The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Rednek13x

what year cab did i buy

bought this for a future rat rod project. Can anyone tell what year cab it is?

Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
swissarmychainsaw

Re: what year cab did i buy

I'm no expert, but it looks like a 45-46 to me.

Here's lots of pics of the 41-46 trucks
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2154916@N25/

There is some talk on the web about trucks made during the war, which would be few, and that they would not have any chrome on them.

Looks like you only have the cab, so that won't help. One guy suggested to look at the glass numbers has they have production dates, but that is not included from what I see.

Best guess is that it would be a "post-war" vintage. But right after from the shape and all.
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

This is my 45 if that helps

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
old yelr

If the back window is held in with a metal trim piece and 14 screws then cab is a 1941 and if it's held in with a rubber gasket then it's a '42-'46.
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
G-10Assembly

WWII Civilian truck bodies were not stamped from March 1942 until later part of 1945 from what my sources say. ( I retired from the stamping plant 2004 and know most of the history)
G-10Assembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
truckeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-10Assembly View Post
WWII Civilian truck bodies were not stamped from March 1942 until later part of 1945 from what my sources say. ( I retired from the stamping plant 2004 and know most of the history)
Well lets see, thats mostly true. i think there were exceptions for necessities on the home front-from most all makers- I know of certain municipal trucks made avalable--like fire engines, wether they were made of old stock sitting on the shelf--like regular fenders... instead of cut away fenders like the army trucks pretty much all had from 43 up, I dont now that. I got both 41 and a 42 cabs from a COE deuce.5 both closed style regular civilan cabs, ( most all the longnose type gmc cckw's and chevy g506 from 41 and 42 were regular closed cab) My 42's grill had a left over chrome grill bar at the bottom that was just sanded down and sprayed olive drab, most of that happened in 42 , anything on an assembly line was just sprayed green, and almost all car production stopped--all the chrome went to hardening the surfaces of new stamping dies and other war effort stuff. 43 up the trucks were almost all open soft top versions.

http://www.yesterdaystruck.com/trphotos/a3657.jpg

http://www.cckw.org/forum/viewtopic....t=1535&start=0

They didn't just have to switch gears though, gmc had already been cranking out plenty of army trucks. My 41 afkx-353 like the one in the top link was delivered to the army in march 41 -7 mos before pearl harbour, it was built as a army truck from the design specified,, the frame was different than a civilan version.

Last edited by truckeez; 07-16-2014 at 07:07 PM.
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
G-10Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeez View Post
Well lets see, thats mostly true. i think there were exceptions for necessities on the home front-from most all makers- I know of certain municipal trucks made avalable--like fire engines, wether they were made of old stock sitting on the shelf--like regular fenders... instead of cut away fenders like the army trucks pretty much all had from 43 up, I dont now that. I got both 41 and a 42 cabs from a COE deuce.5 both closed style regular civilan cabs, ( most all the longnose type gmc cckw's and chevy g506 from 41 and 42 were regular closed cab) My 42's grill had a left over chrome grill bar at the bottom that was just sanded down and sprayed olive drab, most of that happened in 42 , anything on an assembly line was just sprayed green, and almost all car production stopped--all the chrome went to hardening the surfaces of new stamping dies and other war effort stuff. 43 up the trucks were almost all open soft top versions.

http://www.yesterdaystruck.com/trphotos/a3657.jpg

http://www.cckw.org/forum/viewtopic....t=1535&start=0

They didn't just have to switch gears though, gmc had already been cranking out plenty of army trucks. My 41 afkx-353 like the one in the top link was delivered to the army in march 41 -7 mos before pearl harbour, it was built as a army truck from the design specified,, the frame was different than a civilan version.
Found this in a trash can at work... pertaining to WWII body production and the war materials.

I agree I would think there would be some "special needs" to have some truck available on the "homefront" as well.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
G-10Assembly

Man that is a whale of a "cow catcher" on one first image link. HAW!