The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
dagnabbitt

Plow Truck

I might be looking for a truck to plow snow with, can anyone offer advice on what kind of truck I would want for that, and what kind of blade?

Must it be a one ton, dually? Does it have to be a 4x4? Diesel or gas? I have no experience with this sort of thing.

It would be mostly for pushing snow around a parking lot, to save some hours on our bobcat.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: Plow Truck

A lot depends on the size of the lot. No real reason to buy a diesel. Size of the plow will somewhat dictate the size of the truck. I would go 3/4 ton at least. They have a heavier frame and axles. Get an auto. Buddy of mine bought new snow plow a couple of years and really loves the feature that allows him to angle the blade independently two halves from side to side.
I push snow with my LS6 swapped 98 Wrangler. Just my driveway and in front of my shop. Has worked well for 15 years. I like it because it turns so short.
Pic of my Jeep.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

I am going to say look for a 4wd 3/4 or 1 ton with a gas motor.

Plow gear is heavy, and hard on stuff. The 3/4, and 1 ton share the same components except springs.

4wd so you are not stuck as easily.

Gas just so it starts easier.

Rclb so it turns easier. Cut to a short bed if nessacary.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
LS short box

A lot depends on the size of the lot. No real reason to buy a diesel. Size of the plow will somewhat dictate the size of the truck. I would go 3/4 ton at least. They have a heavier frame and axles. Get an auto. Buddy of mine bought new snow plow a couple of years and really loves the feature that allows him to angle the blade independently two halves from side to side.
I push snow with my LS6 swapped 98 Wrangler. Just my driveway and in front of my shop. Has worked well for 15 years. I like it because it turns so short.
Pic of my Jeep.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
dagnabbitt

Its a pretty big lot that I have to do. I have two 3/4 tons: one is a 1968 292 4 speed and one is a 1972 6.2 diesel 700r4 (swapped, obviously).

I'd like to save some money by using one of these instead of buying another truck... but on the other hand I would always love to buy another truck and I would if I had to.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 10-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I have two trucks as we have a town plowing contract. Last year i had a CUCV squarebody and a 98 GMC K 2500 this year i sold off the square abd got an 06 F350 all of my trucks have been municipal vehicles as they are usually somewhat maintained but rusty I do not salt only plow so i dont run any sanders or anything but my 98 runs a standard meyers plow setup theres a bracket , hoop and the plow attaches to the truck frame and hoop.. in Spring i remove that the ford runs a Fisher minute mount which is expensive unit but i was able to buy surplus stuff from a municipality and it worked well if youre just doing your own stuff the meyer is really good parts are cheap and plentiful and its a simple set up whatever you do you need at least a 2500 4x4 truck manual 4x4 is better and dont plow in overdrive the ford is a diesel the gmc is a 5.7 gas both do the job

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:07 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

A 3/4t - 1t single wheel with the heavy automatic. Gas power.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
biketopia

How much snow at time? You could use either of the trucks you have now if you wanted, or if you're looking for an excuse, here it is haha. Now, are you looking to keep it an old classic or move up into something a little more modern? Basics, 3/4 ton is fine, shortest wheelbase you can find if you're doing parking lots, turning radius saves time and shifts. Solid axle is nice but not manditory, I've pushed a lot with new GM trucks with indipendant front end and they work fine, just keep up on your maintenance. I prefer an auto for plowing, out of OD, manual 4x4. If you get a bigger heavier dully then you can maybe forgo 4x4 with the right tires and enough weight in the back. Either way I would put some sort of weight in the bed, even if it's just a few sand bags to help even out the weight distribution when driving with the plow up. We run boss plows at work and they have been pretty problem free except for the typical loose/corroded wiring from sitting all off season, but a quick test before the first snow and they're all good to go. A lot of the ones we have are the power V which is cool, but is more expensive, and heavier. Seems to be over kill for the snow we move. Having a V is nice for cutting a path in deep snow and you can also make a scoop with it for stacking snow, pushing in a scoop is very hard on the plow and truck. Also, composite plows are heavier than their steel counterparts, at least in the boss line up.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

one is a 1968 292 4 speed . There is the truck you want to use , add 500 lbs of sand bags in the bed and chains if you need them . A good used Western angle plow and your good to go , There are many plow upgrades but at what point do you spend when it just becomes as expensive as having it done by a contractor ? and let them go thru all the repairs and fuel not to mention time ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
K20super

I don't know what the parking lot looks like but we had a blazer that worked well if you have to turn a lot in tight spots due to the short wheel base
K20super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
LS short box

If you decide to use your current trucks I think you will struggle to find a plow frame mount unless it's custom built. If you have to go the custom mount route make sure it just doesn't mount from the front frame horns. The frame mount must also have a diagonal brace the goes back on the frame. I had to mod mine a bit since my Jeep is lifted 3". I added extended bump stops in the front because the weight of the plow when its up is pretty heavy.
If you buy a used plow (mine was) don't buy the old cable control style. Mine is control by wire. Newer ones are control by wireless. Used look for none beat on plows. I store mine indoors so mice and rain can't get at it.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #12
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
If you decide to use your current trucks I think you will struggle to find a plow frame mount unless it's custom built. If you have to go the custom mount route make sure it just doesn't mount from the front frame horns. The frame mount must also have a diagonal brace the goes back on the frame. I had to mod mine a bit since my Jeep is lifted 3". I added extended bump stops in the front because the weight of the plow when its up is pretty heavy.
If you buy a used plow (mine was) don't buy the old cable control style. Mine is control by wire. Newer ones are control by wireless. Used look for none beat on plows. I store mine indoors so mice and rain can't get at it.
Wireless? That sounds interesting. I am looking at an 86 3/4 4x4 right now, I will have to check the frame bracing.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 10-22-2021, 10:02 PM   #13
72c20customcamper

This is my setup . Mine has a wired remote wouldn’t buy a wireless myself ,have friends that bought western and another brands with wireless ,constantly changing the remote and or antenna module and they ain’t cheap My Brother in law converted his to wired last year .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:38 PM   #14
LS short box

My wired plow control is just a small joy stick box. Mounted it on the dash near the right side of the steering column. Just had to run the wires thru the firewall. Not tough. I wired the 12 volt plow relay so it only works when the Jeep is running. Same thing with the plow lights.