The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
jfnar

Leaning to the left, not politically but in my truck.

My 68 gmc swb sits a little low on the driver's side. When I measure from side to side on the body, it's about 1 inch lower on the left than on the right; front and back. I first thought it would be weak springs but I've crawled around under it with a tape measure and I can't find anything that points to springs. I park it on my level driveway and measure from the ground to different places on the frame and it always comes out about the same from left to right. The body mounts are rough looking and need to be replaced but they measure the same thickness on one side as the other. Is there something else I can check? Do I just need to shim it up a little when I replace the rubber mounts to even it out? I think if it was 1/2" or less it would not be noticeable. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Leaning to the left, not politically but in my truck.

Unless you leveled the driveway yourself, it has a slope of about 1/8" per foot for rain run off. Try turning the truck around in the driveway and see if the lowness switches sides. It could just be an optical artifact of the driveway slope. BTDT

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
AussieinNC

Grab yourself 4 car stands, set each to same height and jack up the truck, placing the jack stands under the chassis rails not under the suspension components.

Now measure the distance from ground to cab lower edge front of each door and rear of each door...making sure you pick the same point on each side to measure against.

By placing the car stands under the chassis you eliminate suspension failures

If you get different measurements side to side, it is usually the cab mount sections failing...sometimes its the rubber components, but usually its the cab mounts rusting away and collapsing...

Spacing them up with washers is a bad idea as the cab mount will only continue to fail...replacement cab mounts are available...

BTW...it is usually a good idea the replace all cab mounts at same time...

Have fun...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
jfnar

Since I was measuring from the frame to the concrete it really doesn't matter if the driveway has a little slope. I think the measurements I've already made point to the mounts being the most likely suspects. I already have a new set of rubber mounts but haven't had time to put them in. I have a few other sheet metal / welding projects to take care of when I have the time so I'll add this to the list. I'm just taking care of small issues now as I have a little time but I have too many irons in the fire right now to start dissecting and rebuilding. Next opportunity I get I'll crawl back under and take a closer look at the body mounts. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
AussieinNC

Here is a sample of the carnage that is usual with these cab mounts...

Attached Images

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Coley

Smile Re: Leaning to the left, not politically but in my truck.

Leaning to the left....thank god its only the cab, lol.
You scared the heck out of me with that title.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
jfnar

I found the problem. If I measure to the bottom of the cab mounting brackets that rivet to the frame, the left is within 1/8" of the right. If I measure to the top of the bracket, where the rubber biscuit sits, the left side is 9/16" lower than the right. There's no noticeable rot or distortion but something has to be wrong. I've ordered new brackets and I'll change them and the rubber mounts and see where that puts me. It should be much better.