The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:19 AM   #526
Mike_The_Grad

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Home made "mcguyver" oven: successful. Also succeeded in not blowing up my house...I was very nervous as I was keeping a close eye on the headers cooking at 400° for 2 hrs. I wouldn't let myself step away for the first hour. But I figured if its been an hour and nothings caught fire it will probably be OK. I made the oven out of a collapsable dog kennel, tin foil, cardboard, wood,brick,propane burner, and tinfoil tape. I was able to control the heat by +-50° just by adding or removing a brick from the top of the oven. My girlfriend was definatly impressed, sighting that if "S were to hit the fan" I could provide for us. Turned out better than I thought considering it cost about $50 to get my headers back to decent shape. I also reconnected my exhaust and installed chrome flywheel dust cover (after slight modification,I think the "easy to install" is a typo). Battle wound to show that it was time to call it quits for the night. Good thing I was wearing gloves, could have been a lot worse. Got it from removing starter and dropping it against frame rail.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #527
9teen69

Looking good, glad you had gloves on ...don't forget the eye pro either.
Try some liquid bandage, it burns but keeps out the grease.
70 Camaro RS (daily driver backup)
69 Custom LWB C10 (son now drives)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #528
Mator

After a year and a half tear down and rebuilding, The engine roared to life last night for the first time. Scared the nighbors though. No exhaust yet and inside the garage which made it seem lauder. Next step is to install the driveline tonight and it should be under its own power. This is a huge milestone for me and my build.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #529
9teen69

Looks clean. Sounded awesome huh...had a neighbor at the apts complain when I did that last year...I couldn't wipe the smile off my face
70 Camaro RS (daily driver backup)
69 Custom LWB C10 (son now drives)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #530
Mator

Thats exactly how I felt. I had to drag the kids out to hear it and when the wife got home made her come out and start it up so she could hear it. Almost like a new daddy.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #531
texasld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
Home made "mcguyver" oven: successful. Also succeeded in not blowing up my house...I was very nervous as I was keeping a close eye on the headers cooking at 400° for 2 hrs. I wouldn't let myself step away for the first hour. But I figured if its been an hour and nothings caught fire it will probably be OK. I made the oven out of a collapsable dog kennel, tin foil, cardboard, wood,brick,propane burner, and tinfoil tape. I was able to control the heat by +-50° just by adding or removing a brick from the top of the oven. My girlfriend was definatly impressed, sighting that if "S were to hit the fan" I could provide for us. Turned out better than I thought considering it cost about $50 to get my headers back to decent shape. I also reconnected my exhaust and installed chrome flywheel dust cover (after slight modification,I think the "easy to install" is a typo). Battle wound to show that it was time to call it quits for the night. Good thing I was wearing gloves, could have been a lot worse. Got it from removing starter and dropping it against frame rail.

That's an impressive "Red Green" oven. That's awesome!
2010 Harley Street Glide

Check Out My Build!: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617981
Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #532
Nhoechst

Finished up my re painting project at 9 Wed night. Sorry it took so long to post the pics, just been too busy. Took it to a show today and got a lot of compliments, so i guess the hard work payed off.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #533
Ozzy2013

Put armrests in my plane jane that didnt come with them .Ha ha
Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #534
Ridgeclimber

I finished sanding and prepping the interior. We got it primed in epoxy primer today.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #535
Econman

I'm jealous.. I wish I was at that stage already!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #536
67Slider

Filled her up last week and found out the seal to the sending unit was bad. So today I siphoned out the 18 gallons, dropped the tank and replaced the o-ring and the locking ring. (I'm using the 69 Camaro tank). Wasn't too bad. Took longer to siphon the gas out than remove, repair and replace the tank.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #537
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Pulled the Stock Cast Iron 4-Barrel intake and carb off along with the Stock Stamped Steel Valve Covers off and set the 3- Duece Setup and Finned Valve Covers on Just for giggles... I am leaving the 3- Duece's on there and getting rid of the Stock 4 Barrel and Spread bore intake... Stuck the stock valve covers back on for now to protect the polished Aluminum ones... I also have a Torker intake that is needing a new home...
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #538
Saclandman

Moved my 67 C20 to a new home closer to my house. Now its 10 minutes away instead of 45. The weight pushed the trailer to its limit so 40 mph on the freeway was as fast as I could go without the trailer fish tailing all over the place. Exciting drive.

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #539
Woodnears

Cut an inch and a half off my buckets to gain some head room! Welded some square stock back in to reinforce them. Excuse the ****ty welds I'm just learning how to tig weld.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #540
Woodnears

I like having them sit below the window opening as well. The drivers side was before I cut them off. The passenger is after. Ya can barely see the top of the seat. I've really just been tackling odds and ends awaiting my shipment of porterbuilt from azproperformance. Oh the anticipation!
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #541
vidman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Pulled the Stock Cast Iron 4-Barrel intake and carb off along with the Stock Stamped Steel Valve Covers off and set the 3- Duece Setup and Finned Valve Covers on Just for giggles... I am leaving the 3- Duece's on there and getting rid of the Stock 4 Barrel and Spread bore intake... Stuck the stock valve covers back on for now to protect the polished Aluminum ones... I also have a Torker intake that is needing a new home...
Now That,s Sweet
Old 04-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #542
vidman

Installed my carb and finished up my fuel lines. did some work on my exhaust and decided it was time to have a cocktail...
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #543
Ridgeclimber

I spent my Saturday sanding the interior.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #544
ole dollor

the last few weeks I put on a new water pump and fuel pump, and continue to drive it every day, almost 118000 miles and still going strong... ole dollor and me have a good life. two old farts going to coffee.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #545
TwinsSpeedShop

Sold my 70 LS swap swb and bought this supper solid stepper
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #546
Mr Handy

I ordered a bunch of new stuff for my long block 350 that's in the garage... water pump, intake, harmonic balancer, fan & clutch, headers, exhaust kit, new body mounts, wire gutters rad supports, fly wheel, alternator, fuel pump,and a ton of other stuff... all I need to do now is hit the parts store and get my 4 row rad, and get over to a fellow board members place and grab a core support. then on the first Sunday of the month I will swing by the swap meet and grab a rebuilt 600 Holley from my Carb guy and be ready to drop her in.

When I'm done everything in the truck will be new accept for the trans which seems to be a solid as a rock built 350. then it will be time to focus on finishing up the rust repair and get some paint on her... first comes mechanical, then comes cosmetics.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #547
Motoxrrar

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidman View Post
Installed my carb and finished up my fuel lines. did some work on my exhaust and decided it was time to have a cocktail...
Love the Brodex heads named a boxer dog after them... Brodex (Brody )
Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #548
Mike_The_Grad

@9teen69: yes eye protection is a must! Even though I've power washed and repainted everything in the engine bay and firewall area it can fall from anywhere...@Texas LD: yeah its a dual ring propane burner I picked up for $27. It puts out 26,000 btu's. I placed a cookie sheet over the flame to keep the direct flame off the headers. In two minutes the cookie sheet was glowing red, I owe mom a new one...@mator: I know the feeling! I'm closing on my "start" day, just received new stainless tranny Cooler lines from jegs. Also,was able to get power steering mounted and alternator bracket mounted. Had to remove some material for top alternator bracket alignment. Have to wait a day or two til I can get down to parts store for longer belts.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #549
Mike_The_Grad

@9teen69: yes eye protection is a must! Even though I've power washed and repainted everything in the engine bay and firewall area it can fall from anywhere...@Texas LD: yeah its a dual ring propane burner I picked up for $27. It puts out 26,000 btu's. I placed a cookie sheet over the flame to keep the direct flame off the headers. In two minutes the cookie sheet was glowing red, I owe mom a new one...@mator: I know the feeling! I'm closing on my "start" day, just received new stainless tranny Cooler lines from jegs. Also,was able to get power steering mounted and alternator bracket mounted. Had to remove some material for top alternator bracket alignment. Have to wait a day or two til I can get down to parts store for longer belts.

Last edited by Mike_The_Grad; 04-20-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: double post, sorry.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #550
zellway

Started to work on my fan setup and pulled all the parts for the front runner kit but with family in town that was about it.
Attached Images

1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
Closed Thread