The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #51
timzrides

Re: Not Bad for Spray Paint!

Who cares!!!. If he want to use a spray can...spray it on cheap...he changing the look that suites him. how many use cheapo spray paint to touch up a frame or somewhere its not going to be seen....is this the correct way. i'm going with HotGMC on this one. if you saw someone putting oil in their radiator, you would tell them. if someone started a thread about using pliers and a screwdriver, you would be WOW...he did that with only those tools...not have you heard of a socket set...for what its worth, you could comment on everyones truck on this site that is in primer and say..why is it in primer...why would you put the truck all back together only to have to take it back apart to paint...come on..i've seen others post how they rattle canned their truck and people didn't bust their b***s...Go paint the rest of the truck and give us a picture...good luck
Old 04-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #52
vintagesteel

That's fine. Like I said I shouldnt have posted like I did. Prep is the KEY to a fabulous job. If you take your time, it doesnt take truck loads of cash to have a bada$$$ truck. Once I figure out how to get pics resized the way I need them i'll post on the body side. I done a 67 GTO with NASON bc/cc and had @600 including primer, in materials. It doesnt cost $5-10000 to have a great paint job.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #53
lax54650

your truck looks good. what work you have done shows you care alot about it. for rattle can it looks great! it is not easy to keep a panel that big wet and make it flow and shine. i bet with time if you rent a compresser and buy a gun ( spray gun). does not have to be a new $300 gun.you could lay a killer paint job down. my advise is ,as an ex pro. leave the rattle can for brackets and small stuff. vintage is correct the rattle can blue will have to come off. but it is not like you did the whole truck with it. and it does look good!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #54
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzrides View Post
if someone started a thread about using pliers and a screwdriver, you would be WOW...he did that with only those tools...not have you heard of a socket set
No, I would ask them if they needed a set and then go buy them one. I am not into using the wrong tool for the job, never have, never will. I am not busting anyones b**** as you have stated, just saying that paint/body work is no different than mechanical work. If you do the job poorly using second rate materials/parts with the wrong tools for the job, then you will pay for it later.

I am not saying that GMC did anything wrong.... just suggesting a different way of looking at things. I care about the way his truck turns out and I know from experience the best bang for the buck. I am not rich, I use my money wisely with my truck. Heck one of the reasons I learned how to do body and paint work to begin with was so I wouldn't have to pay anyone to do it for me!

Like Vintagesteel said. Do the prep yourself, take your time and then have One Day or Macco spray it. I have done several of these myself when I didn't have access to a paint area. Works OK and saves tons of $$$. Nothing wrong with suggesting that.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 04-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #55
orangek5

looks like a Muscle truck
1972 Short Stepside 305ci v8
1972 Blazer 2WD CST LS9 350ci 4sp
1999 4 Door LB 1 Ton Old Body Style 5.7 v8
Old 04-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #56
BADSAM
J'ville Junkman

HOTGMC, I LOVE your truck and I completely understand. Been there done that. Sometimes it's not about making it perfect, just a little better because you are proud of it. Also, it's also not always about the money, sometimes there are other factors ... confidence, time, expectations.

Once again, awesome truck.
57 Chevy 210 Wagon - 9 Passenger (Wife's project-working on floorpans)
73 Corvette (17 yr old daughter's: Another project - what's wrong with me?)
53 Willys M38
Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #57
HotGMC

thanks badsam
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #58
allen123
It'll buff out

Awesome truck! I really like the scheme you went with

Don't listen to vintage steel.

Get off his back not everybody has the money to get a professional paint job. I could paint my truck at vo tech and it would be fairly cheap and better than a rattle can but I dont have the money and I have rattle job because I have bigger things to worry about such as my engine vibration. How do you know he's not trying to save up for something like that.
Sorry for arguing on here i know its useless but that just kind of pissed me off

My Build
Cody Allen
Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #59
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

WOW! I am amazed at how off track everyone has taken this post.

I am also astounded that you guys didn't head the advice of the moderators when they stepped in and asked you to let it go.

Please remember, friendly advice is appreciated. A know it all attitude is not. Please try to stay in the appreciated category in the future.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Closed Thread