The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Home Depot vs Lowes

I like Lowe's because they don't give the false impression they'll be helping on the project

I do seriously find it very annoying when I hear a Home Depot ad (they also push with ads more) saying "Let's" over and over as if they will be working along side. All "let's" means is "We sell it, now you go build it".

It's also really irritating to a contractor to pull through the parking lot reading their signs advertising on the job services they offer in competition with you, their customer. Stick to your monstrous retail business and let us small independent working stiffs have our work.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #27
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I like Lowe's because they don't give the false impression they'll be helping on the project

I do seriously find it very annoying when I hear a Home Depot ad (they also push with ads more) saying "Let's" over and over as if they will be working along side. All "let's" means is "We sell it, now you go build it".

It's also really irritating to a contractor to pull through the parking lot reading their signs advertising on the job services they offer in competition with you, their customer. Stick to your monstrous retail business and let us small independent working stiffs have our work.
I've never used their installation services, but I've noticed the prices. Some of them are insane.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #28
67C10Step

I have actually told an associate once after they asked me twice if I needed help, "Hold on a second, I am still engineering in my head." This was in the plumbing department and I was visioning my build and putting parts in a buggy. Sure, it was taking some time but I knew what I was doing - at least I think I did.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #29
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I don't go to Home Depot most of the time for one reason. My wife and I are Clemson alumni and we live somewhat near Clemson. So, I wear orange. I have a few nice orange polo's I wear for work. I've been asked too many times where stuff is.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #30
Loco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco83 View Post
Both Lowes and HD are a 1/4 mile away from home, prefer Lowes for my 10% military discount.
Plus they have 4 Veterans parking spots in the front of the store.
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #31
rwgregory

I have now been retired for the past 13 months, but I worked at Home Depot for the 2 years prior to retirement. I can honestly say in my 45 years of employment Home Depot was the WORST place I have ever worked. Everything they do is geared toward covering their arse. I took a job as a tool rental mechanic and Home Depot knows as much about running a repair shop as I know about building a nuclear reactor. They are only focused on retail and it is SELL, SELL, SELL !!

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #32
lux

Lowes is my first choice. My problem is that I like Milwaukee tools, but I found that Northern tool has Milwaukee.
I only know of one Ace anywhere near me. Really nice and knowledgeable folks there, but a little far away.I take a ride there every once in a while to feel like I'm helping a local owner.
Mostly Lowes gets my business.I never use HD they did me wrong once.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:20 AM   #33
skihor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
I use Lowe's as they offer a Military card and I get 10% off. Home Depot does not offer anything to Veterans. If I'm looking for nuts and bolts I go to Ace Hardware or Rural King.
Here in Oregon Home Depot offers a discount to Vets. Usually 10%
skihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #34
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I do not use either one of the big stores Lowes or Home Depot much anymore ..since I am not into building as I used to be..they both are 5 miles away .. I get most of my things I need for repairs at True Value Hardware and its 1 mile away .

My dislike of Lowes "was" the nuts bolts screws one needs for lumber is that one is at one end of the store and the other at the other end ,, my dislike "was" of Home Depot was when you took a return back you had to wait in line for people to buy .. guess the register is not only for returns like the sign says . ..

But ,,if I need a new Fridge or Stove or washing machine ,dryer ect ect ,,I will be back in both stores shopping..
Old 06-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #35
rwgregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihor View Post
Here in Oregon Home Depot offers a discount to Vets. Usually 10%
At the Home Depot I worked in in San Diego the 10% discount was only offered to active duty Military, not Vets. Also, it was for merchandise only, not rentals, repairs or services.

305 V-6, 4-speed
Old 06-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #36
68bowtie

I used to shop exclusively at Lowes. In 2013 I bought a house (major fixer upper), went into Lowes and put in an order for a bunch of appliances. On the way walking out, it was closing time (literally 1 minute after the hour), and a manager rudely rushed my wife and I out of the store. The rest of my renovation we shopped at Home Depot, and it's been my go-to ever since.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #37
rwgregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Lowes is my first choice. My problem is that I like Milwaukee tools, but I found that Northern tool has Milwaukee.
I am also a big fan of Milwaukee tools and own several of them. However, beware. When I worked at Home Depot repairing tools my Milwaukee parts shipments came in from the same place as my Rigid and Ryobi parts shipments. They are tied together somehow. Also, depending on which promotion was running the Rep for Milwaukee, Rigid and Ryobi was the same guy. He would just wear a different shirt with whatever company logo matched the tools that were being featured. In my opinion Rigid and Ryobi are 2 of the worst power tools made.

305 V-6, 4-speed
Old 06-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #38
truckster

Well, I'm finding I might have to go to Home Depot for one item... a tool chest. They have a Husky 56-inch unit that I just can't find anything to compare to an anything near the price.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #39
rwgregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Well, I'm finding I might have to go to Home Depot for one item... a tool chest. They have a Husky 56-inch unit that I just can't find anything to compare to an anything near the price.
See if you can hold off purchasing that tool chest until Thanksgiving. You don't have to fight the crowds on Black Friday. Just get there within a few days after Thanksgiving and you will see prices on everything deep discounted sometimes up to 40% off. Those big discounts only apply to merchandise that is in the store, not special orders.

305 V-6, 4-speed
Old 06-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #40
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here we have neither - Menards is the equivalent. I can say that it’s far better than HD or Lowe’s in terms of selection and customer service. It’s a privately held company started and headquartered here. They actually sell many items made in the USA.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:57 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgregory View Post
I am also a big fan of Milwaukee tools and own several of them. However, beware. When I worked at Home Depot repairing tools my Milwaukee parts shipments came in from the same place as my Rigid and Ryobi parts shipments. They are tied together somehow. Also, depending on which promotion was running the Rep for Milwaukee, Rigid and Ryobi was the same guy. He would just wear a different shirt with whatever company logo matched the tools that were being featured. In my opinion Rigid and Ryobi are 2 of the worst power tools made.
All are one in the same with Home Depot. If HD doesn't own them they rule them. What I mean is, take Milwaukee, they make great quality tools and are their own company. But HD has the power to have a company make their own personal line with the Milwaukee name, have a cheaper version made, or even possible through licensing rights and contract the tools could be not even made by Milwaukee but are allowed to bare their name. Kind of like MTD mowers that appear to be Cub Cadet or John Deere.

Rigid makes the best tools for pipe work, such as thread cutters. They were never a power tool company other than pipe cutters and thread cutters. Home Depot comes along and now Harry Homeowner is buying a Rigid miter box or table saw. Being in the trades all my life that just seemed wrong. A carpenter knew the best tools for his trade and a plumber knew the best tools for his trade. A plumbing tool company did not make tools for making book cases and cabinets and the company that made finish carpentry tools did not make plumbing tools. As far as I'm concerned they still don't. Those tools are made for people who don't know any better. And these days that's a lot of contractors. A big business floods the market so they become what it known to most. Has nothing to do with being the best.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote