The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Boy Scouts of America

Boy Scouts were mentioned another thread, instead of hijacking I figured I would start a new thread.

I was a Cub Scout starting in the mid 60's and worked my way up in to Webelo's.

My father moved us around a lot and and I got away from Scouting for a bit. I did end up reconnecting when we finally settled in one town. Maybe because my mom became a Cub Scout Den Mother. My brothers are 4, 7, and 10 years younger than me and they were all in her Den.

I joined the Boy Scouts and wore my uniform when I helped mom with her meetings. The younger kids looked up to me, I enjoyed working with the kids and I think it really helped me mature.

On the Boy Scouting side we had a really great troop. Age wise I was in the middle by a couple years on each side. We did so much stuff as a troop for the community and each other. We were very active when it came to the out doors.

Our leader was very much an outdoorsman. He spent much of his life in Alaska, where he hunted with bow and arrow and guns. He even had a bullet hole where he was accidentally shot by another hunter. Man did we think that was something!

I think learning about nature and all things out doors from a man like that was a real blessing in my life. My father was none of that. We never camped with him, or did anything outdoorsy. We did do some lake fishing which went ok unless we irritated him in some way.

Overall I think it helped build my core. Unfortunately I never achieved Eagle status. I was so close, Thinking back I had pretty much everything I needed. Couple of small things and a certain time in the Life (?) rank. The older kids moved on (several Eagles) and our leader finally called it quits. I think he missed the older kids he helped get to the end. I was kind of left dangling and would have had to join a new troop as ours disbanded. I was deep into HS by that time and I guess I found "better" things to do.

I have a lot of fun and funny Boy Scout stories and adventures that I get a chuckle out of when I reminisce. I don't know where Scouting is in the rest of the country, I do know its really watered down and died off out here in leftist (sorry political heh) country. It's too bad because it really was a good thing for growing boys.

Were you in Scouting? Do you think it helped you develop in ways you wouldn't have without it?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: Boy Scouts of America

Been many years ago, but your story sounds very close to mine other than the younger brothers. I made it to the one before eagle (life?) before our troop disbanded. I am very glad to have had the experience at that age. We still have several troops in the area that are very active with local things.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I wasn’t in the scouts although when my folks were still together we live in Castle Rock Co for a few years. My dad was an over the road truck driver. He would be gone for weeks at a time. My two older brothers we in the Cub Scouts and my mom was a den mother also. I wasn’t old enough to be a Cub Scout but I did everything that they did. I remember my would take us to the top of the rock for meetings. My brothers were webelos too and I think my oldest brother may have been a Boy Scout. That would’ve been in the mid to late 60s.

I go visit that rock whenever I get the chance. I’ve got some great memories there.

I hope you don’t mind me posting a picture of the top of the rock and me enjoying the scenery.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I wanted to join, but my parents didn't want that for some reason. Once my boys were old enough, I signed them up and was a volunteer leader for 15 years until the youngest dropped out. I served as every type of unit leader but Scoutmaster, and graduated from Wood Badge training. I also served as a Commissioner for many years during that same time. We had a lot of great times, and did things that I never would have thought to do, which were in the handbooks. I'd say I got as much out of Scouting as I put in. Having sons in packs and troops kept me hopping, I can tell you!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

"This one time at scout camp..."

Lol
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:51 PM   #6
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I got my Eagle. It was quite an achievement at the time and something I put a lot into. I enjoyed my time in scouting and there are certainly many funny memories. I learned a lot of good survival/life skills. Honestly I’m ashamed of it now because of all the political changes they have made. In my opinion they have failed the very young men they were meant to serve, teach and protect in so many ways.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
Custom 68

I wasnt involved as a boy but my son was so I stepped up as a leader in cub scouts and followed him thru into Boy Scouts. He did earn his Eagle and I am sure he has many memories as well. It is a good program but like said it has changed over the recent years.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I did Cub Scouts and started in Boy Scouts, but lost interest really. I was working so much at odd jobs, I just didn't have the time. Our local church has a very active scout unit and produces a lot of Eagle Scouts. Like me, my son had other interests that kept him busy, so he didn't stay long with the scouts.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote