The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
xbanone

Wiring kit

What is everyone’s favorite wiring kit currently? Painless, Ron Francis, American autowire or something else? I have a 1976 k1500 all stock V8 4 speed and no AC but one day I might upgrade to a Holley sniper fuel injection kit. Most likely I will do Dakota digital gauges along with the wiring. I would like to have the fuse block in the factory location.

I have rewired vehicles before and I would say I have a solid understanding of vehicle wiring and I have all the necessary skills and tools to do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
xbanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
Bloodhound

Re: Wiring kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbanone View Post
What is everyone’s favorite wiring kit currently? Painless, Ron Francis, American autowire or something else? I have a 1976 k1500 all stock V8 4 speed and no AC but one day I might upgrade to a Holley sniper fuel injection kit. Most likely I will do Dakota digital gauges along with the wiring. I would like to have the fuse block in the factory location.

I have rewired vehicles before and I would say I have a solid understanding of vehicle wiring and I have all the necessary skills and tools to do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm just wrapping up wiring a 1985 C10 using the American Autowire kit. I have zero complaints. You must also get the two crimping tools to make the factory style crimps. You have to do most of the terminal connections but they supply everything you need. All wires are individually labeled every foot or so. I have Dakota HDX gauges, a Holley HP computer and Vintage Air, but none of those really needed wiring into the AAW kit.

I got the kit I needed (classic update kit) on ebay for a good price.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
xbanone

I am definitely leaning toward the American auto wire. Not the cheapest but looks very complete and high quality. What is the crimping tool and where is it used?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
EricU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
I'm just wrapping up wiring a 1985 C10 using the American Autowire kit. I have zero complaints. You must also get the two crimping tools to make the factory style crimps. You have to do most of the terminal connections but they supply everything you need. All wires are individually labeled every foot or so. I have Dakota HDX gauges, a Holley HP computer and Vintage Air, but none of those really needed wiring into the AAW kit.

Bloodhound,

Did you rewire everything?

If not, what did you as you said that the Vintage Air etc didn't need wiring into the AAW kit.

Also (my real question) How long do you estimate it that it has taken you?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
xbanone

Quote:

Also I read somewhere you can rent the tooling but didn’t see that on the site anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
Factory Guy

American auto wire
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
Bloodhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
Bloodhound,

Did you rewire everything?

If not, what did you as you said that the Vintage Air etc didn't need wiring into the AAW kit.

Also (my real question) How long do you estimate it that it has taken you?

Thanks for the help!
I started with a blank canvas, so everything is new AAW. The Vintage Air setup is all self-contained, it only needs a direct battery 12V, an ignition 12V (which I did use a IGN circuit on the fuse panel, and ground. My Dakota gauges, pretty much same. I used the AAW fuel gauge wiring, but the gauges get all other info from the CANBUS connection to the Holley computer.

As for how long, it's tough to say. Once you get the hang of doing the crimps for the various connections, you can cruise right along. If I was doing a factory harness replacement it might actually be easier, no improvising. The instructions are quite good.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #8
Bloodhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbanone View Post
I am definitely leaning toward the American auto wire. Not the cheapest but looks very complete and high quality. What is the crimping tool and where is it used?
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't buy a cheap kit if you care about your truck. For the crimping, read this.

https://www.americanautowire.com/vie...ican-autowire/
Old 11-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
xbanone

Quote:
Don't buy a cheap kit if you care about your truck. For the crimping, read this.

https://www.americanautowire.com/vie...ican-autowire/
Thanks for the advice and thanks for the link!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #10
lux

AAW was a pleasure to install. And their tech support is top notch.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:54 AM   #11
mikentosh

Another vote for AAW. I’ve done three squarebodies with their kits now...no complaints at all.

I’ve also used M&H in the past and if you are looking for a restoration quality harness they are the go-to; however it will cost you (probably double an AAW kit), and since they are built to order it does take a few months to get.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:51 AM   #12
kglowacky

I installed a Painless universal kit and it was not a walk in the park but it was doable. Not sure I would use it again but it all turned out ok. Any universal kit you buy will give you some challenges not sure on a AAW kit set up for a c-10. Assume it would be easier. Good Luck
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote