The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #151
J3rm0ff

Re: 72 Swb starting from the bottom

Got the engine and trans set into the frame mainly to get them out of the way but it does look good in there
Attached Images

J3rm0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #152
J3rm0ff

Haven’t accomplished a lot lately. I did get most of the brake lines ran. And after trying to attack in a couple different ways I got the bulkhead in for the heater and ac lines. Will have to do some reconstruction of that area but I was planning on sealing off the fresh air vents anyways. And I lucked out and got a 3D printer for Christmas so I’ve been playing with that a lot.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #153
J3rm0ff

Got the bulkhead area all patched and painted and got the skin welded back. Really happy with how this turned out.
Attached Images

Last edited by J3rm0ff; 01-10-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #154
69GMC2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3rm0ff View Post
Got the bulkhead area all patched and painted and got the skin welded back. Really happy with how this turned out.
That looks awesome. I'm wondering though, have you test fitted the hoses on the inside yet to see how much room you have to tighten the fittings?
69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #155
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMC2004 View Post
That looks awesome. I'm wondering though, have you test fitted the hoses on the inside yet to see how much room you have to tighten the fittings?
I did test fit all fittings and was able to get to everything. it is snug in there but it will work. I was considering making an access panel for the side to easily access everything with the fender off and then make a gasket to seal it back up after everything is done.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #156
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

This is where I want to run my ac/heater hoses. What bulkhead adapter did you use? Looks great.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #157
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
This is where I want to run my ac/heater hoses. What bulkhead adapter did you use? Looks great.
Thanks it was a little extra work but I think it’ll be well worth it in the end. It is the vintage air bulkhead. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-386600-mba/
Old 01-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #158
cornerstone

I think every guy who is wanting the super clean firewall look wants to do this mod, me included. Initially I shied away because I just couldn't visualize how the hose routing would snake around to the back of the evaporator in the cab. I get pretty hung up unless I can visualize things. Thank you for these pictures and links to the other fittings and things needed to finish the job...
I would love to see the rest of the installation. I already have smoothed my firewall using the Vintage Air plate that comes with the pre-drilled holes, but I'd gladly re-work my firewall if I had the confidence of knowing how to do what you are doing. Plus I'd have the added benefit of getting a clean coat of paint inside my cowl.
Really love to see such high quality work like this! It makes me strive to do a better job.

Brian

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 01-08-2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: forgot to compliment his work
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #159
SCOTI

Quote:
I did test fit all fittings and was able to get to everything. it is snug in there but it will work. I was considering making an access panel for the side to easily access everything with the fender off and then make a gasket to seal it back up after everything is done.
My opinion? Go ahead & do it now before assembly & paint. If/when a service issue comes up later, you'll be much happier you did.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #160
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
I think every guy who is wanting the super clean firewall look wants to do this mod, me included. Initially I shied away because I just couldn't visualize how the hose routing would snake around to the back of the evaporator in the cab. I get pretty hung up unless I can visualize things. Thank you for these pictures and links to the other fittings and things needed to finish the job...
I would love to see the rest of the installation. I already have smoothed my firewall using the Vintage Air plate that comes with the pre-drilled holes, but I'd gladly re-work my firewall if I had the confidence of knowing how to do what you are doing. Plus I'd have the added benefit of getting a clean coat of paint inside my cowl.
Really love to see such high quality work like this! It makes me strive to do a better job.

Brian
I should also mention that I used the universal style vintage air system because it has all of the connections coming off to the side. It is a straight shot from where fittings come into the cab to the connections so it should be super simple. I’m not sure if the c10 specific unit would work out the same way or not. I had this idea in my head for a long time because like you say I want the firewall as clean as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
My opinion? Go ahead & do it now before assembly & paint. If/when a service issue comes up later, you'll be much happier you did.
Yea thinking more I added that to my list to make that access hole and cover.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #161
J3rm0ff

My dad was able to machine a couple pieces so I could get the dash vent pods welded in. Really happy with how they turned out. I’ve also started from scratch on the engine mounts. The 73+ style frame stands and clam shells were causing a headache trying to route the return line for the turbo especially having the ac down low still. I designed a simple mount that gives me all kinds of room to run the line and would make pulling the engine easier if I ever have to do so.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #162
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Dash looks great!
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 PM   #163
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Dash looks great!
Thanks! It has been quite the process.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 PM   #164
J3rm0ff

I got one motor mount all tacked up and ready to weld.
Attached Images

Last edited by J3rm0ff; 01-15-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #165
J3rm0ff

Got the motor mounts done and everything fit great. Also got the turbo drain line made and routed.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2020, 11:22 PM   #166
J3rm0ff

I threw the cab on to double check clearances after making the new mounts and the bulkhead fittings were surprisingly close the tire luckily the 90s will clear.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2020, 11:18 PM   #167
SCOTI

Quote:
I threw the cab on to double check clearances after making the new mounts and the bulkhead fittings were surprisingly close the tire luckily the 90s will clear.
Dang.... Those are close. What size is that tire?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #168
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Dang.... Those are close. What size is that tire?
I am not worried about the 90's there is plenty of room with them. The straight ones would never work. If I remember correctly they are 275/60/15. Which I think is taller than what I will end up running anyways.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #169
SCOTI

Quote:
I am not worried about the 90's there is plenty of room with them. The straight ones would never work. If I remember correctly they are 275/60/15. Which I think is taller than what I will end up running anyways.
28" tall if so....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-09-2020, 12:37 AM   #170
J3rm0ff

I’ve got the dash primed and started body work at least on the lower half so I can get it welded in. I know I’ve said this a million times lol. Also did some garage mods this weekend. Picked up a nice heavy steel table and put some casters in it. And moved my old bench to the other side of the garage and picked up some bolt bin storage.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #171
J3rm0ff

A 67-68 grille came up for sale locally for cheap, so I picked it up so I could use the upper insert in mine.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #172
J3rm0ff

Wow it’s been a while. Took a break from the truck and did a backyard overhaul which consumed many months and dollars. I’m back on the truck tho after doing some side jobs to recoup some funds.

I picked up a set of iforged wheels in my attempt to have full control of the specs of my wheels on a budget. It looks like the rears will be 11.5” wide with 5” lips and the fronts will be 8.5” wide with 3” lips. In the pics they are 2” lips on the front and 3” on the rear.

Other than that pretty much all the body panels have been sand blasted and are in epoxy primer now. Still have some metal work to do but will be a lot more manageable to keep everything from rusting.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #173
J3rm0ff

New lips came in. They’re 5.5” wide not 5. So tat makes the wheels 12” wide
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #174
SCOTI

Quote:
New lips came in. They’re 5.5” wide not 5. So tat makes the wheels 12” wide
I was curious of your statement....
Quote:
I picked up a set of iforged wheels in my attempt to have full control of the specs of my wheels on a budget
That budget word is what caught my attention. When I looked the wheels up, the pricing while maybe not Forgeline status still ain't cheap. Your choices do look good
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #175
J3rm0ff

Quote:
I was curious of your statement....

That budget word is what caught my attention. When I looked the wheels up, the pricing while maybe not Forgeline status still ain't cheap. Your choices do look good
I got a pretty good deal on the wheels as they were used. Thanks!

I got the rear tires mounted today. They’re 315/35/20s definitely have some work to do to the inner bed sides
Attached Images