The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #26
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Re: Anybody here the original owner? Post your truck's history here

I know most of the history of my truck. My uncle it bought it bradn new in 72 and for the first few years wouldn't haul anything in the bed. He finally started using it as a truck and when he built his house it even say dump truck duty.

I don't know the reason , but a few years before I got it,he took out the original 350/th350 and installed an 84 6.2 diesel and 700R4 trans. After letting it set for about 5 years he gave it to me. This is how it looked when I drove it home.

I started to fix some rust and get it looking half way presentable, so this is how it looks now.

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #27
bagged91
Out draggin'

I'm not the original owner but I know the history of most of my vehicles...

PIC # 1 My 71' Burb was bought new in Salem, NJ. The fella used the truck for hunting, fishing & general transportation. He let his grandson use the truck to go back & forth to college at the University of Delaware where he(grandson) was sideswiped at some point. Grandson then proceeded to neglect to check the oil & blew the motor up. I purchased the truck, still titled in the original owners name from his son(runs a wrecking yard) for $200. I have the bill of sale, dealers brochure and all service records on the truck.

PIC # 2 My 73' SS Skytop Nova I am the second owner of. The car was bought new by a woman in Chicago at Nickey Chevrolet. The car was ordered with 350 vette motor, T350 & 4.10 posi. Also with AM/FM, bench seat, column shift & the "skytop" folding sunroof option. I purchased the car in the summer of 1982 with a blown up motor from my dad's friends impound lot for the towing/storage bill of $225. It had 42K miles on it then. It has a little over 48K on it now...

Pic #3 & 4 My old 72' Cheyenne Super was bought new in Runnemede, NJ and driven for 15,427 miles before the original owners grandson inherited the truck. He then pulled the motor out & put it into his Monte Carlo SS. The truck went onto the front lawn for the scrap man. I ended up buying the truck for $100 but couldn't pry the motor back out of him, I even offered him a nice 4 bolt main 350 & to swap the motors for him... Truck is gone now thanks to the ex...

Pic # 5 The 72 Burb I am the second owner of. This was bought new at Reedman in Langhorn, Pa and used as transportation until the late 70's when it started pulling double duty as the push truck for a local dirt racetrack(Bridgeport Speedway). It did this for about a decade when he decided to park the truck. He parked it in a bad spot & when I found it, the body was destroyed by rust. The original 402/T400 was still in it and it still runs and it is my parts donor truck... The 52 Chevy 2dr Fastback(I know it has a 51 grille in it) my dad purchased at a farm auction back in 1981 for $135. The car had sat in a barn since 1957 when the owner died. He had bought the car new in December 1951 and drove it until he passed. My dad bought the car with 6,339.9 original, documented miles on it... The 66' Catalina was bought new by my Grandmother. We have all documents on this car. We also have her brothers car which he bought new(1970 Bonneville) with all documentation...
Attached Images

72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"

Last edited by bagged91; 02-06-2007 at 03:53 PM.
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #28
burkeens

I wasn’t born at the time, but my uncle (technically his wheel alignment shop) bought this 68 new in 1967. When he retired years later, it became titled to him individually, then to me about eight years ago. It’s a member of the family.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

burkeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #29
FirstOwner69

WOW! This thread is almost as old as I am. I think I'm the first poster who actually bought his/her truck new.

When I was 24, my wife and I bought our CST/20 at Barton's Chevrolet (now defunct) in Yorba Linda, California, in November, 1969. It was a "left over" 1969. Its purpose in our lives was to serve as a camper hauler. I have the original sales contract, the P-O-P, every receipt for service and parts, and a record of almost every gallon of gas purchased. It had been semi stored in our garage from the late 80s when I started restoring it May of 2010 (118,713 miles). The job was complete in October, 2013.

Below are pics of the sales agreement, the truck with the camper when we'd had it a week, exterior and interior before restoration and the exterior after restoration.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #30
FirstOwner69

... and the interior and underhood post restoration.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #31
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeens View Post
I wasn’t born at the time, but my uncle (technically his wheel alignment shop) bought this 68 new in 1967. When he retired years later, it became titled to him individually, then to me about eight years ago. It’s a member of the family.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's an awesome 68 where was it built? If it was from tarrytown could be a cousin to our 68.
Attached Images

Last edited by KQQL IT; 07-06-2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Pic
KQQL IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #32
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

My forefathers were the original owners. Read the story in my signature below under "GRANDTRUCK"
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #33
burkeens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
That's an awesome 68 where was it built? If it was from tarrytown could be a cousin to our 68.
St. Louis, but second cousins anyway!
burkeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #34
lutronjim

Original owner

Working as a soils engineer I bought a 53 Chey truck. Got married and my wife convinced me we needed another car not a truck. She won.

I criped about missing that truck so much she yelled at me to go buy another - but new one.

Bought my 70 C10 307ci 3 on tree. 240k on first engine - leaked oil everywhere maybe through cast iron. Many many trips to Ormond Beach and Daytona. A lot of these miles were with OD tranny I found.

Neighbors son needed DUI money and he installed a 'project engine' at a reasonable price. It looked good but miles were uncertain.

Daughter got license and wanted car - all her friends had new ones. I told her she could drive truck - she didn't believe me. I told her could drive it, hitch rides, or walk. She begrudgingly drove and discovered boys like trucks so every thing was fine. She abused the poor old truck. That engine got 100k or so and cam lost a few lobes. Put in cam and relapped valves and it got to just over 140k.

That's when I had friend install 'connect and cruise' LC9 60e. Put in rebuilt speedo to solve noise and get odometer to 0. Added AC and power brakes then disk in front. Currently at 48k. Now gets 21/22 on road vs 14/16.

Now more fun to drive than ever if I could just get the damn hanging disk brakes fixed. J have added slots since this picture.
Attached Images

lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:01 AM   #35
steves1967

Mom and Dad bought ours brand new in 71. It had a cab-over camper on it from Pilgrim. It was built in Fremont, Ca and sold at the Fremont Chevy dealer. Dad has since passed, and the truck is mine. Still has the original 350/Th350/Dana 60 4.11 drivetrain in it, although the engine is really tired now.

Its the only thing my Dad left me, and I know it needs a full rebuild/ paint but I cant bring myself to messing with it too much- its pretty sentimental to me. Ive built several different engines for it- never installed them. I've bought 3 set of rims and tires for it- never installed them. I did rebuild the front suspension and add 2" drop spindles (still have the originals) and I pulled some leafs out of the rear (still have those too) but that's it.
Attached Images

'19 Chevy CC 4x4 Duramax Dually
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #36
doowopper

I bought my 1969 C20 from Jack Head Chevrolet in Alhambra Cal in July '69. Baby blue like my eyes. 350/4 speed and 4.11s. I ordered lots of hd stuff but didn't get things that I now wish it had. My motivation was hauling dirt bikes out to the desert. Soon after, I got a used cabover camper from a family friend. A neighbor's uncle was selling a 1969 14' Shasta trailer so I bought that and we sold the camper and bought a Stockland cab high shell. I parked it a few years ago with just over 100k on it. It was starting to smoke so i bought a 5.3 LS to upgrade it. I haven't started that as I'm working inside the house. Knowing me, if I started playing with the truck I'd never finish the house. I plan on new paint and seat covers, some handles, the mirror, and front discs. I have all the paperwork still, as well as the trailer. An added plus is that it's old enough to not need a smog check.
I also have a 1956 Chevy 2 door post (Delray?) that I bought from a dealer in 1967 who took it in trade from the original owner. As i recall I paid about $250 for it. A buddy painted it around '78. It was parked in the garage and after the divorce my ex wouldn't let me keep it the garage so I drug it to where i was living and now it needs a total redo. In the mid 70's I put a 327 in it. Pretty quick for a powerslide tranny.
doowopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #37
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by doowopper View Post
I bought my 1969 C20 from Jack Head Chevrolet in Alhambra Cal in July '69. Baby blue like my eyes. 350/4 speed and 4.11s. I ordered lots of hd stuff but didn't get things that I now wish it had. My motivation was hauling dirt bikes out to the desert. Soon after, I got a used cabover camper from a family friend. A neighbor's uncle was selling a 1969 14' Shasta trailer so I bought that and we sold the camper and bought a Stockland cab high shell. I parked it a few years ago with just over 100k on it. It was starting to smoke so i bought a 5.3 LS to upgrade it. I haven't started that as I'm working inside the house. Knowing me, if I started playing with the truck I'd never finish the house. I plan on new paint and seat covers, some handles, the mirror, and front discs. I have all the paperwork still, as well as the trailer. An added plus is that it's old enough to not need a smog check.
I also have a 1956 Chevy 2 door post (Delray?) that I bought from a dealer in 1967 who took it in trade from the original owner. As i recall I paid about $250 for it. A buddy painted it around '78. It was parked in the garage and after the divorce my ex wouldn't let me keep it the garage so I drug it to where i was living and now it needs a total redo. In the mid 70's I put a 327 in it. Pretty quick for a powerslide tranny.
Welcome aboard the first owner club and forum. We need pics of the truck and trailer.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:44 PM   #38
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeens View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
In 1968, my dad bought the twin to that truck new at Claude Withers Chevrolet in Harrison, AR. He only kept it a year and traded it for a 1969 the same color.

I loved that truck then and I love yours now.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #39
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
WOW! This thread is almost as old as I am. I think I'm the first poster who actually bought his/her truck new.
Congratulations! Very impressive that you still own the same CST Custom Camper. Couple of questions if you don't mind. By the way it was optioned, you seem to have been an experienced truck buyer. Did you own a pickup previous to this one? Many first time pickup buyers, buy the wrong truck, unless they are guided by a good truck salesman. Did you pick out all the options or ?. Where you ever tempted to trade in on a newer model pickup when new options and features were made available?
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #40
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Congratulations! Very impressive that you still own the same CST Custom Camper. Couple of questions if you don't mind. By the way it was optioned, you seem to have been an experienced truck buyer. Did you own a pickup previous to this one? Many first time pickup buyers, buy the wrong truck, unless they are guided by a good truck salesman. Did you pick out all the options or ?. Where you ever tempted to trade in on a newer model pickup when new options and features were made available?
This '69 was the first truck we bought. The options (especially the buckets) attracted me since I wanted something heavy duty that would carry a camper but still be "sporty". It was on the lot and met that criteria. More luck than skill. However, I always wished it had leaf springs which would have made for a more stable camper foundation. The truck was semi retired when we got an '86 crew cab dually. We've owned 2002, 2006 and 2015 Chevy duallys since. Duallys are the only way to go when it comes to large cab over campers. We also still have the original '69 camper we picked up the day after the truck purchase. The camper was retired in 2002 when we bought a Lance camper.

Here are a couple recent pictures of the camper.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 12-04-2020 at 11:15 PM.