The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
Zenwren

Making sure steering wheel is straight before alignment

My steering wheel has always been off centered going down the road, the truck has also had a couple different aftermarket wheels before I got it so I know the thing is just stuck on there in a random position. I just finished rebuilding the whole front end and it's time for an alignment. What should I do to properly center it to the steering gear before taking it in? Do I just count the turns from one lock to the other and spin it back half as many turns before putting the steering wheel on straight?
Zenwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
69GMC2004

Re: Making sure steering wheel is straight before alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenwren View Post
My steering wheel has always been off centered going down the road, the truck has also had a couple different aftermarket wheels before I got it so I know the thing is just stuck on there in a random position. I just finished rebuilding the whole front end and it's time for an alignment. What should I do to properly center it to the steering gear before taking it in? Do I just count the turns from one lock to the other and spin it back half as many turns before putting the steering wheel on straight?
First, I would center the steering box or steering rack (ie, count turns from lock to lock, then go back by half), don't worry about the wheels. Get this as close as you can then install your steering wheel where you feel it is straight.

The alignment shop should be centering the steering wheel and locking it in place during the setup, and then making any adjustments to the wheels that are required.
69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
Zenwren

That's what I thought, I just remember reading something about "never center it by using the steering wheel" maybe that was for centering the box after the column had been disconnected?
Zenwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:15 AM   #4
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenwren View Post

Do I just count the turns from one lock to the other and spin it back half as many turns before putting the steering wheel on straight?
Yep.

That way you will know if the alignment shop did their job correctly. If the steering wheel comes back crooked, you'll know something is off. I've been through about 5 alignment shops locally for the past 20 years. The majority of them are knuckleheads that just go by what the machine says. They do not understand what the dynamics of the alignment does when driving a vehicle other than what the book says.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Mike C

A good alignment shop should anchor the wheel straight ahead and align to the wheel. There is an index mark on the end of the column that points straight up when things are aligned correctly. Steering wheel should be mounted relative to that and the alignment shop should be asked to align to a straight wheel. There response should be we always do.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Making sure steering wheel is straight before alignment

Just because the steering wheel isn't center doesn't mean the guy doing the alignment doesn't know his job!

If you take a steering wheel off and have changed it out and didn't have the wheels straight are off just a bit then it's going to be off. Not the alignment guy's fault. I always drive the truck slow with the wheel loose to get it as close as possible before I take it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
clay68c10

Center the steering box, put on the wheel, then align. You should be good to go at that point.
With the box centered, the pitman and idler arms should be parallel.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Making sure steering wheel is straight before alignment

I have never had alignment shop take a steering wheel off ever in 40+ years of having alignments done to make it straight. They will tell me though that it's off after they are done.
That's all I need for them to do. I will get it straight.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
randy500
Account Suspended

I will further explain what Mike C correctly states...

The input connection for the steering box rag joint has a flat spot without splines, it points up when the steering gear box is centered.
Find the approximate center by counting turns then make the flat spot face up.
Mount the wheel straight, you will find the column shaft usually has a chisel mark pointing up.

Have it aligned, the flat spot should still be facing up and the wheel centered.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
Rods

Take the truck as is to your alinement shop ask if they will put steering wheel on straight when they are done with your alignment.

That’s it should be pretty simple......

My shop always takes steering wheel off and centers it after alignment............

Last edited by Rods; 11-20-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods View Post
Take the truck as is to your alinement shop ask if they will put steering wheel on straight when they are done with your alignment.

That’s it should be pretty simple......

My shop always takes steering wheel off and centers it after alignment............
That is absolutely not the way to do it....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #12
kwmech

Good Grief-----The alignment should be done with the box centered. We all know that. It has been my experience this does not always happen now-a-days. The only way to be sure is to center the box yourself, put the wheel on straight (with the indexing correct as already stated) ---then have it aligned. When you get it back and if the alignment was done correctly the wheel should still be straight and the truck should track straight down the road with the wheel not being jacked to one side or the other.

Maybe we should post up local alignment shops that know what they are doing. Personally I don't have any I could recommend at the moment in my area.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #13
Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
That is absolutely not the way to do it....

I would think that there would be absolutely many different ways or ideas on how to do it.

My suggestion was based on the fact that most car and truck enthusiasts have a friend or know someone in the automotive business that they can trust and who they can take there vehicle to and have work done that they either don’t have the correct machinery or knowledge to do themselves.

They trust that there preferred shop will do it correctly for them.....