The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
truckster

Home Depot vs Lowes

It's been a while since I've been to Home Depot. Now that most of the businesses in the state are open I figured I'd make a trip to Home Depot and buy a few things. I get there and try to walk in the contractors door (where I usually enter) and an employee stops me and tells me I have to go to the other entrance. I look over there and they've got a line of maybe 50 people waiting to get in.

I got back in the Yukon and headed over to Lowes. They've been open during this whole time, and no waiting in line to get in. They ask you to wear a mask, but they don't demand it. I guess it will be quite a while before I go back to Home Depot.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Home Depot vs Lowes

I avoid both . Use a local ACE for hardware items and a saw mill for lumber. Real 2x4s
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
truckster

I wish I had a sawmill locally. The lumber you can buy at the chain stores is crap nowadays. I save almost every piece of dimensional lumber I come across when do any remodeling. The old stuff was straight and true.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

I do a bit of side work for better off people, amd watching there reactions to a issue with over a 99% survival rate. Makes me wonder how they have money.

This guy wanted to diagnose a issue he is having, but freaked when I had to enter the house.

This is not the Spanish flu with a 2-3% death rate. It is not our WW2 as exactly whom is the evil enemies we need to destroy besides China? Which very few have the stomach to loose cheap stuff. At worst it is a mild bump in the road comfounded by idiots, and sheeple.

The near depression we will get out of this will be real though.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
Greasey Harley

Home Depot for tools, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Husky etc.

Lowes for lumber. Not because it's any better, but because I can pull the truck inside and load it right in the back. I don't have to load twice. I'm not impressed with their tool selection.

Ace for just about everything, They're 2 blocks away and have the best selection of nuts, bolts and screws, and whatnot. I even bought my Milwaukee impact from ACE and they price matched the HD.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:52 AM   #6
Greg58

I go to Menards or Ace around here, however my Wife likes the plant and flower selection at Lowes.
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

We only have True Value and a mom and pop hardware store around here.

They need to change the name of True Value to True Overpriced. The prices are ridiculous there. My wife wanted a little 3 foot pine tree that they had. I'm thinking it's going to be about $40 tops. Nope. $300

I needed some weed killer. There was another guy looking at it too. He looked at me and said can you believe these prices? Then I saw what he was talking about $109 for a gallon jug. I got it online for $23 delivered.

I always try to support local business. But I'm not going to get taken to the cleaners.

Unless I want my suit dry cleaned.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
It's been a while since I've been to Home Depot. Now that most of the businesses in the state are open I figured I'd make a trip to Home Depot and buy a few things. I get there and try to walk in the contractors door (where I usually enter) and an employee stops me and tells me I have to go to the other entrance. I look over there and they've got a line of maybe 50 people waiting to get in.

I got back in the Yukon and headed over to Lowes. They've been open during this whole time, and no waiting in line to get in. They ask you to wear a mask, but they don't demand it. I guess it will be quite a while before I go back to Home Depot.
Was your Home Depot not open through this whole thing? Maybe the Home Depot was that much busier than Lowes that they had the line. I don't know about your state, but here it is the governor's order that has businesses counting/limiting people let in the store. We are still ordered to wear the mask in stores. I've been doing business with both through this, but Lowe's is my store of choice. Let's do what?? "We" ain't doin' nothin', only me!

I went to Wagner Meats, the Mt. Airy Locker Co, yesterday. They are a local third generation independent business that processes and sells local farm raised meat. There was a line outside, people spaced 6' and wearing masks. There were no sheeple there, just people intelligent enough to take measures to avoid spreading this virus that is still being spread by people who are not taking these measures. I could walk straight into Safeway to buy industrialized feed lot meats, but I'll keep buying my meat at Wagner's. They have given me no reason to not want to do business with them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-24-2020 at 07:55 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
Zippi

I use Lowe's as they offer a Military card and I get 10% off. Home Depot does not offer anything to Veterans. If I'm looking for nuts and bolts I go to Ace Hardware or Rural King.
Zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Lowes for me ..because its local and close...HD is a few towns over ..not worth the drive...all the old timey small hardware stores are gone here..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I use Lowes most alll the time. Home Depot I use only for the Behr paint. Lowe's Military discount program is way better than Home Depot. Home Depot does have it, but only for in store buys and price cap (I think 500). There is an Ace, True Value and Tractor Supply in the area, but Lowes here seems to have the better selections and is easier to get to for me. The Home Depot was the only one that gave me some BS in the store, but that was 10+ years ago, and I think management is probably different by now. I use a local hardware store a good bit also, but he is very limited in what he carries.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
flashed

I prefer Lowes over the Depot but Lowes is in a bad traffic area , but they offer a better selection , better customer service . I like Ace if Im buying chain saws as they offer my favorite brand and service them . I like Northern for my Milwaukee battery tools but they are 1 hour away , I go when they send me a $20 coupon .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
Boog
laying low

[I go when they send me a $20 coupon ]

Yeah, traveling expenses. I like your angle.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
Troy Sr

Here in my area we have two Lowes and two HD pretty much equidistant from me. They all have lines to get in unless you go at the right time!! I don't go in the morning to many people. I tend to go at 12-2 much less people. My brother-in-law is the manager at one of the HD's so I try to support him, family you know!!!
Old 05-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Was your Home Depot not open through this whole thing? Maybe the Home Depot was that much busier than Lowes that they had the line. I don't know about your state, but here it is the governor's order that has businesses counting/limiting people let in the store. We are still ordered to wear the mask in stores. I've been doing business with both through this, but Lowe's is my store of choice. Let's do what?? "We" ain't doin' nothin', only me!
Both stores were open throughout. Home Depot had lines outside with a specific number of people allowed in. Lowes never did. There's no governor's order to limit entry, so it's their thing, not the government's. Apparently Home Depot has dug in their heels and decided that's how they want to do business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I use Lowes most alll the time. Home Depot I use only for the Behr paint. Lowe's Military discount program is way better than Home Depot. Home Depot does have it, but only for in store buys and price cap (I think 500).
Yeah, I like how Lowes handles their military discount better, too. I just scan my Lowes card at the register and it recognizes my military discount, and I can use my email online to get their discount as well. Home Depot doesn't offer the discount online and you're right about the cap.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #16
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

The same has happened here. Our local home depot is following the guidelines and the local Lowes is not. The result has been almost impossible to find a parking spot at lowes (across street from each other), although home depot has been very busy as well.

Most of my garage has been built with stuff from lowes, mostly because I could take the time to pick my own lumber and there's 10% coupons available cheaply on ebay. I usually buy a 3 pack for $3-4. Saved A LOT of $ doing that. They're only good for a few weeks. It took me 8 months to frame my garage by myself, so I didn't want huge piles of lumber sitting around. I'd get what I needed for the weekend on wed or thursday night after work.

All the finishing stuff i try to get from a builder's supply place because they carry all of the grades above the box stores. I can tell you the siding I bought from them is SIGNIFICANTLY better than what I pulled off my house and what I've seen installed on new builds. I got my shingles, roof materials, siding, and shutters (don't ever buy shutters from lowes/home dept, there's much higher quality stuff for the same price) from a local ABC supply. The did piss me off in that they delivered all of my materials during a monsoon and didn't cover my $ load of plywood. I didn't even let them take it off the truck. But everything else has been much better than you can buy at a box store.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #17
crossfire84

.My wife went to Menards 2 weeks ago, she went in through the garden center and an employee charged up to her yelling you can't enter this way what's the mater with you! Get out and use the main entrance. So she went there and another imp stopped her at the door and started shouting you need a mask or get out. Well we will NEVER spend $$$ there again. I tried to call the main office and lodge a complaint but all they do is send you to endless phone system press 1,2,3--- our home depot is mask free So far. Rant over!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #18
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
All the finishing stuff i try to get from a builder's supply place because they carry all of the grades above the box stores. I can tell you the siding I bought from them is SIGNIFICANTLY better than what I pulled off my house and what I've seen installed on new builds. I got my shingles, roof materials, siding, and shutters (don't ever buy shutters from lowes/home dept, there's much higher quality stuff for the same price) from a local ABC supply. The did piss me off in that they delivered all of my materials during a monsoon and didn't cover my $ load of plywood. I didn't even let them take it off the truck. But everything else has been much better than you can buy at a box store.
There's an ABC Supply right down the street from me. I didn't realize they sold to the public. I might need to stop in there.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:16 PM   #19
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Lowe's and HD have very poor building materials selection around here. Menards gets my business. HD only if I'm forced to go, and then I'm kicking and screaming. Mainly due to reasons I can't discuss here. Those reasons are heavily engrained into me and will never change.

I do occasionally shop Lowe's but they cater more to the fancier population. Their veteran discount is a plus
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:50 PM   #20
62c30

Lowe's is 5 minutes away where HD and Menards are 25 minutes away. Lowe's is so over priced that it saves money to go to Menards. LP smart trim and Menards was $13.99 and Lowe's had same exact item for $20.99. Lowe's gives a 5% credit card discount where Menards gives 2% plus the 11%. Im not a fan of any of the box stores as they always seem to piss me off in one way or another.
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Home Depot of Lowe's, hmmm...

NZ Cramer & Sons!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #22
Tom
driving is in my blood

I use ACE for most things, Lowes otherwise. There is a HD a half mile from my house and I drive pass them to go other places.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #23
67C10Step

I use my local Ace hardware for as much as possible, especially nut and bolt wise. They are also the only place that has 24"x 30" air filters that I need.

Lowes mostly for lumber but there is also a Meeks about 20 minutes away.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:00 AM   #24
franken

I saw the same line thing at the local HD a week or so ago but not this last weekend. Never at Lowes. They're about an eighth mile apart. I normally go to Lowes since it's closer.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:51 AM   #25
Loco83

Both Lowes and HD are a 1/4 mile away from home, prefer Lowes for my 10% military discount.
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote