The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #251
tobiahr

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

what did you use the set the rivets on the wing vent pivots?
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #252
truckzilla

Lookin' awesome Mike!
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #253
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
Lookin' awesome Mike!
Thank you!

I manage to get the windows in and the weatherstrip. I am on my way to get the windshield put in today.

also picked up a radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiahr View Post
what did you use the set the rivets on the wing vent pivots?
Right now I used the good old nut and bolt, but i will go back and install the riviets.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #254
truckzilla

Mike, that looks like the same radio I'm planning on using, but I'm putting in a dash out of a '66 C10 and modifiying it for a double din opening. How are you planning on popping that in your stock style dash, if you don't mind me asking. Preferrably with some pictures that you're so good at!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #255
mrhino
Account Suspended

I am so ****ing pissed. I was driving the truck back from getting the windshield installed. I thought I saw a crack in the windshield so I pulled over to check it closer and just before I got stopped the lower ball joint snapped and the whole truck dropped pushing the wheel up into the fender. and slamming the lower control arm into the asphalt. luckly I was almost stopped and not running down the road at 55. That would have been ugly. I ran across the street to a Napa and pick one up, and changed in about a hour with a jack and a few sockets. ( thats gota be some kinda record) The good old RockAuto Ball joint completely separated. the ball and stud in the spindle and the socket still firmly in place on the control arm. Complete failure on the part of the manufacture. Im pissed but it could have been worse. I will be replacing all the ball joints I just cant trust them. Im so glad it didnt break with the wife driving.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #256
McNutty

Wow.....
McNutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #257
Car'n'Guitars

Wow that sucks, glad your okay and the truck didn't get too much damage.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #258
Low Elco

At least the damage is minor. It still sucks, but at least it's not stuffed into a guardrail or something. Doesn't make it less heartbreaking. At least it's black, easy to match! Hope the fix goes easy.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #259
tobiahr

you could say it was a lucky break (note i had visions of david caruso putting his sunglasses on while he said that with the csi miami theme playing and actually had a meme created but decided not to clutter this wonderful build with that nonsense). I've seen it happen at highway speeds before and the results wern't pretty. Glad you wern't injured and the repairs were minimal. on the bright side this is a great opportunity for practicing metal work and paint blending skills
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #260
truckzilla

Wow Mike! Talk about a bummer! I'm also glad it wasn't at freeway speeds or that your wife wasn't behind the wheel! Count your lucky stars that it wasn't worst and I hope the repairs don't drag you down too much.

Now, about that windshield?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #261
mrhino
Account Suspended

Iv calm down now and can actully look at it again. its gonna need a new fender for sure. your right at least its black. and it could have been a lot worse.

now the windshield its looks great witha windshield in it. i took some pics of what i though or think is a crack. you guys tell me. its right where the antenna fixes to the glass and its looks like a perfect curve. it could be just where the antenna meets the glass but iv never seen one like it so whats your opinion/ is it cracked or the way its suppose to be.

Last edited by mrhino; 01-13-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #262
gmech

Bummer about the ball joint, thankfully it happened when it did though. Sucks when you try to keep the budget down and they cant even make a halfway reliable part. I just hope that Moog's that I put on mine still have the quality.
gmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #263
dhaymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
...so whats your opinion/ is it cracked or the way its suppose to be.

That's interesting (yeah, I know, probably not how you've been describing it ). At first look, I would say the windshield is fractured. But, looking at the pictures for a while, it sure looks like the arc is nearly perfect and you wouldn't expect the line to be so straight and clean. At this point, I'm inclined to believe it's part of the antenna attachment and the windshield is okay.

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #264
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaymaker View Post
That's interesting (yeah, I know, probably not how you've been describing it ). At first look, I would say the windshield is fractured. But, looking at the pictures for a while, it sure looks like the arc is nearly perfect and you wouldn't expect the line to be so straight and clean. At this point, I'm inclined to believe it's part of the antenna attachment and the windshield is okay.

after further review I dont think its broke either Just never seen one like that.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #265
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
Mike, that looks like the same radio I'm planning on using, but I'm putting in a dash out of a '66 C10 and modifiying it for a double din opening. How are you planning on popping that in your stock style dash, if you don't mind me asking. Preferrably with some pictures that you're so good at!
Here's where i plan on putting it. just needs a little duct tape trim.

been waiting on a 4dr harness from another board member 1774btcrew, This guy is the worst vender ever. EVER! he will not respond to emails unless they are a week old sometimes two. I dont think he has ever responded to a pm. Iv been messing with him over a month. I paid him 3 weeks ago even sent him the damn package label. still wont send it. says he's gonna ship it out but I have my doubts. Prolly when hell freezes over when or if I ever get it I will start wiring the keyless entry/ remote start I have for this thing. Damn You know I could have made my own harness by now.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #266
mcbassin
Still Learning

Sucks about the whole ball joint. I know of an Autozone ball joint failure my nephew had, it was brand new too. Caused him to hit the ditch at about 40. Did probably $3k damage. 2007 2500gmc. They told him at AZ that since the truck had a lift no warranty. Not sure where to buy good parts? Moog parts maybe?
Your truck looks great !
Posted via Mobile Device
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #267
mcbassin
Still Learning

Oops. Double post
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #268
mrhino
Account Suspended

oh and I put in a powered sub. while i waited for the filler to dry

Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #269
Igorsgonemadd

So what are you going to do about that air duct? Won't eliminating it cut down the air flow significantly?
Posted via Mobile Device
Igorsgonemadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #270
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorsgonemadd View Post
So what are you going to do about that air duct? Won't eliminating it cut down the air flow significantly?
Posted via Mobile Device
It would cut down on the amount airflow slightly. were talking about one vent. when I added the A/c I was figuring reconfiguring the vent routing anyway. With that vent not used I believe the other three up front would see a slight increase in velocity and/or volume. besides the truck never had A/C therefore there was not a vent there anyway, so my theory is we'll never miss it. At least thats what I tell myself.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #271
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

That looks like a defect in the glass. I've been following your build a good while now, you have too much time and money is a truck built for wifey to let that slide. I'd have to take it back to them. You're a lucky man, I only wish my wifey wanted a nice square.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #272
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
That looks like a defect in the glass. I've been following your build a good while now, you have too much time and money is a truck built for wifey to let that slide. I'd have to take it back to them. You're a lucky man, I only wish my wifey wanted a nice square.
I asked the guy at the body shop where i had it put in and he said thats the way it came. Iv never seen one like that.

got the autodimming comp/temp rear-veiw mirror wired up yesterday. Hopefully the fam will help me get the headliner in this weekend

Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #273
Brad18xx

Quote:
I asked the guy at the body shop where i had it put in and he said thats the way it came. Iv never seen one like that.

got the autodimming comp/temp rear-veiw mirror wired up yesterday. Hopefully the fam will help me get the headliner in this weekend

What did that mirror come from? how did you wire it up to work as a dimmer and get the compas and temp to work? if i was to do it what would i need to take off the truck i get it from?
Brad18xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #274
Organism_ike

My windshield has the exact same arc in it. I'm almost certain that it is not a defect, otherwise it's a very common one.
Posted via Mobile Device
416 Iron Heads
Performer Intake, Quadrajet, and Flowtech Long Tubes
TH350 2.73 10 Bolt
Organism_ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #275
luifer76

Quote:
so whats your opinion/ is it cracked or the way its suppose to be.
great looking project bro some nice work you're doing to the truck...... as far as the mark on the winshield i dont think is a crack or defect since my 73 has it in the same spot and is the same shape after noticing mine i asked a couple buddys of mine that have the antenna in their winshield and two of my buddys had the same mark on their truck so i felt a little better after that lol i think it has something to do with the antena being threre....... sorry about what happened to the fender btw....