The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2019, 03:03 AM   #1
fast/cheap/right

1971 C/20 Alley Find, Back From The Dead

So, I have mentioned my new truck in a couple posts, now I want to start a build thread so I have a permanent to do list I cant misplace. I am working on a thin budget so I'm trying to repair what I have before replacing with new, and keep priorities in order. A little input is always nice too .

Here it is in all its dirty, straight off the flatbed glory.

As expected for the cheapest truck I could find on Craigslist, it has some issues. But, it runs (really well thankfully), shifts, and stops...all the most important things.

Done: Replaced all the fuel and vacuum lines and the one lonely belt. Put in a new fuel pump. Repaired numerous wiring issues and installed a battery. Put on a pair of repro 67 Camaro mirrors, re-keyed everything, and fixed the door handles. Fresh oil, plugs, wires. Removed the bed as one bedside was hacked up and the wheel wells were removed with a grinder. Removed about 200 pounds of towing accessories, from front and back hitches, to ancient brake controllers and random wires going nowhere. Oh yeah, and its registered and legal!

In progress: Replacing shattered back window, have everything waiting to do so. Cleaning fuel tank as it keeps trying to suck up muck and die from lack of fuel.

Need now: Before I will feel safe driving it a bit locally, need to replace/adjust headlights, improvise tail lights and some form of rear fenders. Should probably bleed the breaks. Also need to find one windshield wiper arm.

Need in the very near future: Tires and to replace the exhaust as both are showing their age badly. After that I will feel more confident in driving it somewhere to get a replacement bed. If anyone in the Denver Metro area has some decent 16" rim take off tires, or a complete long bed box available you could be my hero.

Need eventually: Rebuild the z-bar, and replace the bell-housing clutch fork boot. New u-joints, shocks, and usual suspension parts. Replace valve seals (smokes just a little). Replace windshield. Should probably rebuild the carb at some point too, I have a rebuild kit and brass float on a shelf already. I would also like to rebuild the spotlight and make it usable too, because its awesome.

Want: 3 point seat belts. Tachometer, HEI conversion, aluminum intake manifold, and a bit more aggressive cam. Internally regulated alternator conversion, along with headlight relay conversion. Clean up the interior and replace the dash pad, steering wheel, seat cover, etc. Lower front and rear 2-3 inches. Put posi-traction in the Dana 60 and maybe slightly taller gears. I may also do a NV4500 swap at some point. Last on the list of priorities would be build a hotter engine (maybe go LS or big block), and start rust removal.
fast/cheap/right is offline   Reply With Quote