The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
sircrunch

Rock Auto WARNING

When I bought my 75 GMC I noticed someone very recently had installed a new front right brake hose. I knew it was fairly new because it was shiny and new looking against the rest of the truck's undercarriage. A few days after I bought it I was underneath the truck and I noticed that this hose was already starting to go bad. The rubber was starting to pull away from the metal crimps. The brand name of the hose "SUNSONG". Chinese junk. I wondered why anyone would put such a cheap part on such a nice truck.

So I decided to treat the truck to a brake job with new hoses. I hopped on Rock Auto and selected the best brands. Raybestos and AC Delco parts filled my cart. Interestingly enough, SUNSONG was a very cheap option, but I just laughed and said "never".

One week later my package arrives, two raybestos boxes (front left and front right) and one AC Delco box (Rear center)

Here's where it gets weird. In one raybestos box was a high quality raybestos hose. The quality was apparent in just looking and feeling the part, gold anodized ends, etc.. Inside the OTHER raybestos box was a cheap Chinese SUNSONG part.

And as if that isn't bad enough, I opened up the third hose, an AC DELCO box.... only to find a SUNSONG part. I was furious. I had just waited one week to receive the wrong parts. Cheaper versions of what I paid good money for.

So I call rock auto and I tell the guy: "I didn't get the parts I ordered". But he says "yes you did" and I said NO I didn't, and proceeded to tell him that inferior parts were inside the premium part box. He says I'm sorry but you got what you ordered, and went on this whole spill about manufacturers sourcing parts from other companies, and that its "such a common thing" etc. etc. I argued with the guy for about 20 minutes but it was no use.

I asked him to a) send me the exact name brand part I ordered or B) refund the difference in price in the AC Delco part I ordered and the Sunsong part I could have ordered. No, he said, he wouldn't do that. He kept saying I technically received an AC delco part. No amount of arguing my point to this guy would help. I was extremely unsatisfied and I was surprised at the persistence of the operator that was so unwilling to make it right.

I was very angry. I asked him how he would feel if he ordered Oakley sunglasses and he received sunglasses out of a Mcdonalds happy meal. He said if Oakley sourced sunglasses from mcdonalds and Oakley tested and confirmed that the mcdonalds sunglasses were of equal or better quality, then he would be satisfied. I replied, bull$%(*^.

So in conclusion. Do not order parts from rock auto, and if you must, order them for vehicles you don't really care about, and order the absolute cheapest part brand available, because that's probably what you'll get even if you order the premium brand. If you order your parts locally, at least you can open the box right there and decline if its not right.
sircrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Rock Auto WARNING

We all hate cheap inferior parts, but I don't see how this is Rock Auto's fault. If AC Delco is putting junk in their boxes I would be calling them.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
sircrunch

My first thought was that these parts had been mixed up into the wrong box at the warehouse or someone had returned the parts in the wrong box and put back in stock at the warehouse or whatever. But IF its true that both raybestos AND ac delco are putting sunsong parts in their boxes, that is really despicable. But the bottom line is, if you shop locally you can check the part. On rock auto you wait a week, get the wrong part, and you're stuck with the inferior part unless you want to wait LONGER and go thru a HASSLE of returning the part.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
ron350

If you go to dealership or a AC Delco distributor you will not get SUNSONG junk.

This is on Rock Auto they are now selling seconds and rebooted junk.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
SkinnyG

I've found ~used~ parts in the box from my local auto parts store.

Sometimes meatheads return the part for a refund, but the stock boy lackeys don't check the contents, and they get resold.

I returned the used part and told them about it. Two years later I needed another one, and they sold me the SAME used part in the SAME box I returned.

One time I ordered stainless braided hoses for a car, only to find the parts were incorrect. I returned them, and ordered a different set. They gave me the ~same~ box that I had returned.

