The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
AJs72K5

The 67-72 One Ton Brake Booster Swap Guide ***PICS***

On these old rigs we all could use some better brake power. It doesn't matter how much horsepower and torque you put to the ground if you can't stop the truck. To upgrade the brakes on one of these rigs you have a couple of options: hydroboost or a 1 ton vacuum booster. The one ton booster was supposed to be an easy swap, so that's the direction I took.

I picked up a 1 ton booster and master cylinder combo from the local auto parts store. The most cost effective (cheap) was a Cardone model 50-1007....basically a rebuilt Delco Moraine. I wanted to make the swap as painless as possible, so I went with the booster and master cylinder combo. If you choose to go with a different brand, you'll need to get one for a 1971 or 1972 Chevy K20 or K30...other models, including GMC, will work, but that's the easiest to remember.

Once you've got your new-to-you booster, the next order of business is to remove your the old booster. Here's my old one (left) next to the new 1 ton (right). The differences are pretty easy to spot.

It appeared that the previous owner of my rig put a pre-1971 (drum/drum) booster on my 1972 K5. It's no wonder my brakes were lousy after swapping in a 14FF rear with discs.

Here you can see the difference in the lengths of the input rods. The pre-1971 being about 3.25"

The length of the input rod on the 1972 1 ton booster is about 5.5"

If you have a 1971 or 1972 1/2 ton booster your input rod will be the same length as the 1 ton. Your swap will be easy as you already have the correct bracket mounted to the firewall. It'll look like this:

If you were fortunate enough to have a 1971-1972 bracket already bolted up to your firewall, you can skip to bolting up the new booster.

However, if you have pre-1971 booster with the short input rod, your firewall bracket will look very similar, but be about 1.75" shorter.

This picture has a better measurement on the pre-1971 as I wasn't flush to the firewall in the picture above.

The pre-1971 bracket will need to be removed. I took mine off and headed to the local salvage yard in search of a 1971-1972 bracket. The two side plates are the pieces you're really concerned with. The center brake pedal lever pieces with the pins can be reused. Here you can really see the difference in the size of the two (71-72 on the left and pre-71 on the right):

Once you find them, get 'em cleaned up and painted and start reassembling the brackets. Here's the 1971-1972 assembled reusing the pre-1971 center section:

BOLTING IT ALL UP. Slide the bracket onto the studs on the firewall and run the nuts on, but leave them out about 1/4". This will give you some play to hook up the brake pedal rod and later the booster itself. After attaching the pedal rod, push the bracket and lever up against the firewall check to make sure your brake pedal hasn't come forward and turned on your brake lights. You may have to adjust the throw so that your brake light relay isn't tripped (I got everything together before realizing this and had to tear it all back apart). Assuming your pedal throw is good, line up the studs on the booster with the bracket and slide it on. Run the nuts for the booster on and leave them out about 1/4" like the bracket nuts. This will give you a little play to hook up the booster rod to the brake pedal lever on the bracket. Once you've done that, tighten the nuts for the booster and then tighten the nuts holding the bracket to the firewall. Last step: hook up the vacuum hose...it's not much of a vacuum booster without one!

The money shot:

Keep in mind that if you do go with the 1 ton master cylinder as well, that the brake line outputs are backwards from a 1/2 ton. The rear brake resevoir is in the front of the master and the front brake resevoir is in the back of the master. You can see that the lines cross in the picture above. Bench bleed your new master cylinder, hook up your lines, bleed the whole system and you'll be ready to lock up some tires.

It should also be mentioned that there are two support braces that the 71-72 booster may have. They attach from the booster to the firewall for a bit of extra support. The donor truck I pulled the bracket from did not have them...someone else already took 'em.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff

Last edited by augie; 04-04-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
1972CST

Re: The 67-72 One Ton Brake Booster Swap Guide ***PICS***

"It should also be mentioned that there are two support braces that the 71-72 booster may have. They attach from the booster to the firewall for a bit of extra support. The donor truck I pulled the bracket from did not have them...someone else already took 'em. "
AJs72K5- I was wondering if the stock 1/2 ton braces would work w/ your new set up?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
AJs72K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CST View Post
"It should also be mentioned that there are two support braces that the 71-72 booster may have. They attach from the booster to the firewall for a bit of extra support. The donor truck I pulled the bracket from did not have them...someone else already took 'em. "
AJs72K5- I was wondering if the stock 1/2 ton braces would work w/ your new set up?
Yes, they should work. My rig didn't have them, and neither did the donor rig that I got the bracket from. Hence, no braces for now.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Burt4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CST View Post
There are two braces, if you already have the longer bracket with your 1/2ton setup like I did then the one that mounts to the rear of the booster will work without mods. Now the second one that mounts to the front of the booster will be too short to reach the firewall. This is beacuse the 1ton booster is a "double pumper" = much wider than the 1/2 ton.
I used a thick spacer at the firewall to make up the diferrence....
My braking power doubled when I did the mod

Burt
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
big dump

Was just reading this because I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my stopping power as well. What application of proportioning valve are you guys using with the 1 ton setup? Stock? I notice the one pictured is brass, is there a place to find these reasonably priced, and what's the application?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
72truckman

What is the diameter of the 1972 1 ton in comparison to the regular 1/2 ton brake booster? I ask because i converted mine to hydraulic clutch and need to know if one of these will fit thanks!

****SOLD!!!!!**** 1965 GMC 4X4
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=294727
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
big dump

Well Napa has the above mentioned booster and master cylinder as a unit. It lists the Booster Diaphram Diameter as 10 3/4". I'm not sure if that includes the thickness of the sheetmetal that encapsulates the Diaphram. Probably call it 12" in diameter to be safe for a little extra room. Anyone know of a good prop valve to use or the application to look for?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
AJs72K5

Inlinetube makes direct replacement prop valves for 4 wheel disc, or disc-drum.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Burt4x4

AJ ~ Did you use the Inline P-valve?
Do you have 4w disk? can't remember..
if yes & yes what is the part number?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
big dump

Does anyone know if you can rebuild the stock prop valve since nobody seems to know if there's a good application for a replacement that works with the 1 ton setup? Do any of the aftermarket adjustable valves have provisions for the brake light sending unit?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
AJs72K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
AJ ~ Did you use the Inline P-valve?
Do you have 4w disk? can't remember..
if yes & yes what is the part number?
I am running 4 wheel disc. Part# PR102b

BUT, I'm also gonna put in a Wilwood adjustable prop valve on the rear brake line to reduce the pressure. The rears are locking up too early...even with the Inlinetube prop valve.

If I had to do it all over again, I woulda gutted the factory prop valve, and put the Wilwood valve on the rear line.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Burt4x4

If I had to do it all over again, I woulda gutted the factory prop valve, and put the Wilwood valve on the rear line.

Ya I have read about that, do you remember if you canjust "gut' the rear or when you "gut" the p-valve does it affect both and the inline on the rear is your only p-valve?
Sounds cheeper to gut it!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
tawd77

Just to clarify for everyone, If upgrading to the 1 ton booster, you are not required to get the 1 ton master cylinder. You just have to retain the longer pushrod from the 1/2 ton booster, and slide it in the 1 ton booster, and the 1/2 ton master cylinder works great with it!!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Burt4x4

The mount too the boster is the same but would I do that...no, mainly cuz I wouldn't want an old master on my new booster. Remember too the 1Ton master is plumbed opposite of the 1/2 ton. Read that paragraph under the last pic in AJ's post^^^^
You can get a new master for like 30bucks at Autozone. Worth the peace of mind too me

Oh and you can buy replacement brake lines that go Master too Pvalve from inlinetube.com for like 25bucks and they fit perfectly.

Last edited by augie; 04-04-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
tawd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
The mount too the boster is the same but would I do that...no, mainly cuz I wouldn't want an old master on my new booster. Remember too the 1Ton master is plumbed opposite of the 1/2 ton. Read that paragraph under the last pic in AJ's post^^^^
You can get a new master for like 30bucks at Autozone. Worth the peace of mind too me

Oh and you can buy replacement brake lines that go Master too Pvalve from inlinetube.com for like 25bucks and they fit perfectly.

So, your telling me I should replace my brake master cylinder, that was replaced less than a year a go, and works perfectly, because I put a new booster on? That makes no sense. If its isnt broke, Im not going to fix it. If the master cylinder does go out, I will be replacing it with a 1/2 ton master cylinder. The brakes work twice as good as they did before, so there is no need for the 1 ton master cylinder. It just makes it a pain, to have to switch brake lines around....
Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
swyfor5

Or-- you could just buy the whole setup from one of our fine boardmembers here like I did. 1 Ton booster, 1 Ton master cylinder, prop valve for 4 wheel disc brakes, brackets, rod, boot, etc. Yet to be installed, but one sweet looking setup! Tried to post some pic's, but computer is not cooperating right now, need some help, will post up asap.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
swyfor5

Here's some pics!
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
tawd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyfor5 View Post
Here's some pics!
That a good looking unit! But all I was trying to say is, If your booster goes bad, and there is nothing wrong with your master cylinder, its possible to just swap in a 1 ton booster, and it will work properly, and greatly improve your braking.

I had no reason to replace the brackets, master cylinder, proportioning valve, etc... That would have been a huge waste of money.. $90, and my brakes work better than new!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #19
tawd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE THUNDER View Post
So, I can use my existing master cylinder and just swap out the booster. Sweet. I need to do this. I've noticed that sometimes I don't have enough braking power even with 33's I'm anxious to try this swap.

Yep, the little rod between your booster and master cylinder will have to be reused with the 1 ton booster. The 1 ton booster comes with a rod that is much shorter.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #20
AJs72K5

Keeping the thread clean since it's supposed to be a guide...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with just upgrading the booster. A number of guys have done just that. I started this thread to answer some of the common questions that a number have come across when doing the swap. As mentioned in the first post, out of shear convenience I elected to get the master too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
SeventyOne

SWYfor5 - did you buy that all as a kit? New parts? Needing to replace all my braking components when I get to that part of my resto and that seems like an easy way to go...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #22
swyfor5

SeventyOne, yes, I bought it complete as you see in the pic's. All new parts. It is a sweet setup, cost just over $300.00, but well worth it to me as in not having to search around and find all the right parts. Bought it from boardmember Frank/aka/Pickmup. Great guy to deal with, and man this is a nice setup, can't wait to get it installed! When I first started researching this swap, he didn't sell this combo, but he designed this setup with the prop valve for 4 wheel disc's and should work great! Check him out! He is in Olympia, Wa.
Closed Thread