The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
conoco

Help with rocker arm adjustment

I have a clicking noise coming from the drivers side. I pulled the valve cover and while checking the rocker arms a couple of them seemed to be more loose than. Others. I can easily twist the push rods in some of them and I cant twist them at all on the others. Also everything I have read says there should be an allen hole to adjust. Mine just has a 5/8 nut.i know they are comp cam 1.52 but I cant find them on the web I have not adjusted any of them because I dont want to go to tight and really screw something up.
Can I just turn the 5/8 on each of them until they are barely able to twist back and forth? Also do I need to put cylinder #1 at TDC if I want to adjust each one? Or can I just start tightening the way it is now. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images

conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Myself

Re: Help with rocker arm adjustment

Those are just roller tipped rockers. You adjust them as you would stock rockers. This is best done by somebody with experience. Too tight can bend a pushrod, collapse a lifter, or even wipe out a cam lobe. Watch some Youtube videos. You can check all of them by turning the engine over and checking each pair when that cylinder is on compression stroke. It will be noticed as both rockers fully relaxed with no pressure on the valves. I usually back off the nut until I feel the play at the tip on the valve. Grab it and pull up and down at the roller tip, you'll hear it clicking. Keep doing that while you slowly tighten the nut until no clicking. Go another 1/2 turn. Piston MUST BE on compression stroke to do this correctly.
Myself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
firedemon

being those roller tip stamped rockers are there is there a large cam ? I would check the studs while you have the cover off to see if any of them are starting to pull out and loosened them up . if real loose check for bent pushrod also change the oil look for metal a wiped cam lobe can send lots of metal through engine . hope everything is good and you can just adjust them up you tube has lots of great videos that make it easier than you think
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
ManNamedJed

You should be able to twist the pushrods, but not move them up and down. There shouldn't be any clicking. I like the 1/3 turn method of adjustment that this guy demonstrates. I did it this way when I swapped my cam and it turned out perfect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EGlb_VpTAw
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
68 P.O.S.

This is the most accurate method: https://youtu.be/Prj0GUZ7nes
Old 02-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
ImNoSpaz

The way I always did it without any damage, was to do it with the engine running and a warm engine for sure. You would need a junk set of valve covers, then cut the top off them. It helps keep the oil from going everywhere. Start it up, then loosen the nut slowly until you here that rocker clicking, then tighten back up just til you here it stop. Then do the next then next til done. This is for doing hydraulic lifters.

Last edited by ImNoSpaz; 02-16-2020 at 09:41 PM.
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
This is the most accurate method: https://youtu.be/Prj0GUZ7nes
If you have solid lifters
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
68 P.O.S.

It's fine, the EOIC method works with solid lifters & hydraulic lifters.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
67C10Step

As a teenager (oh so many years ago) my mechanic uncle taught me the engine running method like ImNoSpaz but with an additional step.

Warm up engine (if you have a valve cover with a convertible top it's great but I usually built an oil dam out of cardboard or something)
Back off rocker until you hear it clicking.
Slowly tighten just until clicking stops.
Add 1/2 turn for pre-load.

Ran my old 350 tens of thousands of miles using this method. Even wow'ed my room mates and neighbors in college doing this in the apartment parking lot.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #10
hjewell2

I have dealt with those comp cams rockers , and let me tell you this, a standard 5/8 socket binds on the rocker itself and gives a false adjustment reading. Also the rockers are only good to 300lbs open pressure anything more and you will see the rocker turn blue where the ball sets. If this is just for a stock motor set up then I would just order stamped steel rocker from summit racing, they sell a great set for a decent price. sold under the summit brand name.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote