The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
duwem

1950 Chevy Stock to Hot Rod Project

Here is the 1950 Chevy as I picked it up:

Engine is has been replaced in the past and is a 56-62 235 thats 12 volt and pressure lube. Engine runs good, but carb need to be rebuilt since the accelerator pump is weak. Radiator was also replaced with a pressurized one.

Its a 4 speed on the floor.

Truck came with some VW bucket seats which I have already replaced with a Chevy Astro Van Seat (will post more pictures/details below)

When I got it it sat really low (as pictured) in the rear, to the point the rear tires would rub on the fender lip. The rear springs were missing a number of leaves, so I have since replaced those and got it up higher. Still need to go through and replace the shackles and bushings. Last picture shows the new rear ride height. Front is the same situation, missing leaves, so I'm looking for the missing ones, or a complete set since it bottoms out over bumps.

Wheels are not my style, but they are there so they will stay for now.

The body is in pretty good shape (drove 500 miles to pick it up). Some repairs needed on the rear fenders. The drives door has been overopened a few times and there is a crease in that cab piece where the lip hit. I will replace that part and the door hinges. Also have picked up a set of 1 piece window glass doors to replace the ones that are on there that have the vent windows. Going to rebuild the latches and window regulators before putting them on the truck.

I will get into the plans of the truck more in the future, but I want to clean up the body, do a whole drivetrain swap (thinking a 4.2L Trail Blazer engine and 4l60E trans) Will do some independent suspension and maybe a 4 link in the rear.

Want the truck to do 75 comfortably and be a hit at car shows.
Attached Images

duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
duwem

Re: 1950 Chevy Stock to Hot Rod Project

Here are some pictures of the seat.

It was one of the quick release van seats with the latches. Cut the bottoms of the seat supports off to match the truck floor. Welded on 1/4 x 1.5" steel to the bottom and bolted to the cab floor.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
duwem

This is basically what I'm shooting for, minus the air ride.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
duwem

Few more pictures of what I have in mind for a goal:
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
72Mountaineer

What year Astro van is that seat from?
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
MarKist

Thumbs up Re: 1950 Chevy Stock to Hot Rod Project

yeah those seats are working just loose the headrest's and your in there

oh well,..you'll have that!!
MarKist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
duwem

Seat is from a 96.

Here is some other discussion about seats, including another astro seat in that purple truck I posted (post 16)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433089
Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
duwem

Time for a quick update. Unfortunatly I dont have the time or $$ to have large updates often.

I have the rear leaf springs out of the truck so I can rebuild the bushing and put new shackles on.

While they were out I took them all apart and sandblasted and painted each individual leaf. Got one side painted and back together. The stack is 1/2" shorter than when I started, so thats how much crap was in between them all.

Also got a bug to wash and try polishing the truck to see how the paint would look. Some elbow greas and polishing compound and I got the right half of the front clip done so far. Looks pretty good, I think its "hugger orange"

Too bad there is a bunch of pimer on the cab corners, front of the hood and the rear pass fender from the PO, but maybe I will try to color match those spots for the time being till I go full out and strip everything to bare metal and paint it up NICE.

Also took the carb apart and found it was partially rebuilt, but the power valve was stuck and probably why it was backfiring out the intake when I accelerated. Going to try it now that its loose then tear it all down and soak it and do a new rebuild kit.

Have a list of stuff ot order, going with Classic Parts. Shouldn't have any problem finding enough stuff to get to the 375 to get free shipping!
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
duwem

The UPS man dropped off my first (of many I’m sure) parts box yesterday. Came from Classic Parts.

Doesn’t look like much for $500, but it’s a lot of the stuff I need to get it on the road this spring (I hope)

The piece on the top is the patch panel for in front of the driver’s door. The one on the bottom is a lower door skin for one of the doors I got at the junk yard.

Speaking of doors, I started working on one of my single piece glass (no vent windows) doors I bought. The one for the passenger side will need the patch panel.

Now looking at what independent front suspension to put under the truck.

Also need to get the title transferred, license plates ordered and insurance before I can legally drive it on the road.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
duwem

Look what I'm picking up this weekend....

Pretty Stoked!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
duwem

Questions, comments, concerns, input?

