The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
jcwren

L6/SBC/BBC/Trans/Driveshaft/Crossmember Swap Matrix

I see lots of piecemeal info from where someone says something like "I've got an L6 with a 3-speed Saginaw, and I want 454 with a 700R4, what do I need?" and such.

Has ansyone ever considered consolidating this into a big "I am here, I want to go there" matrix to figure out what you need for the swap, what can remain the same, etc?

In my case, L6 with a 3-speed Saginaw, and I want to go to a L6 with a TH350. I can (and will) search the the forums to find out if I need a different crossmember (and which one), and if I've got to change the driveshaft length or not.

But it seems like it'd be pretty cool to point everyone at an Excel or Google spreadsheet, and say "This has everything you need to know".
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
old51sedan

Re: L6/SBC/BBC/Trans/Driveshaft/Crossmember Swap Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwren View Post
I see lots of piecemeal info from where someone says something like "I've got an L6 with a 3-speed Saginaw, and I want 454 with a 700R4, what do I need?" and such.

Has ansyone ever considered consolidating this into a big "I am here, I want to go there" matrix to figure out what you need for the swap, what can remain the same, etc?

In my case, L6 with a 3-speed Saginaw, and I want to go to a L6 with a TH350. I can (and will) search the the forums to find out if I need a different crossmember (and which one), and if I've got to change the driveshaft length or not.

But it seems like it'd be pretty cool to point everyone at an Excel or Google spreadsheet, and say "This has everything you need to know".
I'm thinking the 3 speed and the Th350 may be the same length, if not your trans mount will slid back and forth, there are different holes for it. As far as the drive shaft I'm not sure. I just removed my TH350 and installed a 200-R4 and all I did was move the mount back about 6" and the original drive shaft slid back in and bolted right up. If you already have both transmissions all you need to do is measure.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
jgrote

Remember that TH350's came in long and short output shaft. That will obviously make a difference. IDK which is the same length as the 3 speed. I know the TH350 short shaft that I put in my 55 sedan was a little longer than the 3 speed I took out. I had to get the DS shortened about an inch IIRC.
jgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #4
jcwren

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
Remember that TH350's came in long and short output shaft. That will obviously make a difference. IDK which is the same length as the 3 speed. I know the TH350 short shaft that I put in my 55 sedan was a little longer than the 3 speed I took out. I had to get the DS shortened about an inch IIRC.
The 6" tail shaft version is 27 11/16", the 9" is 30 11/16", and the 12" is 33 27/32".

I see posts where people say the Saginaw is the same length as the 6" version, but I haven't found anything that actually shows a specified length.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote