The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
78GMC_truck

Stock and drop formula, wheel vintiques?

So according the Squarebody syndicate formula on their website they suggest you custom order the 62 series steels wheels from Wheel Vintiques. Front wheels 15x8 with a 4" backspace and the rears 15x10 with a 5" backspace.

I called Wheel Vintiques yesterday to order these wheels with the custom backspace. They said that they can only do the 15x8 in 4 1/4" backspace and NOT the 4". They did mention that if I ordered the wheel inverse (flipped around) that only then they could get the backspace to 4". But that would give a slightly different lip appearance.

My question is what kind of fitment issues would I have if I ordered the 4 1/4" backspace on the 15x8 (front wheels)?

Is there any other company that makes the O.E looking steels wheels that I can custom order the backspace and still be able to install the poverty caps/dog dishes.

thank you for your time.
78GMC_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Stock and drop formula, wheel vintiques?

The 4.25" BS will work as well. There could be a possible interference issue @ the lower control arm when using some drop spindles. It's a simple (& common) fix that requires trimming the lip back (also referred as 'trimming the rain gutter') between the BJ & shock mount tab area.

Also, ordering a 'custom' back space is (was?) $25 extra per wheel.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-04-2019 at 02:10 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
78GMC_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The 4.25" BS will work as well. There could be a possible interference issue @ the lower control arm when using some drop spindles. It's a simple (& common) fix that requires trimming the lip back (also referred as 'trimming the rain gutter') between the BJ & shock mount tab area.

Also, ordering a 'custom' back space is (was?) $25 extra per wheel.

Hey thanks man! Yes its 25 extra per wheel but the guy said they couldn't make it with the 4" backspace. The lowest he would go is 4.25". I guess I'll just order them anyways. Thanks
Old 06-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78GMC_truck View Post
Hey thanks man! Yes its 25 extra per wheel but the guy said they couldn't make it with the 4" backspace. The lowest he would go is 4.25". I guess I'll just order them anyways. Thanks
They'll work fine. Just check for the clearance issue mentioned (usually occurs near full lock/turn) & tweak the a-arms if necessary.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Mathew21

When I ordered Wheel Vintiques Wheels the price was cheaper through Summit racing then it was through Wheel Vintiques. That was a few years ago but it worth be worth checking. Summit also has free shipping on orders above $99.00.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...cending&page=1
Old 06-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew21 View Post
When I ordered Wheel Vintiques Wheels the price was cheaper through Summit racing then it was through Wheel Vintiques. That was a few years ago but it worth be worth checking. Summit also has free shipping on orders above $99.00.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...cending&page=1
Last ones I ordered were also cheaper through Summit but you can't get 'custom' BS; only standard. Might be different now so it's worth asking.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
blazer2007

Since your in Tacoma phone the old car center in Van.B.C. They sell WV but they told me of another place in Ca. not stockton wheel but another that I can,t remember. They said people were getting PO at the wait time from WV
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Loco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
Since your in Tacoma phone the old car center in Van.B.C. They sell WV but they told me of another place in Ca. not stockton wheel but another that I can,t remember. They said people were getting PO at the wait time from WV
Probably these guys,
https://thewheelsmith.net/wheel-catalog
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78GMC_truck View Post
I called Wheel Vintiques yesterday to order these wheels with the custom backspace. They said that they can only do the 15x8 in 4 1/4" backspace and NOT the 4". They did mention that if I ordered the wheel inverse (flipped around) that only then they could get the backspace to 4". But that would give a slightly different lip appearance.
That sounds bizarre to me, what was their reason for refusing? Unless it is some sort of safety/engineering concern I would call again and try to talk to someone else: custom means custom. I bought the below wheels off of them and they made them to my specs: six bolt, 17 inch, with modern chev backspacing; the truck sits on a 97 Tahoe chassis.

At any rate, I am sure that 4.25 is fine.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
78GMC_truck

Thumbs up Re: Stock and drop formula, wheel vintiques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco83 View Post

Yup, I just called these guys and they made me the ones I want! The Wheel Smith FTW! Thanks