The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #51
slategrove

Re: First Post looking for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen65 View Post
you may have to rebuild the carb ,,,to make it work right,,if it's been awhile since it's been running maybe the gaskets need to be replaced. just my thoughts on this one .

cool results on your registration, keep plugging ,,it'll come around to were you get it all done.
Thanks seldom...I picked up the carb rebuild kit Friday at my local NAPA, will be tackling that soon enough (maybe today)...

just wondering what people may think is causing the problem? Is it possible that with the choke on (making the engine run richer) it could spit gas out through the gaskets, and then not do it when it's running more lean (after choke is off)??? Would like to wrap my head around why it's happening, as well as fixing it.
slategrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #52
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slategrove View Post
Thanks seldom...I picked up the carb rebuild kit Friday at my local NAPA, will be tackling that soon enough (maybe today)...

just wondering what people may think is causing the problem? Is it possible that with the choke on (making the engine run richer) it could spit gas out through the gaskets, and then not do it when it's running more lean (after choke is off)??? Would like to wrap my head around why it's happening, as well as fixing it.
yes,, don't hold the choke closed to long, these ole stove bolts tend to take there time warming up in the morning. give Gus (cool name for your truck) some time to warm up and hold the choke half after start up ,, until it gets some life in the engine.. good thought thou, holding the choke will flood the carb and cause what your experiencing
Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #53
slategrove

Thanks seldom for helping me wrap my head around what was going wrong and why is was happening...just rebuilt the carb today, got it all back together, and GUS seems to be very happy...a little timing might make him really happy, I'll see if I can get to that this week.

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #54
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Thumbs up Re: First Post looking for help

Quote:
Thanks seldom for helping me wrap my head around what was going wrong and why is was happening...just rebuilt the carb today, got it all back together, and GUS seems to be very happy...a little timing might make him really happy, I'll see if I can get to that this week.

Thanks,
glad to have helped with your problem ,,that's why there are a lot of guys that have gone through what your going through and of course we can help when possible. let me know if i can help you any time OK,, got me a digital camera now so I'll be posting some of my pics of my good ole friend "the ghost", it's a 70 Chevy half'er ,been busy with other things I'm going to buckle down and finish it now.. glad to hear that GUS is doing better, keep up with the title thing and you'll getter done soon enough. looks like every thing is coming together,,great,,
Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #55
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Thumbs up Re: First Post looking for help

Quote:

Thanks,
glad to have helped with your problem ,,that's why there are a lot of guys that have gone through what your going through and of course we can help when possible. let me know if i can help you any time OK,, got me a digital camera now so I'll be posting some of my pics of my good ole friend "The Ghost", it's a 70 Chevy half'er ,been busy with other things I'm going to buckle down and finish it now.. glad to hear that GUS is doing better, keep up with the title thing and you'll getter done soon enough. looks like every thing is coming together,,great,,

Last edited by seldomseen65; 05-10-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: delete this post
seldomseen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #56
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

opps double posted, not cool,sorry
Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #57
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
CS147Z100490... this makes it a very very early 67, most likely built in the summer of 66. That is possibly the oldest 67 on here... it was the 490th off the assembly line in Freemont. (califorrnia I think?) That is most likely the first week of production.
The problem you may have, is you have no documentation of the VIN tag being swapped out. If they have any issues with it tell them to call kentucky since you say it looks like a state issued plate.
I'm curiouse on how the old VIN plate was unreadable... it was supposed to be 2 plates that had only embossed numbers and letters. Nothing was painted/printed on there.
Either way, if they give you crap, show them the frame rail that you cleaned up, and the fact that the number on the state issued plate and the title all match. I would tripple check it one number/letter at a time and make 100% sure they do. My '70 one ton's frame is one chassis older than the cab. The frame reads 0B160292, while the title has 0B160293. I figure they dropped a cab on the assembly line, or there was a defective cab found, and the numbers were off for a short bit till one end of the line got ahold of the other end of the line and told them to skip a number.
He's got me beat by 400 trucks - mine was the 871st truck made in Freemont, in September of '66. Pretty cool to see the history of trucks.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #58
slategrove

The title is all taken care of...finally!!! Thanks for all your words of support and suggestions!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #59
Skirkpat

Quote:

When gas dumps out the carb ( occasionaly ) Could be two things, stuck float, or a stuck needle. My Chevord does it ( actually pees out the vent tube ,and from the bottom )since it has not moved much in a while. Hit it with a hammer (redneck repair), or do it right and rebuild, make sure to concentrate on the float pivot point.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote