2,854
Shipping Weight-3,605 lbs
Total Production-206,313
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:44 PM   #29
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Do you have any pictures of where to spray the lube? Both mine are hard to get down and need some help. Thanks!
well stand by for the crappiest pictures you've ever seen

almost forgot about this while I was parking the longhorn this evening but I think the flash inside might have helped..

the cam followers I'm referring to are small nylon wheels that run in the horizontal tracks..

they get gunked up with debris and need cleaning and lubed.. looks like mine need it again

I sprayed lithium in there because it sticks and doesn't run out all over the place, probably a better lube for that but I had it in the garage..

you might want to take an inspection mirror [cheap at local auto parts store] and prop it in there so you can see..

I look with my hands since I already have an idea what's in there so not the most thorough job but got 'em moving..

I also sprayed some in the crank mechanism pictured above and easy enough to find, it's the part with the handle on the outside

the rubber lips in the glass run are knocked off in the second picture.. these were bent over in the run and wouldn't budge from years of lack of use..

I just took a putty knife and knocked them out so the glass could move in there freely.. of course to be replaced some day, hopefully

Old 02-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #30
domano 68

This helps a ton! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
well stand by for the crappiest pictures you've ever seen

almost forgot about this while I was parking the longhorn this evening but I think the flash inside might have helped..

the cam followers I'm referring to are small nylon wheels that run in the horizontal tracks..

they get gunked up with debris and need cleaning and lubed.. looks like mine need it again

I sprayed lithium in there because it sticks and doesn't run out all over the place, probably a better lube for that but I had it in the garage..

you might want to take an inspection mirror [cheap at local auto parts store] and prop it in there so you can see..

I look with my hands since I already have an idea what's in there so not the most thorough job but got 'em moving..

I also sprayed some in the crank mechanism pictured above and easy enough to find, it's the part with the handle on the outside

the rubber lips in the glass run are knocked off in the second picture.. these were bent over in the run and wouldn't budge from years of lack of use..

I just took a putty knife and knocked them out so the glass could move in there freely.. of course to be replaced some day, hopefully

Original Factory Price-$2,854
Shipping Weight-3,605 lbs
Total Production-206,313
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote