The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Bradydz

Any idea what this wire is for?

(if you saw this post previously, I reposted because it was moved to truck audio, which doesn't really even make sense..)

I bought the LMC keyless entry kit, and when I opened it, I understand what to do with everything, except this yellow wire. It connects to the controller away from the rest of the wiring harness, and it is not mentioned ANYWHERE in the instructions. Anyone have an idea what it's for? It splits into two wires, and is only about 4 feet long.
Attached Images

Bradydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Larry64

Re: Any idea what this wire is for?

I would call LMC & ask them.
Larry
Larry64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
joedoh

looks like shrink wrapped diodes in there. There are cars, like older BMW that take a positive pulse to lock and a negative pulse to unlock, so when I was installing a keyless on them I wold use just the positive lock output (that should be where that two pin plugs into, where the lock and unlock outputs are on the brain) and put diodes in just like that. Looks like a pre made harness for doing it. There are also cars with factory alarm systems that need the same setup.

The LMC keyless is probably just a generic keyless that they include with their relays and actuators to make it specific to your truck. I have a whole toolbox of stuff that "came in the box" and didnt fit the application, I say give it a chuck over the nearest shoulder.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Bradydz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
looks like shrink wrapped diodes in there. There are cars, like older BMW that take a positive pulse to lock and a negative pulse to unlock, so when I was installing a keyless on them I wold use just the positive lock output (that should be where that two pin plugs into, where the lock and unlock outputs are on the brain) and put diodes in just like that. Looks like a pre made harness for doing it. There are also cars with factory alarm systems that need the same setup.

The LMC keyless is probably just a generic keyless that they include with their relays and actuators to make it specific to your truck. I have a whole toolbox of stuff that "came in the box" and didnt fit the application, I say give it a chuck over the nearest shoulder.
So you're saying it should be fine without hooking it up to anything? I just wanted to make sure, so I don't have it all installed, and not having it work.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
joedoh

Id bet there is a second harness that plugs in there, with a blue and a green wire. It may be a separate harness with two bosch relays. give me a picture of the wiring diagram and I can help you.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
Bradydz

Quote:
Id bet there is a second harness that plugs in there, with a blue and a green wire. It may be a separate harness with two bosch relays. give me a picture of the wiring diagram and I can help you.
The diagram is TINY, and my phone won't get a big enough picture, to where it would be legible..
I just don't really understand what that could be used for, seeing as it splices into one wire. The left and right actuator, along with all the wires, are all on the main harness, with no yellow wires anywhere.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
Bradydz

Quote:
Wait, I just found something I must've skipped over before on the main harness. There are two wires that do not go to anything I have, and one wire is white, the other is brown. I just looked at the tiny wiring diagram, and the two I found go off to the left, and connect to a, "spare negative trigger", and where the wires are, the white says "unlock", the other says, "lock". Is this yellow wire with relays considered a negative trigger, you think?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
joedoh

no I would guess those as auxiliary outputs for trunk pop or triggering a remote start.

I think you are putting to much emphasis on this. If you cant get a picture of the wiring diagram I am just guessing, but it is really common to have universal parts in the box that arent used. Like I said, I have a toolbox full. Its also pretty common not to use every single wire on the plug, when I did keyless there were always wires I chopped off short, like positive door inputs for some ford models, or trunk pop wiring when the car didnt have a trunk, or dome light triggers when the customer didnt select that option.

the yellow with diodes is 90% likely to be not used. if you get a picture of the pinout or wiring diagram, I can tell you for sure. cheers!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
MTBADBOB

Could it be the signal wire for the remote??? I've seen these type of units have a long, seperate wire to extend for the pick-up of the remote signal from long distances. I'm with joedoh, leave it off & see if everything works ok.

Last edited by MTBADBOB; 01-18-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: lack of info
MTBADBOB is offline   Reply With Quote