I wouldn't throw out an entire company because of ONE issue, that might be an entirely different story than you thought. Sometimes crap happens. I'm sure ~you've~ make mistakes too, and we still like you.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
sircrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I wouldn't throw out an entire company because of ONE issue, that might be an entirely different story than you thought. Sometimes crap happens. I'm sure ~you've~ make mistakes too, and we still like you.
I know I know I'm not perfect myself

But This is the 2nd time it happened to me. Once I ordered a left and right ball joint for my Dodge shadow. They came in identical boxes but the parts were different. Obviously different, in color, shape, feel, and even one had a grease fitting and one didn't. This isn't an isolated incident. Rock auto is making a habit of this.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
andrewmp6

Yeah this kinda thing happens locally and online.I bet someone bought them swapped out parts returned them with the cheapo stuff i the box the company never inspected it fully and restocked them.Or they pull a walmart and tell the parts companies ill only buy your stuff at my price or ill drop you fully,And the part company finds a way to meet their prices.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
SkinnyG

I can't tell you the number of times I've found a used pair of shoes in the box at Walmart.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
foamypirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircrunch View Post
I know I know I'm not perfect myself

But This is the 2nd time it happened to me. Once I ordered a left and right ball joint for my Dodge shadow. They came in identical boxes but the parts were different. Obviously different, in color, shape, feel, and even one had a grease fitting and one didn't. This isn't an isolated incident. Rock auto is making a habit of this.
Keep in mind, RockAuto gets a lot of old stock; it's how they keep their prices down. You may receive something that was manufactured 10 years ago, but they only have one, so the other is a recent manufacture, possibly by a different supplier, but with the same part number.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
I can't tell you the number of times I've found a used pair of shoes in the box at Walmart.
If you've noticed, they've all but eliminated shoes in boxes, they hang them on hooks now.

I used to love Rock Auto until they started charging shipping fees for every place a part comes from... why should I have to pay multiple shipping fees because they have crap scattered all over?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
AnotherWs6

I love rockauto because they have so many parts and offer multiple options for each thing that I need so I can choose the manufacturer. So I enter my vehicle information, navigate to my desired part, see the list of options available and then start copying and pasting into Amazon who usually has the same parts at the same price shipped free in two days. Modern world, I'm not paying their stupid shipping prices. Besides, if I decide I want to return the part for whatever reason it's a piece of cake to online at Amazon
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
bluex

I've had decent luck with rock auto, but that does suck about the cheap hoses in a name brand box. I'd have went over that guys head to a manager.

On a side note since you local check out www.upstategmtrucks.com and come hang out with us one weekend. That is if you dont already know about the club.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
Tom
driving is in my blood

They don't hassle you on returns, just return the parts. It does suck, but its online ordering. You want something right, do it yourself and in person. And pay more usually. That's the flip side.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #14
jjzepplin

I have only used them once and had a good experience. OEM parts in OEM boxes and good cheap prices too. I heard about them on this site and am pleased. If I get the wrong part I will just keep trying. My wife sure loves the cold air.Even with the quirky shipping I saved a ton.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
Shady Rascal

In the last 3 years I have ordered 56 times from Rockauto. That's a damn lot of parts.

Not one problem with Rockauto ever. You choose what you want, they pluck the boxes off of the shelves and ship them. If the parts are low quality it's on the brand, not Rockauto.

I quit buying much locally when I went to my local jobber warehouse and bought 450 dollars worth of genuine AC Delco air conditioning parts for my 88 model truck. Once I unboxed them I found every single part to be either made in China or Mexico. Delco just sold out. That's all. It wasn't the jobber's fault. Nor is it Rockauto's fault when a reputable brand sinks down into the mud by sourcing crap from the lowest priced manufacturer and puts it in their nice boxes.

Last edited by Shady Rascal; 08-08-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
Jake Wade

I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of parts from Rock Auto and NEVER a problem.

My only complaint is the shipping charges as someone already mentioned.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #17
Shady Rascal

Just browsing through my Rockauto account to look at my past orders.

Shipping charges aren't any issue once you figure out the game. You just have to make sure that you choose items that ship from the same warehouse. Rockauto puts a little symbol by every part that comes from the same location as the parts already in your cart. Even when I have to order from multiple locations though, it's still about 40 percent cheaper than my shop account prices at the local parts stores.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #18
slowcpe

I made my first purchase from Rock Auto a couple of weeks ago: new shocks and springs for the Tahoe. I compared with multiple places and they were the cheapest, including shipping from two different locations (I was not a fan but still cheaper).

I have a hard time buying car parts from Amazon. I purchase two window motors from them as they were half price from all the local parts store. If you buy them from the parts store then they come with a lifetime warranty. Amazon: 90 days. I had one go out 10 months later and the other a year after that. Doorman would not warranty either item either. They have since been replaced (5-years ago) from Orielly's and had one replaced for free just a few months ago.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #19
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I have new brake hoses in the shop for my 85, AC Delco from Rock Auto. I checked them last night and mine are sunsong/made in China too. I emailed them about it, we'll see what they say.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 08-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #20
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

I don't know that this will directly help, but worth a shot. AC Delco is serious about not having counterfeit parts with their name on them. If it is an issue with Rock Auto switching boxes, maybe they will do something about it. From their site:

GLOBAL BRAND PROTECTION TEAM

If you suspect that the automotive parts you have purchased are counterfeit, please send an email to: gm_global_brand_protection@gm.com

Be sure to include as much information as possible as well as pictures of the part and with the packaging you have purchased.

ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION WILL REMAIN STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL.

Please save the part, the packaging, the invoice and the receipt until we contact you (if you choose to be contacted).

YOU SHOULD RECEIVE A RESPONSE WITHIN FIVE (5) BUSINESS DAYS.

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #21
friscobob

I recently bought "professional grade" flexible brake lines for my 81 C10 and ,you guessed it, Samsong. They were in better condition than the 35 year old originals on the truck so I did change them out, here's hoping for the best.
Bob
friscobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #22
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1 View Post
I don't know that this will directly help, but worth a shot. AC Delco is serious about not having counterfeit parts with their name on them. If it is an issue with Rock Auto switching boxes, maybe they will do something about it. From their site:

GLOBAL BRAND PROTECTION TEAM

If you suspect that the automotive parts you have purchased are counterfeit, please send an email to: gm_global_brand_protection@gm.com

Be sure to include as much information as possible as well as pictures of the part and with the packaging you have purchased.

ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION WILL REMAIN STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL.

Please save the part, the packaging, the invoice and the receipt until we contact you (if you choose to be contacted).

YOU SHOULD RECEIVE A RESPONSE WITHIN FIVE (5) BUSINESS DAYS.
I haven't heard back from them yet, if I don't I'll try this link. At this point for all I know it's all above-board and normal. My feelings on the matter are the brand carries a premium in price, so there's no point ponying up the extra dough if you're only getting the name on the box and not the part. I can buy house-brand parts and keep more of my money. I'm not in a twist over this, I just want to hear back from them. It is something to be aware of though and I might have to give up buying their parts through the mail.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 08-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #23
gmachinz
Account Suspended

No light of the AC Delco debactle unfolding (which does seem suspicious I'll admit) Id suggest sticking with tried and true local parts store stuff for little ticket items like brake hoses....maybe call the dealer, get the GM part # for the hoses then start cross referencing online....you'd be surprised what you can still get!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #24
lilpoindexter

Quote:
I had to buy steel toe boots for work..so I went to walmart....opened up a box of boots in my size...boom...some dirty old ass boots. They looked like a homeless guy got some new steel toe boots that day. There were three of us in the shoe section at the same time...we all fell out laughing.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #25
Wgesnerjr

A couple of months ago, I bought all 3 brake hoses from the same retailer on eBay. They were available locally, but eBay was cheaper. All 3 arrived together in the same shipping box and they were all the same brand, Dorman in separate Dorman boxes. They all look like new/never used parts. The part numbers checked out and I checked them against the originals-they looked the same so I put them on a shelf until the rebuild commenced.

Like you, I figured that the name on the box was the same as the part inside.

Well, no.

Just started putting stuff together and found the same thing. The rear hose has chrome ends and Sunsong hose in the middle. The two fronts have brass/gold ends and hoses WITHOUT Sunsong on them.

As an added note of interest, the fronts hoses have a date printed on each of them of 2010. The rear has a date of 2012. I wonder if something changed around 2011?

I will run these for now but I will but inspecting the rear one on a regular basis.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote