The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
dorang

'71 Jimmy redux

Hey Folks,

I'm a newbie looking for answers and advice. I've had my baby for 20 years, and it's time to fill the holes and return the love. Here are some of the projects I have in mind.

Fuel system - I just rebuilt the engine, after it sat for 4 years. I'm getting all kind of crap in the fuel filter - I'm guessing rust in the tank from such a long idle. So I just pulled the tank. Can it be cleaned? or should I replace it? What about all the fuel lines?

Brakes - She's never really stopped well. I've had the pads and shoes, master cylinder, and slave cylinders checked/replaced - but I'm still not happy with the way she stops. My mechanic thought it might be vacuum leaks, but after a new carb - no change. Could it be the brake booster? there is a cracked grommet where the vacuum line goes to the carb.

body - body work and upholstery work will get done later this year - I'd like to get all the little jobs done before then.

Paint - is it sacrilege to mention here I want to change the original color? I've never liked the forest green. I've thought for a long time that gloss black with flat black rally stripes on the hood would look great, but I recently found a new color I like - A buddy has a 2009 Tundra with a greenish, greyish, brownish color Toyota calls Pirite Mica I think looks awesome.

Electrical - The wires in the engine compartment and in the rear are spliced six ways from Sunday, the truck has been outdoors for 20 years, Most the turn lights, horn, a couple of gauges don't work. _ I was wondering if I should just order a whole new wiring harness.

Seats - I threw out the original buckets about 7 years ago because they were rusted and falling off the mounts and threw in replacements from Harbor Freight - They've got to go. Also, I use the back a lot to haul stuff and would like a quick-disconnect rear seat - so I've been thinking of getting one out of a late model van and welding the receivers into the floors before I get to the body work. Any suggestions?

Sound - Since I run topless most the time, I don't want to put anything rich or glamorous - but I think a simple marine radio and speakers in the back would work. The Stereo dude said I should mount them on the roll bar, but I think that just screams STEAL ME too loudly.

Interior door and bed side panels - I tore out the side bed panels when I took the top off. I'd like to have side panels in the bed, but they don't work well if you keep taking the top off. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a quick-release (or cam-lock release mechanism for attaching the top where you wouldn't have to remove the side panels) - hasn't anyone invented that yet?" I still have the door panels, but they are pretty ragged. I assume I can find aftermarket ones somewhere?

Speaking of the roll bar - I just spray paint it every few years - that's not a great solution - what kind of finish will last better? Some guys have suggested I use paint-on bedliner for the roll bar and the floor.

Under coating - Speaking of bedliner, When I first bought her, she was all customized with carpet and velour seats - obviously that didn't work with going topless - so I ripped out the carpets and all the insulation under them. Since then the headers really heat up the floor. As I prep for painting, will a brush or roll-on rubberized bedliner protect, the metal? and insulate the floor (whether I paint it on top of or underneath the floor)?

Top - I mentioned in another thread that my original fiberglas top was thrashed. I don't know if it can be repaired - not likely I think - and I haven't found any at LMR or Ecklers. Is there an aftermarket (and lighter weight) replacement out there? In the mean time, I used to have a canvas Best-top but I think it was ugly (and it is not quick to erect). I'm thinking of having a Bikini top made (but I think a bikini would leave a 2-3" gap at the top of the door windows - and I would still get soaked during the driving thunderstorms we can get down here in the South.

Stance - The stock stance is nice, but it looks just a little tame for how I feel driving her. I don't know anything about suspension so I 'll tell you how she is configured. She's got 31x10.5s all around, the front axle rests on 2 leaves (which bow upward - frowny face) and the rear rests on 5 leaves (which bow upbard - smiley face). Any ideas?

As you can see, I've got lots of little things to do - I'd appreciate any advice you kind folks would offer.

Doran
dorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
jonesky2

Re: '71 Jimmy redux

jonesky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
85_C10_Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesky2 View Post
305ci - 700r4 - 10 bolt - 3:08 gears
Collecting parts for a 'mild prerunner"
85_C10_Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
dorang

Well said:

I hope I figured out the upload. The first gives you the overall picture, the second is the top - notice the crack down the center (under the hose), the 3rd details the Harbor freight seats, the missing visors, the dash, and the roll bar, the 4th the seat, my steering column (not tilt wheel, and the door minus panel, and the 5th the broken rear door of the top.

There is probably a simpler way to upload pix, I'll probably figure it out soon.

Cheers,

Doran
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
dorang

Oh, I forgot to mention the tow bar. I built it 13 years ago and will probably get rid of it. It is a bit oversized I think - It has been well used with many breakdowns, but with having the engine and tranny recently redone, I think it will look better without it.

Doran
Old 04-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Big Block
Big Block

"I forgot to mention the tow bar." "It is a bit oversized I think." WOW!!! You aren't kidding about tow bar!!! You could pull a mobile home with that thing! Jimmy looks to be in pretty good condition for being stored outside for 20 years. Good luck with your build and keep posting pictures of your progress.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote