The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #51
richards72chevy

Re: Plasti Dipped the '67

I like it your truck looks good step 67.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #52
sublime1996525

I almost bought the pro car kit with the 5 gallons of paint for like $395 yesterday. I'm not sure if there sale goes to Monday or not but might be worth checking out.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #53
Step'67

If you do, be sure to post pics once done! They do often have sales on their site so around this time of the year there probably are quite a few, and it appears that one sale does go till Monday. Note: Right now there is a 20% off everything sale going on until Monday (12/2 till Midnight EST) so if anyone is interested, check it out now (Coupon Code: Friday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
I like it your truck looks good step 67.
Thanks bud, a work in progress as they always seem to be
Old 11-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #54
az's1971C10

Step67,
What color did u use? Is it Gunmetal gray or anthracite ? When u prepped your rig did u sand to metal ? I bought 3 cans yesterday to spray on my tailgate as a test sight. I plan on spraying it today or tomorrow and will post my results. By the way while at Home Depot I ended up talking with a pro paint shop guy who professionally sprayed one of his vehicles and he didn't like how it turned out. He said the texture came out "grainy".

Cheers
TH350
Sanderson Headers
71' C10 SWB ECE 4/6 drop kit: SOLD
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
Step'67

Mine was a custom color. I took standard dip and mixed in Antique Silver Metallic pigment by Jacquard until I liked the color. Sanding to metal is absolutely not necessary. Dip is designed to be sprayed over top of existing paint, sanding to metal probably won't benefit any and kind of defeats the purpose of Dip. My ride was already in primer (I did some body work before shooting), so I wet sanded the entire vehicle to make sure it was nice and smooth, then shot it. As far as the "pro paint shop guy", I'd say he did it wrong. Yes if it was a matte paint, people have to understand that it will have a slight texture to it once dry, that's just the nature of matte Dip. If someone wants a very smooth and shiny finish, use Plasti Dip Glossifier over top. But from your "grainy" description, maybe didn't mix it before shooting, too hot outside, incorrect gun settings, too light of coats, etc. I've come to learn that people who claim themselves to be professionals at Home Depot, some are but most aren't, just my experience. Dip is different than spraying standard paint, so he probably just wasn't familiar with the process. The sample pictures of the speed shapes on Page 1 show properly prepped and sprayed dip of both gloss and matte.

One great resource is DipYourCar's YouTube videos. There are several where they go through the entire process and show the results in the end. To anyone looking to experiment with this stuff, or do an entire ride, I highly recommend at least watching a video or two.

Be sure to post any results, Dip on!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #56
az's1971C10

Thanks Step, I should have gone back and looked at your original post because now I remember saying you wet sanded it.

I took his info with a grain of salt. He was at Home Depot buying other stuff for his shop, not paint to paint with. I have a shop that I would trust for real info when it comes time to put a glossy paint job on it.

Thanks again for the info.

cheers
TH350
Sanderson Headers
Old 11-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #57
burnin oil

I read alot of this thread and one thing came to mind. Why not just paint it. I bought quality paint, sealer, and etch primer for about the same price as you spent on the plasti cote. Mine will last the long haul. If you want to change the color all that is needed is to scuff it, seal it, and shoot a new color. Now it has even more layers of protection from rust. What did I miss on the the benefit of plasti cote?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #58
Step'67

I'd say there are many reasons, but the number one, it's different. People aren't saying that spraying Plasti Dip is better than actual automotive paint, but it has its advantages just like anything else. The reason I chose it was simple, it was cheap, easy to apply, didn't leave me with a fear that someone would scratch or key it, and in the event something did go wrong all I had to do was peel it off and my truck was simply back to how I started.

As far as spraying standard paint, then having to re-scuff everything, base, and clear it again for a simple color change, it depends on who you talk to if it is easier or not. Of course mine hasn't been on that long, but I have yet to find someone on the forums who applied Dip properly that is complaining of it fading or what not. I believe its life span is comparable to a mid range paint job.

Consider the fact that someone already has even a cheap HF HVLP gun, and all the throw away items for doing any paint job. All that is left to be purchased is the dip. You can self thin and make 4 gallons of dip for around $150. I would be very impressed if you could find me some actual quality primer, sealer, base, and clear all for less than that amount. In my mind, and from pricing known quality paints, this was the cheaper route.

Back to the real reason I did it, which will vary per person. It wasn't the cost. I saw the product, had a need that it would fill, and wanted to see how well it worked. I was more than willing to put down a few hundred dollars if it meant discovering a great product that fit my needs and I may use down the road. And in fact I have, just finished helping a friend of mine plan out his old Dodge Sweptline pickup that he is doing in KOI Orange (I'll try and get pics at some point).

Every one has their own needs, their own access to materials, and their own depth of pockets. Different products fit different peoples wants and needs, and I believe that Plasti Dip is simply another product that I'm trying to spread info about so that those people may take it into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az's1971C10 View Post
Thanks Step, I should have gone back and looked at your original post because now I remember saying you wet sanded it.

I took his info with a grain of salt. He was at Home Depot buying other stuff for his shop, not paint to paint with. I have a shop that I would trust for real info when it comes time to put a glossy paint job on it.

Thanks again for the info.

cheers
I'm with you, I would definitely trust an auto paint shop more than a guy from Home Depot
Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #59
Superdrag67

Did the top a little while ago in white. Will see how it holds up.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #60
burnin oil

Thanks step 67. Cost me about double that for single stage paint with primer and sealer for Nasson.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #61
az's1971C10

I have rattle canned 2.5 cans on the tail gate so far and it looks better than the paint job i have on it now. The problem I have is some of the paint is chipped to bar metal and other areas I smoothed out by sanding. I was going to finish it tomorrow but I was offered to go to the Forty Niner game, so guess where I'm going.

cheers
TH350
Sanderson Headers
Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #62
Step'67

I hear ya AZ, post some pics when you do get it done if ya can, I'm curious to see how she looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrag67 View Post
Did the top a little while ago in white. Will see how it holds up.
Nice truck man, looks good!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #63
Blitz
Mr. Thread Killer

Damn OP, your truck looks extremely nice "Dipped". Yours would be the first classic vehicle I've seen use it and with the flat/satin color craze, I think it will continue to be a big deal. I have PD'd a few things on my modern DD and am I believer. When the time comes I may pick your brain on how you got that exact color and finish. It looks really nice.

For those of you concerned about the "what ifs", at about $4 a can you can experiment with it. Don't like it? Just peel it off with NO worries. I think all the concerns are covered by DYC's "Tube" videos.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #64
az's1971C10

Here is how my tailgate turned out. It's much better than what it looked like before.
Attached Images

TH350
Sanderson Headers
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #65
az's1971C10

Step67,
Does your texture look like this or smoother? I assume spraying on with a quality spray gun would make it smoother. This was all done with the rattle cans.

I think I'm going to try the whole truck, I just need to decide if I should purchase the gun through Dip your car or get a mid-level Wagner. Any recommendations are welcome.
Attached Images

TH350
Sanderson Headers
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #66
Step'67

It's hard to tell, what color is that? I can't tell if it is the texture (or camera) making the paint look like many different colors or if it actually is multiple colors. If it is the texture, then yes mine is more smooth. The benefit of the actual HVLP gun is you can lay down nice and even coats, fairly heavy. It seems the heavier you apply each coat without having it run, the more smooth it will be as Dip seems to also reliquify the layer underneath along with the top layer leveling out.

I like that color, and am impressed it came from a rattle can. I can't see any stripes to speak of. Good work man! I would definitely suggest purchasing a gun if you are to do your whole rig. I used the Graco 2900 from Lowe's and am very happy with it. Earlex also makes an identical model for a bit more I believe (both of these are what DYC used to include in their kits and use on their own vehicles). Now there's also DipYourCar's new sprayer they just released available from their website. As for Wagner, read some reviews on Dip's forum if you can. From what I read they seem to not spray as even or consistent as the others I recommended. Any of those would be at the top of my recommendation level as they are in a decent price point and seem to produce great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Damn OP, your truck looks extremely nice "Dipped". Yours would be the first classic vehicle I've seen use it and with the flat/satin color craze, I think it will continue to be a big deal. I have PD'd a few things on my modern DD and am I believer. When the time comes I may pick your brain on how you got that exact color and finish. It looks really nice.

For those of you concerned about the "what ifs", at about $4 a can you can experiment with it. Don't like it? Just peel it off with NO worries. I think all the concerns are covered by DYC's "Tube" videos.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I like the understated look of this matte silver and thought it would go well with the truck. I 100% agree with your thoughts on the "what if" side of things. Watch a video, try it, if you don't like it, peel it off. That's how I started. Pick away, I'll try to be as much help as is useful.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #67
az's1971C10

The color is gunmetal grey. The first pic might make it look like two colors one being darker than the other. All it is is the lighting. The second pic is an up close photo so I could show the texture. Both were taken with an Ipad 2. In fact this is the first time I have posted pics because I couldn't figure it out before. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!

There are no streaks or zebra stripes. I actually took my time and waited 20 minutes between each coat. I should have warmed the spray cans first though.

Anyway, a co-worker has agreed to let me barrow his gravity paint gun. When I get that I will order the paint. His stepfather is a professional body man / painter and I have been told by several people he is one of the best old school guys in the area. And he and the owner of the shop he works at are super nice guys who have answered many of my questions. I will post my pics when I finally paint the rig. Thanks again for your help 67.

Cheers
Az
TH350
Sanderson Headers
Old 12-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #68
dan468

is this color possible?

Build thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414699
Old 12-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #69
long'n low

I bet if you took there black for 2-3 coats then added some glossifier into the black for another 2-3 coats you could get a similar sheen on the black. Another option is to add some pear to the black bit it comes out a bit more grey.

I haven't played much but have been looking at what others have done.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #70
dan468

Quote:
Originally Posted by long'n low View Post
I bet if you took there black for 2-3 coats then added some glossifier into the black for another 2-3 coats you could get a similar sheen on the black. Another option is to add some pear to the black bit it comes out a bit more grey.

I haven't played much but have been looking at what others have done.
That looks like a pretty good plan, at least worth the shot. I emailed them and asked for more pics of the glossifier too. It's for a 64 Lincoln, not the 68 SWB

Build thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #71
dan468

I found it, they have a bunch of examples on Facebook. This one is 50/50 black and glossifier

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Build thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #72
long'n low

I wonder how long you can leave it in your gun?? can you make a batch up and shoot one coat at a time or do you have to mix it up per coat??

Be nice if you could shoot it onto a some scrap and adjust the mix until you get the sheen/color you want
Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #73
ahsom79vette

Cool Re: Plasti Dipped the '67

Nice job Step'67.

I was looking into this several months ago for my Chevy Cobalt, and maybe my '71. Only problem is if you live in CALIFORNIA, Dip Your Car cannot ship any of the Dip. It's CA regulations...

I know that DYC is doing all they can to help with this, and maybe soon we can purchase this here. I've seen a few paint shops that will dip cars in So. Cal., maybe some could be purchased through them?

Better Yet, going out-of-state for the holidays? Get some shipped to your non-California relatives and then pick it up from them...
1971 Chevy C20 Longhorn (6.6L, 402c.i.);
1973 Chevy K20, 4x4, std. cab, longbed (5.7L);
1979 Chevy Corvette (5.7L);
2001 Chevy Xtreme S-10, ex-cab, 5spd. (4.3L);
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 4x4, ex-cab, (6.0L);
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, ex-cab, 4-6drop (4.8L);
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500, 4x4, std. cab, 5spd. (4.8L);
2004 Chevy Colorado Z71, 4x4, crew cab, (3.5L);
2006 HUMMER H3, 4x4, 5spd., (3.5L).
Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #74
ahsom79vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
First thing that comes to mind for where i live would be getting door dings, guess it would depend on the angle of the hit as to if it would dent or tear?
DYC has videos on *Tube showing how to repair any spots that may for some reason get damaged. I think you basically just remove a patch, with some solvent, and then respray that area. Again, search their forum.
1971 Chevy C20 Longhorn (6.6L, 402c.i.);
1973 Chevy K20, 4x4, std. cab, longbed (5.7L);
1979 Chevy Corvette (5.7L);
2001 Chevy Xtreme S-10, ex-cab, 5spd. (4.3L);
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 4x4, ex-cab, (6.0L);
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, ex-cab, 4-6drop (4.8L);
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500, 4x4, std. cab, 5spd. (4.8L);
2004 Chevy Colorado Z71, 4x4, crew cab, (3.5L);
2006 HUMMER H3, 4x4, 5spd., (3.5L).
Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #75
Step'67

Quote:
Originally Posted by az's1971C10 View Post
The color is gunmetal grey. The first pic might make it look like two colors one being darker than the other. All it is is the lighting. The second pic is an up close photo so I could show the texture. Both were taken with an Ipad 2. In fact this is the first time I have posted pics because I couldn't figure it out before. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!

There are no streaks or zebra stripes. I actually took my time and waited 20 minutes between each coat. I should have warmed the spray cans first though.

Anyway, a co-worker has agreed to let me barrow his gravity paint gun. When I get that I will order the paint. His stepfather is a professional body man / painter and I have been told by several people he is one of the best old school guys in the area. And he and the owner of the shop he works at are super nice guys who have answered many of my questions. I will post my pics when I finally paint the rig. Thanks again for your help 67.

Cheers
Az
That's awesome, gunmetal looks good on just about anything. Definitely an HVLP gravity feed is the way to go. Definitely post pics, anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan468 View Post
is this color possible?
Absolutly. Looks to be black Dip coated with a Glossifier/Clear mixture to get that satin finish. There are many different ways to achieve that sheen, check out their forum for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long'n low View Post
I wonder how long you can leave it in your gun?? can you make a batch up and shoot one coat at a time or do you have to mix it up per coat??

Be nice if you could shoot it onto a some scrap and adjust the mix until you get the sheen/color you want
This stuff doesn't dry via a catalyzed reaction, it dries by evaporation of the thinner. So yes, you can leave it at least in a paint bucket for a long time as long as it is sealed. I don't know about the gun, probably not the best airtight seal. However, yes, you can store it in an air tight container. When I did mine I just mixed two gallons at a time in a big 5 gallon bucket, but you can mix it all at once if wanted. I did it this way though to ensure proper distribution of my pigment throughout the Dip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsom79vette View Post
Nice job Step'67.

I was looking into this several months ago for my Chevy Cobalt, and maybe my '71. Only problem is if you live in CALIFORNIA, Dip Your Car cannot ship any of the Dip. It's CA regulations...

I know that DYC is doing all they can to help with this, and maybe soon we can purchase this here. I've seen a few paint shops that will dip cars in So. Cal., maybe some could be purchased through them?

Better Yet, going out-of-state for the holidays? Get some shipped to your non-California relatives and then pick it up from them...
Thanks bud. Good old California restrictions. Yah, if you want to do it yourself, I would at least approach a shop who sprays them. The worst they can say is no. That's the way to do it, family comes in handy sometimes.