I feel like I'm the only one participating in this thread.....
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
RootBeer 6117

Looks like a corvette exploded, Guess you could call this a box truck?!
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
chev3600

Looks like a real solid start. Are you mounting the suspension custom or with some sort of kit?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
pockets

mind if I ask what you paid for the vette parts? i've toyed with the idea of getting a vette rear for a while now
Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
lo72
Truck Junkie

This thread is one I'll be following closely. Looks to be a good solid truck to begin with and the vette stuff is sweet. Ive been searching craigs list daily looking for 48-50 to build myself. Most of the kits for adapting this suspension is very pricey at least to me anyway. I'm working on a 85 chevy c-10 now,but someday i'll be in a AD! Keep it going with lots of pics and details we must have details!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
lo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
duwem

I need to come up with a few parts for the complete vette front and rear, so it will come out to be about $1000 which appears to be the going price if you can find something local. Ebay will get you there too, but then theres shipping and the rear is large.

I'm planning on Flat Out Engineering front and rear crossmembers.

I know in the end it may not be much cheaper, but I figure Vette vs mustang 2 and a 4 link I will have a lot more to show for (polished front and rear components, coil over shocks, a truck that actually HANDLES).
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #17
duwem

Been working on rebuilding the stock leaf spring rear end. Sandblasted, primed and painted each leaf, new bushings and shackles. Pretty much ready to put on the truck now. This will be my temporary setup till I get enough saved up to do the vette rear swap. Will need a different tranny (stock one from 1950 is a torque tube) and custom driveshaft.

Also started cleaning up the vette parts I picked up last weekend.

Pictures are just wiped down with brakecleen. No polishing yet. Cleaning up quite well.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
duwem

Got my roll pan installed and tail light brackets and lights put on.

I dont think the roll pan will be the final solution, so I will just screw it on for now. I would like to do something that is more creative/less off the shelf. Mabye with integrated tail light and some other neat things.

Lights are stockers and the brackets are slightly modified stocks. The tail light are both right side so the left wouldnt have the licence plate light in it.

They are actually both upside down I think, but I will just leave them for now.

The tail gate is a real pile, but its the color of the truck. I want to get a new one eventually that has hidden latches.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
duwem

I'm still alive and still have the truck.

Well, last night I put the most miles on the truck I have since getting it. Probably 30 minutes of driving.

There is coolant coming from somewhere, need to isolate the overflow line and put a catch can on it to see if that is where. Going to also tighten up the hose clamp on the bottom radiator hose since that is where things are wet (also where the overflow line is though). It doesn’t look too bad, so I’m not super worried about it.

Temp stabilized around 180, so I don’t think there are any overheating concerns.

Carb is still too lean, need to run with ½ choke or more during acceleration. This is my second carb, which probably needs rebuilding as well. Attempted to rebuild the first one, but the kit I got has a different accelerator pump hookup than what is there so that didn’t work. Also picked up a Carter carb that is in rough shape, but the carters are supposed to be better, so if I can get that one rebuild that may be a good solution.

Stopped at a buddies place and shut the truck off. Did not have enough battery to restart. We found a loose connection and then were able to get it started by jumping. Might have just not been charging, or I have a charging system problem. Will need to check volts when its running. The alternator belt is in rough shape and shows signs of slipping so that might be part of it. Will replace that.

Steering is dicey at higher speeds. All the ball joints are adjustable so you can tighten them up without replacing them so might try to do that along with any adjustments to the steering box.

Also working on cutting rivet heads off and getting all the unneeded brackets off the second frame I purchased so I can box it and put in the vette crossmembers.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
oldman3

Caught your post today, glad to see your still working on your baby. The vette suspension should be real nice. Will the kit put everything in the correct location, or will you need to put body, front end and bed on to check??
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #21
duwem

Here are the details on the frame etc:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456481

The crossmember kits would located the axles correctly. I may look at moving the rear slightly (up to 1" front or back) to better center the wheels in the fender openings.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #22
T Hilde

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post
Questions, comments, concerns, input?

I feel like I'm the only one participating in this thread.....
My thead goes that way too. I judge it off the views and not the replies.

I think the tail light brackets are supposed to go on the back of the stake pocket. Otherwise, it's looking great!
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
duwem

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hilde View Post
My thead goes that way too. I judge it off the views and not the replies.

I think the tail light brackets are supposed to go on the back of the stake pocket. Otherwise, it's looking great!
By back I assume you mean front (opposite of what I have)?

That would look better, good catch!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #24
T Hilde

yup, opposite of what you have.
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #25
duwem

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hilde View Post
yup, opposite of what you have.
Thanks, switched them around and it tucks the lights in closer and hides the brackets!